"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Anyone use a Swiffer WetJet?

If you do, how do you like it? It is for a large (1000 sq ft) tile floor.

thanks.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

it works great for me. kinda expensive for refills though.

babe

Old 04-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Master Chef

I think it is a waste of money for what it is. Agree with babe... buying those expensive refills is nonsense.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I use one, but am not crazy about it. The pads get dirty real quick and then I feel like I am just pushing dirt around. For small areas it is OK, but for larger areas like what you will be using it for you will be going through pads pretty quickly.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've seen them advertised on TV but it's probably not practical for our house. Very irregular wood floors and a lot of them. I've wondered how efficient and cost-effective they are.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

I had one and agree with GB. It wasn't all it was cracked up to be. The slate tiles in my foyer are uneven and the swiffer never cleaned them well. My white kitchen floor always looked dingy after using the wet jet too. I donated mine to the church garage sale and do not regret it one bit. I use the dry pads to pick up the dog hair and the wet pads to do quick mop jobs when I spill. I'm considering the Hoover Floormate. It's a floor scrubber similar to a carpet cleaner.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Head Chef

Funny you should mention it. I acidentally picked up their vacuum broom, thinking it was the wet jet. When I went to their site & watched the videos/demos, saw you have to buy batteries & keep buying their product (refill wipes). Not worth it, for me.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone.

I guess I'll just pass on it then. It looks like they get you for the pads and then for the cleaner, and then you need batteries too.

I love my little dry swifter, it does a great job on dust and dog hair. I have a 16 lb short haired Chihuahua, and he sheds like crazy.

But he's such a sweet boy..........
Old 04-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
...I guess I'll just pass on it then. It looks like they get you for the pads and then for the cleaner, and then you need batteries too.
That was my impression, as well. Think I will pack mine up & get a refund. My Irobot picks up all the dust etc. anyhew.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I have one of the original ones, which I use for my kitchen. It's OK. I never purchased refill cleaning solution, preferring to use a mixture of white vinegar and water. If I need stronger cleaning solution, I have a spray bottle that has a detergent solution which I spray on the floor as I'm mopping. I didn't especially care for the swiffer brand cleaning solution - it seemed to leave a residue behind. Also, instead of their disposable pads, I use a microfiber cloth, which I can wash and I purchased from Sam's in a big bundle for ~10. The original wet jet had 4 little rubber openings on the top of the "business end" which was the method for fastening a cleaning pad. I think the newer ones have a velcro type bottom to attach the pads to. I don't know if the microfiber cloths would work with the newer ones. Sooo that's a long story but for me, the bottom line is it's very convenient and quick since I don't use the branded consumables.

Jabbur, I also have a Floormate. It's a very good machine and cleans well and I use it for heavy floor cleaning. It's less convenient that a wet jet because you have a fairly small cup for the dirty water and a fairly large cup for the cleaning solution. There is also a filter. You must clean the dirty water chamber and the filter pretty much every time. Also, if you are cleaning a large area, you will have to stop and empty the cup and refill the solution several times. That said, the scrubbing brushes work very well and it really does vacuum up the water well - the floor is almost dry immediately after cleaning. My mother and daughter both have one because they can use it on their Pergo-type floors since it sucks up all the cleaning water so effectively. But it isn't quite as quick and trouble-free to use as their marketing might imply.

HTH