"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #31
Executive Chef

As bad as some think this kid may be, and yes he has bad behavioral problems from time to time, the fact still remains that he's a human being and that he deserves a chance to be helped medically, physically and mentally.

If he can be steered in the right direction, and I think he can, then that is one less kid who will become a menace to society. But it has to begin asap, or otherwise, he'll become a hardened problem child and a hardened career criminal, set in his ways and hard to change.

He'll be recruited by Boston's mean streets and become a victim of the system failing him. Guns, knives and violence will be his way of life. I do NOT want this to happen to him. He needs to be helped before it's too late!

Too many kids that I knew when they were little sweet adorable angels, have turned into raging monsters and hardened career criminals doing time or just turned into drunks and drug abusers!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
The school HAD NOT gone into a security lockdown, but it very well could have.

I caught that.

Quote:
Authorities are not taking stuff like this lightly any more - especially since the 09-11 terror attacks.

Funny, I thought it was Columbine in '99.

Quote:
or if a woman's neon-type artwork on her sweatshirt at the airport last summer
Not neon artwork, it was this:

Makes me wonder what kind of Brainiacs their letting into MIT these days.

Quote:
then just imagine what they would do with THIS kid.
Back to this kid, ...

He has a hearing problem, he talks loud, this probably makes him someone to avoid especially in a library setting. The other kid was probably avoiding him which, I'm guessing, created feelings of rejection in THIS kid. So THIS kid took last ditch efforts to have someone pay attention to him.

Sad , really. Rejection is difficult to take at any age.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
I caught that.

Funny, I thought it was Columbine in '99.

Not neon artwork, it was this:

Makes me wonder what kind of Brainiacs their letting into MIT these days.

Back to this kid, ...

He has a hearing problem, he talks loud, this probably makes him someone to avoid especially in a library setting. The other kid was probably avoiding him which, I'm guessing, created feelings of rejection in THIS kid. So THIS kid took last ditch efforts to have someone pay attention to him.

Sad , really. Rejection is difficult to take at any age.

1. Good.

2. You're right.

3. You're right again.

4. And you're right again.

Sounds like the classmate might be this boy's best buddy in school. And yes, the boy certainly DID get mad at his classmate in the end for not wanting to read with him. And yes, the kid felt rejected. So in retaliation, he vented his anger and got even louder.

He normally IS less roudy and rambuncious. I'll see how he does this week. Hopefully, he'll be much kinder and nicer than he was the other day.

Two other kids in first grade are the same way. They don't fight or anything, but if one comes down for a reading session, then chances are so will the other kid and vise versa.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Hello, my name is Allen, and I suffer from hearing loss, of two different kinds.

Type #1: I don't know what to call it. I can hear most things perfectly well. I was in band for 7 years, so pitches, volumes, melodies, etc., are all readily recognized by my hearing. I can usually pick out who provides the voice for cartoon characters before I see the credits.

Let someone turn on the shake machine at work, or get me under the exhaust hood, and I'll hear you talking, but it's all goobledy-gook, and I WILL NOT be able to understand what you're saying. It's like my brain focuses my hearing on the loud obnoxious sound, and looses resolution on the sound that I really need to hear.

Type #2: I suffer from selective hearing loss. Basically, if I don't want to hear something, I just "don't" hear something. This hearing loss is only employeed when my other half is nagging me, or the kids won't be quiet.

In all seriousness, I do indeed suffer from Type #1. Type #2 is just a joke.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

I have the same type #1 problem Allen if I am understanding you correctly. When in a bar or loud restaurant I can not hear anyone when they talk to me. Everyone around me can carry on a conversation just fine it seems, but all I hear is the cacophony of mixed noise all around me. This happens any time I am in a large indoor crowd. It is very frustrating.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Count me in on this type also...Many years ago I had a routine hearing exam. The doctor told me as I grew older I would experience this type of loss...It's not that I don't (or can't) hear the sound...I just can't weed it out of all of the extraneous sounds...Example..If I am watching TV, and people in the room start talking in a normal voice.... the people on TV may as well be speaking Martian...It seems it always happens just about time the main point is being made!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #37
Executive Chef

I also get that annoying "ringing-in-ear" sound. When I was a kid, I used to get excrutiating and painful earaches that sometimes just wouldn't stop! To the point where it often made me cry.

I ended up having to go to the hospital and the doc said that it was just a childhood illness that is usually outgrown. They DID go away though.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Don't have any hearing impairment that I'm aware of, but I can "turn off my ears."

For as long as I can remember, I can completely tune out radio/television ads. My mind just shuts down until the song/program resumes. Makes Buck crazy because he isn't able to do it. Radio and television advertising is wasted on me.

There is a difference, in my opinion, between "hearing" and "listening," which points to selective hearing. All you husbands know what that is.

As for the current trend in the music our youth listen to, it's amazing. When Buck and I are sitting on our front porch in the evenings, we're treated (?) to the music coming from the cars going up and down the street. We're probably about 60 or 70 feet from the roadway and the sound blasting from some of the vehicles, with windows closed, is mind boggling.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
I went from heavy metal concerts every weekend as a teen, to blowing things up and shooting at people for Uncle Sams Misguided Children to being a commercial press operator for close to 10 years. Lets just say that I'm really really glad we type in here and don't have audio files...my neighbors would probably tire quickly of hearing about cooking 24 - 7
Old 05-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Ever go to one of those night clubs where the young crowd likes to go to and there's a seemingly multi-million-watt stereo system there that looks as tall as a two-story building that's just blaring and pumping out heavy-banging hard head metal music?

Where the music is so blasted loud that you can't even hear yourself think? Or how about the times when you see someone in their vehicle where the music is so loud that the ((((((((BOOM)))))))) bass coming from the subwoofer sounds just like an explosion, a 777 roaring down the runway for takeoff, or an earthquake? And the whole car is vibrating so badly!!

How can their ears stand to listen to music that loud?! You'd think that it would hurt their ears and give them brain freeze! They are supposed to be able to hear what's going on around them trafficwise.

They're going to end up being deaf before they are 40 years old!! Try holding a conversation with someone in that type of environment. You'll be yelling at the top of your lungs!!