"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I am not a member of a CSA...however, I do have 6 families that come and get eggs, veggies...so I guess I'm a CSA provider...
Selling eggs/produce is not a CSA- in a CSA membership people pay for a share at the beginning of the season, and get a percentage of the produce. It can be a really good deal, or you can get screwed if it's a bad year.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Not a member, never been a member ~~ not sure one exist around me..Based on what I've read here and there it's mostly a license to steal $7 - $9 a dozen eggs. They kill one hog and 8 people get a Boston Butt....really??? ~ Milk a cow, and everybody gets a pint of milk a week....A pint a week??? What the H. E. double El ya do wit dat??? Huh??? ~~~ I get $3 a dozen for eggs...those I don't give away. It pays my feed bill every month. ~~~ I'm sure there's OK programs out there...but mostly what I read about.....Buyer Beware!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
That's ridiculous. All of them are different of course, but the average price I was told was that it was $300 for the year and you generally get about 300 lb of produce.

I buy farm fresh eggs from a local lady with chickens for $1/dozen. I certainly wouldn't be part of THAT csa.
Too many artsy fartsy snobs, who appear to have money to burn, have invaded my area. Our CSA has legal status as a not for profit educational organization and is staffed mainly by volunteers. The banjo playing management of this operation consider it to be a noble experiment worthy of charging what the market will bear. It's certainly noble in the sense that the property it occupies traces its origins to a 17th century king's grant.
We're willing to pay $4 to $5 per dozen for really tasty eggs, but $7 is obscene.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Not a member, never been a member ~~ not sure one exist around me..Based on what I've read here and there it's mostly a license to steal $7 - $9 a dozen eggs. They kill one hog and 8 people get a Boston Butt....really??? ~ Milk a cow, and everybody gets a pint of milk a week....A pint a week??? What the H. E. double El ya do wit dat??? Huh??? ~~~ I get $3 a dozen for eggs...those I don't give away. It pays my feed bill every month. ~~~ I'm sure there's OK programs out there...but mostly what I read about.....Buyer Beware!!
++1
Old 07-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Our CSA charges $70 for 120 chicken eggs ( 6 eggs per week for 20 weeks).
That's obscene. The CSA we used to belong to charged $3 a dozen, which I thought was a very good price for the quality.

We did the CSA thing for a year. I thought the value was good overall, but what I didn't like was the "mystery basket" aspect of it, or the fact that it was generally more food than we could eat. These days I get my veggies from the farmers market. I get to pick what I want as opposed having someone else pick it for me.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll
That's obscene. The CSA we used to belong to charged $3 a dozen, which I thought was a very good price for the quality.

We did the CSA thing for a year. I thought the value was good overall, but what I didn't like was the "mystery basket" aspect of it, or the fact that it was generally more food than we could eat. These days I get my veggies from the farmers market. I get to pick what I want as opposed having someone else pick it for me.
My brother lives in your neck of the woods, Steve, and they also cancelled their membership. There are some great farmers markets around there.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
The banjo playing management

Speaking as a banjo player, why is it that banjo pickers get no respect?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #18
Executive Chef

My Fr is a CSA member. She splits a membership with her sister. And she gives a lot to her brother too. It seems like there is a lot to use up each week in smaller households. I have been on the receiving end too, so it doesn't seem to go to waste around here. As a comparison, I like that you can just buy smaller amounts at local food coops and farmer's markets. I recognize not everyone has such places to shop like we seem to have here. I have so much stuff in the house right now, I don't think I could handle a weekly CSA order. The produce my fr receives is quite varied, all fresh and freshly harvested.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot

Speaking as a banjo player, why is it that banjo pickers get no respect?
Not true, Hoot! We love banjo!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Thanks...I reckon I just needed to stand up for us.....