Anyone with experience with traveling on Greyhound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
My son is leaving on the 16th to Greensboro, North Carolina. None of us have ever travelled other than driving ourselves. Is there anything that my son needs to know? Any tips on the stops or anything? We are sending money ahead to my friend, where he is staying, so that he isn't traveling with a lot of money. He also has 3 transfers. Does this happen at Greyhound locations or what? He's nervous about getting lost somehwhere or not finding the correct bus to transfer to.

Last edited:
auntdot said:
Texasgirl, may I ask how old your son is?

He's 21, auntdot. He's old enough to do this on his own, but, never has before. So, I was getting some tips for him.

As far as I know, if you travel on Greyhound, they stop at Greyhound bus stations and then you transfer to whatever bus he was assigned to. Ask your son to call Greyhound to ask about it, or have him look up Greyhound online.

I hate to say it, I have had bad luck. I have used them twice, both with less then desirable results. Lets put it this way:Baltimore to Hampton roads....10 hours!

As far as stops go, tell him to just listen up for the stop he needs. the drivers do not have an intercom. If I am not mistaken, this line ends in Norfolk, a far cry from N.C.

Best of luck, I don't want to scare you or your boy.

I remember the Norfolk Greyhound station, dimly. It was one of the places we used to live in while my father was in the US Navy.

I haven't travelled on Greyhound in about 20 years. My other half, PeppA, travelled on Greyhound from Jackson, MI, to Tulsa, OK, the first time she came down to visit when we were first dating. What would normally take 16 or so hours to drive took her 24 hours by bus, with a layover in Chicago, the driver getting lots, and get this, they don't drive on the interstate! They take the smaller state highways and visit all the little towns in between.

Well, he said anything is better than flying. He is like me and dh, flying is for birds. LOL
Thanks for all of your help.

I LOVE traveling on AMTRAK, but I have traveled on Greyhound as well. The first time was by myself when I was 19 (from California to Minnesota) and the last time was with James last year. On my first trip a kind of sleazy guy kept wanting me to go to the back to party with him and his friends. Finally I took my Bible out and started reading it. He stopped bothering me. :LOL: I do know that Greyhound is not made for anyone with restless leg syndrome or for anyone who can't fit comfortably in the seats (not a lot of leg room) or sit for long periods of time. Tell your son to bring plenty to snack on and plenty of water or something else to drink. And check into AMTRAK. Definitely better.

:) Barbara

texasgirl said:
Well, he said anything is better than flying. He is like me and dh, flying is for birds. LOL
Thanks for all of your help.

Flying>greyhound. Just my oppinion...not to mention WAY quicker and more then likely along the same price line now'a days.

Fear of flying is easily remedied by a good stiff beverage too.:)

Traveling on Greyhound can be an absolute nightmare. I've done it a couple times. They stop often enough to fulfill any needs for basic purchases, but its still an incredibly uncomfortable way to travel. The passengers are mostly of the undesirable type, the bus itself tends to reak of sweat and other bodily odors from the inside out, and it takes forever to get anywhere. I recommend only doing it on the premise of cost savings alone, and never more than a 12 hour trip. Otherwise you will lose your sanity minute by minute that follows.

I checked out Amtrak. It will take just as long that way, but, is almost $200 more. He's pretty laid back and can handle sitting for long periods of time. I know he is going to take a gameboy, or whatever they're called now. That will help. He will leave 9am on a Monday and get into N. Carolina about 5:15 pm Tues. I think he knows how boring it will be, but, we drove from here to N. Carolina and then to W. Virgina before, so, he at least knows how long of a drive it will be. Thanks for all of your help!! I think now, he's just nervous about the transfers. Making sure he finds the right bus, etc...

Wow, Dove, I didn't think about that. I wonder if the times that they are showing is my time on arrival or their time. I'll have to find out for my friend.

I took a short trip on Greyhound and they make the necessary stops and make sure that if you are changing buses you on the right one. They run their business very well and I know your 21 year old son will be okay.

That was a good idea that he isn't carrying much money. Relax and know that your son will have a wonderful trip.

:) See what you can find here
http
://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

If you want I can check it out for you just PM me your town so I can find the closest Texas station you can also buy your ticket in line if you want.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom