Aquariums Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
It seems we have always had an aquarium. Freshwater only. The last time I swore I would never do it again. Gave away a 55 gallon tank with everything to go with it.

Well, my wife got tired of the chore with the recent 20 gallon set up we had. So I took over the duties and responsibilities. I volunteered.
I immersed myself into the biology of aquariums and it became fun again. I have had some ups and lately some big time downs.
I joined a aquarium forum, but have not been real pleased with it.

Just wondering if any of you others are into this hobby?

I never owned a fish longer than it took to get it into a skillet until 16 months ago when I started a little indoor aquaponic system. It wasn't the original idea but I ended up with two Fancy Goldfish, Sara and Maybelle, who, to my surprise, have become beloved pets. I recently wrote about them here so won't duplicate all that. But learning enough to keep them happy and healthy led to several aquarist and fishkeeping forums. I don't fit in too well there though because I'm not a collector of fish. If the two I've got now live a full life I'll likely be too old to get another. And my interest in the fish tank aquarium is primarily as one piece of the larger aquaponic ecosystem.

I am a member at Fishlore forum. Working through some issues as we speak here.
I figured since we had lots of old farts around here like me, some would be into aquariums.
You never have to leave the house and can buy everything you need to start and maintain a nice aquarium on the internet.
I am a Prime Amazon customer and rarely if ever have to go to a store except for food.

In fact I spend more money today than I ever could by getting into my truck.

Well I tried. This is a cooking forum after all.

We had a "fish tank" when I was a kid. My dad did all the work. My sister and I looked at the guppies. We had many "funerals" followed by a flush. They don't live forever. We never had any fancy, expensive fish.

I wouldn't mind having an aquarium, but I travel way too much. Maybe some day.

CD

I had a small (20 gal, I think) aquarium back in the day and loved the soft glow and gurgling bubbles in the quiet evenings. Over time, I didn't love scooping dead fish out and cleaning the tank. I won't have another one.

I hope you find a nice aquarium forum that you enjoy, RB. :)

My ex was into keeping fish. For a while, he had a small biz that installed aquaria in bars and restos. He even built his own tanks. We had a nice tank with a couple of oscars. We had a smaller tank with some fancy guppies. I enjoyed looking at the tanks, but I wasn't interested in the work part. His hobby. So, no aquaria anymore.

Try saltwater. The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain and the fish and corals are so much prettier.

Back
Top Bottom