Appropriate HS graduation gift?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been giving $50 to close friends' and neighbors' kids. What do others give?

I have never heard of giving money (or gifts) to friends or neighbors children for graduating. Is this a trend among certain social circles?

Personally, I would not hand out money or gifts to others people's children for graduating, unless they were blood relatives.

After my eigth grade graduation, my best friend's parents took us (my best friend & I) out to a Broadway show, followed by dessert at Lindy's in NYC.

Other than that, don't see the purpose.

Last edited:
The theatre and / or Dinner can get pricey too ... Probably more than the original intended gift ... However, Cerise has a good point ... The rememberance side of things. Afterall, one must decide on who is a real friend, and who is just a friendly neighbor ... this can get out of hand ...

Margi.

Cerise said:
I have never heard of giving money (or gifts) to friends or neighbors children for graduating. Is this a trend among certain social circles?

Personally, I would not hand out money or gifts to others people's children for graduating, unless they were blood relatives.

After my eigth grade graduation, my best friend's parents took us (my best friend & I) out to a Broadway show, followed by dessert at Lindy's in NYC.

Other than that, don't see the purpose.

It's pretty common around here, and was when I graduated as well, many long years ago. Parents have open houses or parties, and some are pretty elaborate. Card boxes are set out, and gifts are given.

The son of a good friend puts up tents as a side business, graduation time is a really busy season for him.

It's pretty common around here, and was when I graduated as well, many long years ago. Parents have open houses or parties, and some are pretty elaborate. Card boxes are set out, and gifts are given.

The son of a good friend puts up tents as a side business, graduation time is a really busy season for him.

A party sounds like a good idea. I would not hand out $ or gift certificates (to neighbors and friends). Save it for your own kids and grandkids.

Back
Top Bottom