"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Master Chef

The pastor is a she. With a 15 member church.

The heart of the matter is the insulting note she wrote.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Master Chef

I agree.

Though Applebee's was within its rights to do what they did.

This situation isn't about a mandatory gratuity.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
If she serves say 10 plates to one table, she's saving herself time and steps opposed to serving several tables. The norm around here is 20% for good to average service so she's lost out at 18% tacked onto the check. I think most people find the automatic "tip" offensive.
nah Large parties monopolize your time. I'll take 5 tables of two over a party of 10 at one table every time. The tips average out very nicely when you have 5 tables because there's always a good tipper that more than makes up for the cheap SOB.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
Master Chef

Party of 8 and the bill came to just $34? What did they have? Just coffee? I would have rounded it off to $40 for taking up the table space.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Party of 8 and the bill came to just $34? What did they have? Just coffee? I would have rounded it off to $40 for taking up the table space.
as far as I know the bill was split up...
Old 02-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

If the restaurant's policy to charge an 18% tip for parties 8+ is printed on the menu, the pastor had (1) the option to select a different restaurant; (2) speak to the manager before ordering. Should the waitress of posted it? Probably not. Did this warrant her getting fired? Not if it wasn't in the employee handbook. Maybe suspended for a week, but fired?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Right or wrong, adding an automatic service charge to a large party's bill is fairly common. You are told up front and have an opportunity to object at that time.

The pastor was embarrassed by her actions, not the waitress'. If she hadn't written a smart ass comment, this never happened.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Right or wrong, adding an automatic service charge to a large party's bill is fairly common. You are told up front and have an opportunity to object at that time.

The pastor was embarrassed by her actions, not the waitress'. If she hadn't written a smart ass comment, this never happened.
I agree. If she was going to be embarrassed by her actions, she shouldn't have written it. It's true that the server shouldn't have posted it, but since the picture doesn't contain any personal info from the card, I think a formal write up should have sufficed.

Also, the check was split, which is why the total is so low.

I wish the 18% gratuity wasn't necessary, but unfortunately there are plenty of people who would happily stiff the server who gave perfectly great service, never mind the fact that she makes minimum wage or less, and pays taxes on 10% of sales, regardless of whether or not it's received. I have basically paid to serve people enough times to be grateful for the gratuity. Whether or not it is printed on the menu, it IS optional. That's why it is still called a gratuity, not a fee. Someone happy with the service would likely be too embarrassed to ask to have it taken off, and if someone is unhappy with the service I'm sure the manager would like to know about it, anyway. If the restaurant picks and chooses what checks to add it to, it is profiling and opening them up to a lawsuit. Adding it to every large party protects the server from being ripped off, and protects the restaurant from being accused of discriminating. If you take a big party, and miss out on other tables, it hurts way more to be stiffed than it would from a 2-6 person table. Just my two cents.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I agree. If she was going to be embarrassed by her actions, she shouldn't have written it. It's true that the server shouldn't have posted it, but since the picture doesn't contain any personal info from the card, I think a formal write up should have sufficed.

It had the pastor's signature, which is how this came to light in the first place ...
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

It had the pastor's signature, which is how this came to light in the first place ...
Whoops- you're right. I guess she should have blacked or cropped that out if she insisted on posting it (which as funny as it was, was really dumb).