Anyone use flickr.com?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pot clanger

Senior Cook
I was introduced to a photo sharing site called flickr.com - it is a sister company to yahoo.com and consequently you must have an account with yahoo to use flickr.... that no big deal to me.

I found flickr to be easier to manipulate/post, and less cluttered by "options" other sites had (like facebook or myspace) like needing to choose songs, wallpapers, favorite "anythings," and other "stuff" I find irrelevant and annoying. It's more about appreciating images than being a platform for social networking/dating (which I am so not in the market for....).

That being said, does anyone here have any experience with photo sharing groups like flickr? What do you like/dislike about it/them? :question:

It used to be a start-up before it was bought by Yahoo. I don't have an account there, but I do use it occasionally.

Flickr is probably the biggest photo sharing site; there's also Google's Picassa which is a photo gallery and image editor. (Though i'd recommend Photoshop or GIMP if you're serious with image editing) There are the image hosting sites like photobucket.com and xs.to if you just need a place to store images. And finally, there are sites like Snapfish which large companies set up which have similar features to the others, but are focused on getting you to use their printing service.

Most of what I've heard about Flickr has been that it's a really good service--though some people got mad for various reasons (not wanting a Yahoo account, confusion thinking they'd have to re-signup, etc--do a blog search) when Yahoo bought it and integrated Flickr's accounts and Yahoo accounts. If I needed a photo sharing/online album-type site (and didn't want to set up something on one of my own sites), I'd use Flickr.

Last edited:
I will use it somtimes. I use photobucket. No reason for one over the other, just found photobucket first and i don't want to transfer all my pics. lol

Stacy: That's how I'm feeling here... no offense to DC, but I figure that I've already uploaded all the pics I care to put "out there" in the world on flickr..... and then there's the fact that I can be laaaaazy.... much easier to manage ONE page, and I figure if anyone cares to experience any minutia of my silly life, they can go there and check it.

Stacy: That's how I'm feeling here... no offense to DC, but I figure that I've already uploaded all the pics I care to put "out there" in the world on flickr..... and then there's the fact that I can be laaaaazy.... much easier to manage ONE page, and I figure if anyone cares to experience any minutia of my silly life, they can go there and check it.

Oh, I still bring my pics here. All it consist of is click, it copies itself, then paste here, that it. Photobucket is my go between where I find my graphics and DC and Myspace.

The site that I like ( and I have tried just about all the ones you can imagine) is Fotki.com. It is heads and shoulders above any other photo site. I have about 10,000 photos or more on the site right now. It is easy to organize, share, view, order, sell, and do other things with your photos. I have had an account there for years and have not found any other photo site that even comes close.

This is my fotki site in case anyone is interested.

Last edited:
I'm a Flickr user....have all my photos stored there. Lots of my friends use it as well as it's a great site for sharing photos. I like how you can mark favorites and have the option to view recently uploaded pics from your contacts.

I'm on Flickr but not really a user.

What drew me to Flickr was I read somewhere the Library of Congress (LOC) had partnered with an on line service to make the LOCs graphics archive (more) available to the public. I went looking and located Flickr. Seems I had to join in order to leave comments and notes.

(Should be noted the actual LOC archives are open to the public. The LOC archives on Flickr are mostly resized and compressed versions of whats available in the actual LOC site. Mostly/ Mainly the LOC versions are high res TIF files.)

With the number and size of files I use on line it is subjectively all around better and easier for me to maintain a url and use a web host. I have created multiple sub domains (ie: dc.stang2.com) on the Stang2 host to keep track of content.

At Flickr I partake of the social networking and the the graphics in my Photostream are intended for use only within Flickr.

I've been into photography for decades, I got my first SLR in '80, photo classes 82~4, have/had a dark room, got my first digital in '99 (eBay), and a D40 dSLR last November. Super Cool thing is the old manual lenses I had for the Nikon work on the D40 (I'm doing the Snoopy Dance!)

I would love to ramble on about Flikr and my renewed interest in photography but I have to get to Wally World for a printer cartridge and check the flour and yeast prices. I can go either straight up a state route ort the back roads. One of my Flikr groups is Rural Ohio Photography. Guess which route I'm taking!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom