Appropriate HS graduation gift?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been giving $50 to close friends' and neighbors' kids. What do others give?

Dawgluver,

This is fine protocol and quite generous. Cash is always welcomed and this way, they could purchase what they enjoy or need.

Of course, a gift certificate, if you know the child well, and thus, the shop is specifically dedicated to their hobby or needs.

I believe this is an intelligent gift.

Kind regards. Margi.

Last edited:
I think that's generous, Dawg.

It's been a very long time for me since children of friends graduated HS and now my beautiful grand daughter will be one of them this year. I've been thinking about giving her a piece of my gold diamond jewelry, but sadly it seems that yellow gold is out of fashion for young people these days, so I don't know what to do about that.
I hate to hone in on your question Dawg, but what would all of you give an only grand daughter?

Congrats to you and your grandaughter, Kayelle! I would think she would treasure a piece of classic jewelry, I think that's a lovely gift. Gold and diamonds out of style? I think not!

I resort to cash, as it's universal. I used to give $25 for grads, DH set the bar higher as he insisted on giving $50 to one of his tennis kids this year. Then I read an article that stated that's pretty much the standard. I don't know. Eons ago, I received $5 to whatever when I graduated.

Last edited:
Margi Cintrano said:
Dawgluver,

This is fine protocol and quite generous. Cash is always welcomed and this way, they could purchase what they enjoy or need.

Of course, a gift certificate, if you know the child well, and thus, the shop is specifically dedicated to their hobby or needs.

I believe this is an intelligent gift.

Kind regards. Margi.

Thanks Margi! I figured cash is universally appreciated! Just wondered if I was being too generous. Luckily, this year, I don't have nearly as many graduates as I've had in the past.

Dawg, I think $50 it totally appropriate for the children of neighbors and friends. I usually bump it up to $75 or $100 for family members such as: nieces or nephews, god children and very close friends. I also think cash or gift certificates are appropriate for grad gifts ( would hate to see a $50-$100 gift languishing, unappreciated). Young people appreciate being able to choose what suits them.
That said, if you know the young person very well as in Kayelle's situation then a personal gift is appropriate. Kayelle, , I think a piece of your jewelry would be a lovely gift for your granddaughter. If you are worried about the yellow gold, is it possible for you to have something re-set in white gold? If not, heirloom jewelry is a special gift and I hope she would appreciate it for it's sentimental value :). I am saving some things for my granddaughters and haven't given the color of the gold a thought at all.

Congrats to you and you grandaughter, Kayelle! I would think she would treasure a piece of classic jewelry, I think that's a lovely gift. Gold and diamonds out of style? I think not!

I resort to cash, as it's universal. I used to give $25 for grads, DH set the bar higher as he insisted on giving $50 to one of his tennis kids this year. Then I read an article that stated that's pretty much the standard. I don't know. Eons ago, I received $5 to whatever when I graduated.

:LOL: "Eons ago" when I graduated in 1961 my parents gave me a Lane "Hope Chest". All of my friends got one too, and most people bought or made something to go inside it for a gift. I still have some hand embroidered flour sack tea towels that I put away all those years ago. It's certainly another era now.

Dawg;

Thanks for your note. A fifty dollar note, is a nicer looking gift than 4 twenties or 3 tens ... However, if you do not know the child well, then, I would go with a great gift certificate ... Gap, Express, Macy´s and go with 25 or 30. They could purchase what they wish.
Ciao.
Margi.

@ Somebody and Kayelle,

Yellow gold verses white gold is always in style. This is a diamond, thus, for dressy occasions ... Gold regardless of the color and a diamond are highly fashionable wear at all times.

Have nice evening. MC.

$50 sounds right for friends kids, I mean kids you are not related to. Last graduating grandson got $200, I have several years for the next grandson...I bet it will be more.

Many graduates are saving up for a particular item, like a car or cash for college. I like the idea of a cash gift as it can be added to the rest of the stash for the purchase. Ask their parents if they are saving for something in particular, then you can make the decision to add to the goal or a gift certificate at a certain place.

That's the amount I usually give to good friends. If it's someone I only have contact with through Christmas cards I bump it down to $25. For more than $50 we have to be really close to the graduate.

I agree cash is probably the most appropriate gift for a friend's or neighbor's graduating child. I'm not sure $50 is or isn't the best amount. It's more than I would give. You give according to your means from the heart.

I think that's generous, Dawg.

It's been a very long time for me since children of friends graduated HS and now my beautiful grand daughter will be one of them this year. I've been thinking about giving her a piece of my gold diamond jewelry, but sadly it seems that yellow gold is out of fashion for young people these days, so I don't know what to do about that.
I hate to hone in on your question Dawg, but what would all of you give an only grand daughter?
Mine each got $200.00 plus a piece of my gold and diamond jewelery rings with garnets. Each was thrilled and spent the money on silver for their saddles. The horses look wonderful all decked out in the silver.
kades

I've been giving $50 to close friends' and neighbors' kids. What do others give?
That's what we give to friends, close ones, grandkids get more. It's really what you can afford or want to give.
kades

Thanks all! (nice try, Margi! :LOL:)

This boy mows our lawn and waters my plants when we're away ( we pay him for that). I went ahead and gave him $50 and a card. I agree, will go back to $25 for more casual aquaintances, and I always give more to nieces and nephews.

I am off the list for most such things but, in my area $50.00 is the new $20.00 and $100.00 is the new $50.00 etc...

I also think it must be given Soprano style in a quality envelope with no card, just a crisp bill tucked into the blank envelope and handed discretely to the recipient, it seems more impressive and saves the extra $5.00 for the card!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Because I don't have kids and have lots of jewelry I inherited, I tend to give a piece of jewelry to the girls, cash to the boys. I write a note about the piece of jewelry, who gave it to me, and how special it has been to me and hope the person treasures it as much as I did. For the pieces I've had appraised, I include the appraisal.

Our daughter, who graduated HS last year, said that of all the graduation gifts she received, it was the cash gifts that were appreciated the most. She put every last cent of it away for college, and that was the money she used to live on for her first year there. She's now started adding back to the pot for year two.

While cash doesn't have lasting or sentimental impact of more tangible gifts, it really does help for kids who are setting out on their own for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom