Are any of you hard of hearing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry Wart, tinnitis is a real problem. All I can do is wish you well.

As far as the child goes, it sounds like he has real problems - and they may be ignored by others at the school because his mom is a teacher. His behavior cannot be explained by just a problem with hearing.

We, as a country, have lost too many children to bullets because the signs of violence and abberancy have been ignored by persons, including teachers, who were afraid to deal with the issue.

Being a teacher means more than just administering a lesson plan. Sorry Corey, I think you have to go to the administration about this.

Any kid who says anythng about a gun in that scenario is disturbed.

We do not need any more children dead.

What I see in all this is one simple fact. If he was a hearing child he would be just another naughty brat who needs discipline badly but just becauase he has a hearing pro blem he is a 'poor baby'. It does not do this child any good at all for people to treat him differently or accept bad behaviour just because he has a hearing problem. I have a cousin with hearing loss, she's 11 years old and I have never heard her yelling because she thinks everyone else is deaf too.

But doesn't she have to notice the signs and try to address the problems along with him?
Of course she does, but that does not negate the boy holding some responsibility for his own actions as well.
I agree that the boy should not have said that he has a gun, though we know that he din't have one.
And just how did you know this? You had absolutely no way of knowing that. Kids younger that him have brought guns to school plenty of times before. It is not something that should be taken lightly.

If he was at the airport and said that, expecially out loud, yes, they would have made an example out of him and probably would have immediately banned him from a plane and from the premises.
Do not fool yourself Corey. If this had happened in an airport he would have most likely been arrested and convicted. Getting banned from the plane would have been the least of his worries.

Because before now she didn't need to keep her brat from being expelled because the kid threatened another's life, and for putting the school in lockdown.

No reason for her to tell you this now, except to skate out of it.

Hard of Hearing? Eh??

I have tinnitus, a 24/365 whine of mini jet engines in each ear. Sometimes there is also a hum and occasionally a bell or two. Sometimes it's so bad as it takes on a physical presence.

Enough to distract, enough to make me a bit irritable, even makes me a bit Loony at times.

The school HAD NOT gone into a security lockdown, but it very well could have. Authorities are not taking stuff like this lightly any more - especially since the 09-11 terror attacks.

If an airline ruthlessly kicks a two-year-old boy off a plane for looking out the window of the plane he's on and waving and says "bye-bye to another plane, or if a woman's neon-type artwork on her sweatshirt at the airport last summer sparks widespread panic and causing her to almost be shot, then just imagine what they would do with THIS kid.

Maybe some counciling is in order for the both of them so that they'll both understand each other. I wouldn't want either of them to suffer.

Last edited:
Of course she does, but that does not negate the boy holding some responsibility for his own actions as well. And just how did you know this? You had absolutely no way of knowing that. Kids younger that him have brought guns to school plenty of times before. It is not something that should be taken lightly.

Do not fool yourself Corey. If this had happened in an airport he would have most likely been arrested and convicted. Getting banned from the plane would have been the least of his worries.

1. That's true.

2. There's a security guard there every day while school is in session. He more than likely was checked out by the guard, was found to be unarmed and told that he's not allowed to say things like that.

He would have been banned immediately if he had one in his posession. And then the schoool probably would have gone into lockdown.

3. Yes, you're right, I forgot to mention that his arrest would immediately follow. But I think that eventually, he would have been released back to the custody of his parents, since in this case, he's too young to go to prison or juivie. Well, maybe juivie, and he probably would be getting some serious counciling as a condition of him being let go.

But he still might have been convicted and ordered to do some community work as punishment for what he did.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder what tv shows or movies he is watching if any, even some cartoons are violent.

More than likely, all the wrong shows.

From what it looks like, this kid probably has the run of the house, doing whatever he pleases whenever he pleases.

I sincerely hope that if him and his family are planning to fly somewhere this summer during school vacation, that they sit down with him, have a heart-to-heart talk on the do's & don't rules of air traveling and behavior at the airport. Otherwise, this kid will be left at the gate and the plane will go on without him on board.

Since being there, I just about know which kids like to come to school to argue and fight, and which ones are obedient and respectful. But it's not my job to chastise them. Only if or when they get out of line with me, then I'll talk to them and let them know that they can't do bad things.

Last edited:
My mother had serious hearing problems due to having multiple ear infections as a child. This is not uncommon, and often hearing problems are overlooked in children, and serious other problems result.

Shouting that he has a gun is very possible periferally related to his hearing problems, and the possibility that he is/has been discriminated against by his peers and even teachers because of it.

Hearing disabled children deserve and need special attention to their needs, just as visually impaired children do... and all special needs.

I thought about that myself.

I still feel bad for the boy in light of the things he's going through. I just can't help it. Kids give me a soft spot, and it's just not in me to be mean to them!:angel:

I hope he gets help. He just might turn out to be one of the most respectful ones there.

Last edited:
I had an acquaintance who was in the field of education for the hearing impaired and deaf ... she told me that quite often she saw handicapped children of all sorts who suffered from parents who felt "too" sorry for them -- they simply couldn't bring themselves to discipline or even say "no" to their poor child who had so many problems in life already. Behavior problems, obesity, and many other problems resulted.

I have been around military people all my life and worked on the flight line for awhile. Many guys who would have been fitted for special, for-their-own-ears plugs would still not wear them out of misplaced macho. Most guys who worked on the flight line or with artillery, etc, have some degree, small or large, or hearing loss as a result sooner or later.

Let's not forget the epidemic the music industry has spawned. You can't tell some people that if I can tell what music you are playing from across the room, your personal sound system isn't personal any more, it is dangerous to your ears. AND your next door neighbors should not be able to tell what you are playing, period.

I think we've all had a relative or friend who simply loves being hard of hearing, no matter what they say. They have carte blanche to ignore those they want to, or even be more agressive in claiming a person they dislike is doing it to them on purpose!

My husband have found ourselves in the past cutting short visits to those we like to spend time with because of a stereo blasting in each of the bedrooms plus a TV on full volume for gramps. No conversation possible.

As bad as some think this kid may be, and yes he has bad behavioral problems from time to time, the fact still remains that he's a human being and that he deserves a chance to be helped medically, physically and mentally.

If he can be steered in the right direction, and I think he can, then that is one less kid who will become a menace to society. But it has to begin asap, or otherwise, he'll become a hardened problem child and a hardened career criminal, set in his ways and hard to change.

He'll be recruited by Boston's mean streets and become a victim of the system failing him. Guns, knives and violence will be his way of life. I do NOT want this to happen to him. He needs to be helped before it's too late!

Too many kids that I knew when they were little sweet adorable angels, have turned into raging monsters and hardened career criminals doing time or just turned into drunks and drug abusers!

Last edited:
The school HAD NOT gone into a security lockdown, but it very well could have.

I caught that.

Authorities are not taking stuff like this lightly any more - especially since the 09-11 terror attacks.

Funny, I thought it was Columbine in '99.

or if a woman's neon-type artwork on her sweatshirt at the airport last summer

Not neon artwork, it was this:

Makes me wonder what kind of Brainiacs their letting into MIT these days.

then just imagine what they would do with THIS kid.

Back to this kid, ...

He has a hearing problem, he talks loud, this probably makes him someone to avoid especially in a library setting. The other kid was probably avoiding him which, I'm guessing, created feelings of rejection in THIS kid. So THIS kid took last ditch efforts to have someone pay attention to him.

Sad , really. Rejection is difficult to take at any age.

I caught that.

Funny, I thought it was Columbine in '99.

Not neon artwork, it was this:

Makes me wonder what kind of Brainiacs their letting into MIT these days.

Back to this kid, ...

He has a hearing problem, he talks loud, this probably makes him someone to avoid especially in a library setting. The other kid was probably avoiding him which, I'm guessing, created feelings of rejection in THIS kid. So THIS kid took last ditch efforts to have someone pay attention to him.

Sad , really. Rejection is difficult to take at any age.

1. Good.

2. You're right.

3. You're right again.

4. And you're right again.

Sounds like the classmate might be this boy's best buddy in school. And yes, the boy certainly DID get mad at his classmate in the end for not wanting to read with him. And yes, the kid felt rejected. So in retaliation, he vented his anger and got even louder.

He normally IS less roudy and rambuncious. I'll see how he does this week. Hopefully, he'll be much kinder and nicer than he was the other day.

Two other kids in first grade are the same way. They don't fight or anything, but if one comes down for a reading session, then chances are so will the other kid and vise versa.

Last edited:
Hello, my name is Allen, and I suffer from hearing loss, of two different kinds.

Type #1: I don't know what to call it. I can hear most things perfectly well. I was in band for 7 years, so pitches, volumes, melodies, etc., are all readily recognized by my hearing. I can usually pick out who provides the voice for cartoon characters before I see the credits.

Let someone turn on the shake machine at work, or get me under the exhaust hood, and I'll hear you talking, but it's all goobledy-gook, and I WILL NOT be able to understand what you're saying. It's like my brain focuses my hearing on the loud obnoxious sound, and looses resolution on the sound that I really need to hear.

Type #2: I suffer from selective hearing loss. Basically, if I don't want to hear something, I just "don't" hear something. This hearing loss is only employeed when my other half is nagging me, or the kids won't be quiet.

In all seriousness, I do indeed suffer from Type #1. Type #2 is just a joke.

I have the same type #1 problem Allen if I am understanding you correctly. When in a bar or loud restaurant I can not hear anyone when they talk to me. Everyone around me can carry on a conversation just fine it seems, but all I hear is the cacophony of mixed noise all around me. This happens any time I am in a large indoor crowd. It is very frustrating.

Count me in on this type also...Many years ago I had a routine hearing exam. The doctor told me as I grew older I would experience this type of loss...It's not that I don't (or can't) hear the sound...I just can't weed it out of all of the extraneous sounds...Example..If I am watching TV, and people in the room start talking in a normal voice.... the people on TV may as well be speaking Martian...It seems it always happens just about time the main point is being made!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! :LOL:

I also get that annoying "ringing-in-ear" sound. When I was a kid, I used to get excrutiating and painful earaches that sometimes just wouldn't stop! To the point where it often made me cry.

I ended up having to go to the hospital and the doc said that it was just a childhood illness that is usually outgrown. They DID go away though.

Don't have any hearing impairment that I'm aware of, but I can "turn off my ears."

For as long as I can remember, I can completely tune out radio/television ads. My mind just shuts down until the song/program resumes. Makes Buck crazy because he isn't able to do it. Radio and television advertising is wasted on me.

There is a difference, in my opinion, between "hearing" and "listening," which points to selective hearing. All you husbands know what that is.:ROFLMAO:

As for the current trend in the music our youth listen to, it's amazing. When Buck and I are sitting on our front porch in the evenings, we're treated (?) to the music coming from the cars going up and down the street. We're probably about 60 or 70 feet from the roadway and the sound blasting from some of the vehicles, with windows closed, is mind boggling.:wacko::wacko:

I went from heavy metal concerts every weekend as a teen, to blowing things up and shooting at people for Uncle Sams Misguided Children to being a commercial press operator for close to 10 years. Lets just say that I'm really really glad we type in here and don't have audio files...my neighbors would probably tire quickly of hearing about cooking 24 - 7 :LOL:

Ever go to one of those night clubs where the young crowd likes to go to and there's a seemingly multi-million-watt stereo system there that looks as tall as a two-story building that's just blaring and pumping out heavy-banging hard head metal music?:ermm:

Where the music is so blasted loud that you can't even hear yourself think? Or how about the times when you see someone in their vehicle where the music is so loud that the ((((((((BOOM)))))))) bass coming from the subwoofer sounds just like an explosion, a 777 roaring down the runway for takeoff, or an earthquake? And the whole car is vibrating so badly!!:ohmy:

How can their ears stand to listen to music that loud?! You'd think that it would hurt their ears and give them brain freeze! They are supposed to be able to hear what's going on around them trafficwise.

They're going to end up being deaf before they are 40 years old!! Try holding a conversation with someone in that type of environment. You'll be yelling at the top of your lungs!!:ohmy:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom