"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

$50 sounds right for friends kids, I mean kids you are not related to. Last graduating grandson got $200, I have several years for the next grandson...I bet it will be more.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Many graduates are saving up for a particular item, like a car or cash for college. I like the idea of a cash gift as it can be added to the rest of the stash for the purchase. Ask their parents if they are saving for something in particular, then you can make the decision to add to the goal or a gift certificate at a certain place.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Master Chef

That's the amount I usually give to good friends. If it's someone I only have contact with through Christmas cards I bump it down to $25. For more than $50 we have to be really close to the graduate.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree cash is probably the most appropriate gift for a friend's or neighbor's graduating child. I'm not sure $50 is or isn't the best amount. It's more than I would give. You give according to your means from the heart.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I think that's generous, Dawg.

It's been a very long time for me since children of friends graduated HS and now my beautiful grand daughter will be one of them this year. I've been thinking about giving her a piece of my gold diamond jewelry, but sadly it seems that yellow gold is out of fashion for young people these days, so I don't know what to do about that.
I hate to hone in on your question Dawg, but what would all of you give an only grand daughter?
Mine each got $200.00 plus a piece of my gold and diamond jewelery rings with garnets. Each was thrilled and spent the money on silver for their saddles. The horses look wonderful all decked out in the silver.
kades
Old 05-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I've been giving $50 to close friends' and neighbors' kids. What do others give?
That's what we give to friends, close ones, grandkids get more. It's really what you can afford or want to give.
kades
Old 05-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks all! (nice try, Margi! )

This boy mows our lawn and waters my plants when we're away ( we pay him for that). I went ahead and gave him $50 and a card. I agree, will go back to $25 for more casual aquaintances, and I always give more to nieces and nephews.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
Master Chef

I am off the list for most such things but, in my area $50.00 is the new $20.00 and $100.00 is the new $50.00 etc...

I also think it must be given Soprano style in a quality envelope with no card, just a crisp bill tucked into the blank envelope and handed discretely to the recipient, it seems more impressive and saves the extra $5.00 for the card!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Because I don't have kids and have lots of jewelry I inherited, I tend to give a piece of jewelry to the girls, cash to the boys. I write a note about the piece of jewelry, who gave it to me, and how special it has been to me and hope the person treasures it as much as I did. For the pieces I've had appraised, I include the appraisal.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
Wine Guy

Our daughter, who graduated HS last year, said that of all the graduation gifts she received, it was the cash gifts that were appreciated the most. She put every last cent of it away for college, and that was the money she used to live on for her first year there. She's now started adding back to the pot for year two.

While cash doesn't have lasting or sentimental impact of more tangible gifts, it really does help for kids who are setting out on their own for the first time.