Appliance mutiny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
Okay since summer, my fridge has needed a new compressor (lucky was still under warranty), two weeks ago a new ice maker, then the washer. Mind you all these appliances are between 3 yrs. and 5 yrs. As I sit here with the washing machine repair man, I hear him say "oooh" He brought a defective part. AUGH! I want to go and find all my old appliances that serviced me well for many years and buy them back!

Just replaced my coffee pot too. No fault of the coffee maker but that of my clumsy husband. I am so frustrated.

Thanks to anyone who listened to me!:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

I hear you just replaced a washer that was 4yrs old the one before that lasted almost 10yrs, they definately don't make things like they use to!!!!!!

Okay since summer, my fridge has needed a new compressor (lucky was still under warranty), two weeks ago a new ice maker, then the washer. Mind you all these appliances are between 3 yrs. and 5 yrs. As I sit here with the washing machine repair man, I hear him say "oooh" He brought a defective part. AUGH! I want to go and find all my old appliances that serviced me well for many years and buy them back!

Just replaced my coffee pot too. No fault of the coffee maker but that of my clumsy husband. I am so frustrated.

Thanks to anyone who listened to me!:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:
Were your old fridge and washer the same brand as the new one's?

When it rains it pours......

Boy, you ain't kiddin'!
Sorry about your troubles, elaine.
We have service people/outfits down here that do the
repairs, and you can buy an annual contract with them then.
It covers all major appliances and A/C, water heaters, things like that.
Should anything go wrong, it's free.
One is called ServiceAmerica.
I'll see if I can find something online about how that works and get back to you.
I'm sure most areas have service co. like that now.
May be worth looking into.

It really is the truth old appliances lasted much longer. I just had to replace air condition, completely rebuild furnace and replaced water heater. All of the are 10 years old, we are the first owners and I've been taken good care of them.

It really is the truth old appliances lasted much longer. I just had to replace air condition, completely rebuild furnace and replaced water heater. All of the are 10 years old, we are the first owners and I've been taken good care of them.
The energy efficiency craze may not have contributed to the durability of some appliances. A 10 year service life does not sound unusual for many hot water heaters and air conditioners.

Older appliances were made much better back then.. now they are getting cheaper and cheaper to make because of replacing little parts with cheapies... Same goes for cars... my corolla has been going since 95 and is at 315,000 KM, sure its a rough ride over 110 km/hr (need new tires), but she's still going strong :) Has only had the starter rebuilt and we replaced the rad because it would have gone a year later. We bought it new.

Oh Elaine, what a bummer. My heart goes out to you. Same things happen to me. Seems like everything starts going at the same time. I'm knock'in on wood here.
Chefmaloney

You will all love this one. My husband retired a number of years back and we had our "dream home" built. I was so happy, my dream kitchen. We upgraded all appliances. Five or six years later -- had to buy a new dishwasher, the stove was repaired twice, the washing machine twice. The fridge and microwave had broken and discolored handles. I think the ultimate insult was when GE called me just after we sold the place. I let him know on no uncertain terms (very politely as is my wont) what I thought of the thousands of dollars of appliances I'd purchased five or six years before. He said, "Well, gee, a lot of people have had their GE appliances for 30+ years and are happy with them." I replied, "Yes, that is why I bought these to begin with. But the company you represent obviously can't do as good a job as you did a half a century ago." Ouch.

Well guess who I am waiting for AGAIN today. If you guessed washing machine repairman you win! He has been here so many times lately that I am thinking of inviting him for Thanksgiving dinner. He's kind of like family now.

I guess by reading posts by others I am not alone!

I know what you mean Elaine. My washer and dryer are 23 years old and still running. We bought the top of the line Maytags that they said were the same machines that were used in laundromats. I refuse to replace them with new ones. I've had the dryer fixed once when some sort of rollers wore out. I will keep them until they completely die and can't be fixed. They just don't make them like they used to!

Back
Top Bottom