Aporkalypse!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(And the Chi-Trib article...)

Well first of all you've reminded me that I haven't made rumaki in a long time, and I've got to put an end to that right now. (Let's see now, chicken livers or duck livers???) Second, also reminded I haven't had a BLT in a long time (or BELT, same + a fried egg), gotta do that again soon too. And club sandwiches... :)

But no baby back ribs??? Oh nooooooes! :ohmy: And my pork chops in pineapple curry sauce??? Won't be quite the same without pork although it can be transliterated into chicken etc.

I'm very fond of Asian cuisine, and you know how that works out: Choice of chicken, beef, pork or shrimp (shrimp $2 extra). I guess if we don't got pigs I'll just cook the same recipes with chicken/beef/shrimp/lamb etc.

The Chi-Trib story doesn't make a lot of sense to me, maybe because I don't understand farming? If the farmers are culling their pig herds (flocks? covens?) then they won't have anything to sell next year... Seems to me like they're going to be in a bad place if they cut the supply. I don't see the price/demand curve giving them an equivalent income if the supply drops and demand increases at the higher price. Like I said, people will just switch to chicken/beef/shrimp/lamb (shrimp $2 extra).

Maybe chicken is the new red meat... ;)

Um, could somebody please make me a porktini? ;) :pig: Shaken, not stirred... ;) :pig:

Last edited:
I heard on the radio yesterday that Canadian farmers are only culling their heards by about 105 so we may be ok up here. Bacon will be in demand. I would have to say that I eat pork quite a bit but rarely eat bacon....

img_1189576_0_6ef1c445e830874566ed720ea713a361.jpg

The Chi-Trib story doesn't make a lot of sense to me, maybe because I don't understand farming? If the farmers are culling their pig herds (flocks? covens?) then they won't have anything to sell next year... Seems to me like they're going to be in a bad place if they cut the supply. I don't see the price/demand curve giving them an equivalent income if the supply drops and demand increases at the higher price.
You're joking, right? If not, quite simply, farmers switch to another commodity or the bank forecloses and there is a huge auction and the family farm is sold. Personally, everyone who eats should understand farming. Farmers grow what we eat. Google "understanding farming" to gain some insight.

There are three collective nouns used for a group of pigs: drift, herd, or team.

Last edited:
I know several farmers in this area who have switched to raising lamb. They get good prices for the lamb, they can pasture them, switching to finishing them with grain about a month before they go for slaughter. Others have switched to goat for the same reason. Adult ewes weigh less than sows so are cheaper to over winter. Others have switched to turkeys or broilers.

Last edited:
Lambcon just doesn't have the same ring to it. Or the same flavor I would imagine. :(

I don't know that one could make a similar product...turkey bacon just isn't bacon. I checked the pork futures this afternoon. Right now, the prices are mixed, whereas cattle futures are slightly higher. The problem with futures and trying to guess if prices will go up or down is if the farmer opts to sell before the contract date.

Will all those empty tin cans and other vessels that we store bacon fat in go to the Smithsonian? Will they become valuable antiques? Will illegal bacon fat become the new "drug of choice?" Will we all take to sniffing bacon fat? The world is going to hell in a hand basket. :angel:

Stocked up this weekend on bacon (and some other pork) at Costco.
Got 12 packs of bacon at $3.79 each.
Checked the Kroger store later, the no name generic crap
bacon was 3.89, all the brand names ranged from $4.75 to $8.99.

Back
Top Bottom