"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I've considered a local beef csa, their beef averages $7 per pound for local, grass fed beef. Difference is you know what you will get from month to month, and is less volitile than veggies, and it can be easily frozen.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay folks. You don't raise hens and you don't plant the garden. So you don't like what comes out of the garden when it is ready. No offense, folks, but go ahead and start the seeds, baby the plants in the greenhouse, hope that the ground is workable when you want to put the plants/seeds in, crap--you have to reseed because the weather didn't cooperate...any maybe you'd like to invest in a high tunnel...don't like what you're getting from your CSA? Plant your own garden and raise your own hens/beef/pigs/lamb. See how much fun that is and how much $ goes down that toilet. After that experience, a CSA might be worth the $. Just saying. It was 33C with the humidity 41C today. I was picking beans...25 lb. What were you doing today--waiting for s/one to deliver your CSA box? Bottom line, you don't like what is in your CSA box--plant your own garden/raise your own livestock and hope for the best.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Every product has a narrow range of reasonable prices. Store-bought eggs are less than $2 a dozen. Using that as a baseline, there is a range of reasonable prices for a dozen eggs. I consider $7 a dozen way outside that range.

A CSA or any other business can't justify charging ridiculous prices just because it costs them a lot of money to harvest eggs. Even if their eggs are FRESH and yummy, there's a limit on how much they're worth.

We shop at stores for fresh veggies because of the convenience and the price stability. The idea of paying much higher prices when you don't know how much you are getting or what it will be is not something most people want to deal with. I know I don't.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Okay folks. You don't raise hens and you don't plant the garden. So you don't like what comes out of the garden when it is ready. No offense, folks, but go ahead and start the seeds, baby the plants in the greenhouse, hope that the ground is workable when you want to put the plants/seeds in, crap--you have to reseed because the weather didn't cooperate...any maybe you'd like to invest in a high tunnel...don't like what you're getting from your CSA? Plant your own garden and raise your own hens/beef/pigs/lamb. See how much fun that is and how much $ goes down that toilet. After that experience, a CSA might be worth the $. Just saying. It was 33C with the humidity 41C today. I was picking beans...25 lb. What were you doing today--waiting for s/one to deliver your CSA box? Bottom line, you don't like what is in your CSA box--plant your own garden/raise your own livestock and hope for the best.
A CSA is a great deal for a farmer, because even if it is a bad year they still get paid. That's a risk the consumer is taking, instead of the farmer. They are paid before the season starts. I agree they should be paid for their time, however, having someone pay you upfront, and come pick up the produce so you don't have to stand in a road side stand (or pay someone to do it), and the fact that they don't have to worry they will be stuck with a bunch of turnips that didn't sell should make it good incentive to make it a good deal for the CSA members. I still think it should be in that "reasonable price range" that was just mentioned, but I certainly don't think it should be MORE expensive. That's just backwards.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Every product has a narrow range of reasonable prices. Store-bought eggs are less than $2 a dozen. Using that as a baseline, there is a range of reasonable prices for a dozen eggs. I consider $7 a dozen way outside that range.

A CSA or any other business can't justify charging ridiculous prices just because it costs them a lot of money to harvest eggs. Even if their eggs are FRESH and yummy, there's a limit on how much they're worth.

We shop at stores for fresh veggies because of the convenience and the price stability. The idea of paying much higher prices when you don't know how much you are getting or what it will be is not something most people want to deal with. I know I don't.
I don't charge "ridiculous" prices for my eggs. It costs me $1.25 in feed for 1 doz eggs. I have to clean the coop every day, feed the hens in the morning, let them out, and lock them up in at 8 p.m. I'd like to think my time and labor are worth more than $2 an hour. I'm sure you bill more than that Andy.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I don't charge "ridiculous" prices for my eggs. It costs me $1.25 in feed for 1 doz eggs. I have to clean the coop every day, feed the hens in the morning, let them out, and lock them up in at 8 p.m. I'd like to think my time and labor are worth more than $2 an hour. I'm sure you bill more than that Andy.
You don't charge $7 a dozen... He was talking about a CSA that worked out to $7 for a dozen eggs. I'm sure what you charge is perfectly reasonable.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
A CSA is a great deal for a farmer, because even if it is a bad year they still get paid. That's a risk the consumer is taking, instead of the farmer. They are paid before the season starts. I agree they should be paid for their time, however, having someone pay you upfront, and come pick up the produce so you don't have to stand in a road side stand (or pay someone to do it), and the fact that they don't have to worry they will be stuck with a bunch of turnips that didn't sell should make it good incentive to make it a good deal for the CSA members. I still think it should be in that "reasonable price range" that was just mentioned, but I certainly don't think it should be MORE expensive. That's just backwards.
BS--if the CSA farmer doesn't have the crops promised, the CSA farmer has to find them--my friend who does this was short on eggs last week--she had to buy eggs from s/one else to satisfy her CSA egg contract. Come on out to my gardens and see how much fun it is and how much $ we actually make at the end of the day. We can't even qualify re: taxes and what the ON government requires for us to take the farm deductions at the farm. You've got the wrong idea about how small farms operate. And, those are a lot of the CSA folks.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Calm down. I never said you charged ridiculous prices. I was referring to the CSA that charged $7 a dozen.

I understand farming/raising chickens is hard work and not free. My point was that consumers expect reasonable prices not a carte blanche to charge whatever the traffic will bear.

None of what I said was directed at what you do. I was responding to your post where you were defending farmers...

"Okay folks. You don't raise hens and you don't plant the garden. So you don't like what comes out of the garden when it is ready. No offense, folks, but go ahead and start the seeds, baby the plants in the greenhouse, hope that the ground is workable when you want to put the plants/seeds in, crap--you have to reseed because the weather didn't cooperate...any maybe you'd like to invest in a high tunnel...don't like what you're getting from your CSA? Plant your own garden and raise your own hens/beef/pigs/lamb. See how much fun that is and how much $ goes down that toilet. After that experience, a CSA might be worth the $. Just saying. It was 33C with the humidity 41C today. I was picking beans...25 lb. What were you doing today--waiting for s/one to deliver your CSA box? Bottom line, you don't like what is in your CSA box--plant your own garden/raise your own livestock and hope for the best."
Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Calm down. I never said you charged ridiculous prices. I was referring to the CSA that charged $7 a dozen.

I understand farming/raising chickens is hard work and not free. My point was that consumers expect reasonable prices not a carte blanche to charge whatever the traffic will bear.

None of what I said was directed at what you do. I was responding to your post where you were defending farmers...

"Okay folks. You don't raise hens and you don't plant the garden. So you don't like what comes out of the garden when it is ready. No offense, folks, but go ahead and start the seeds, baby the plants in the greenhouse, hope that the ground is workable when you want to put the plants/seeds in, crap--you have to reseed because the weather didn't cooperate...any maybe you'd like to invest in a high tunnel...don't like what you're getting from your CSA? Plant your own garden and raise your own hens/beef/pigs/lamb. See how much fun that is and how much $ goes down that toilet. After that experience, a CSA might be worth the $. Just saying. It was 33C with the humidity 41C today. I was picking beans...25 lb. What were you doing today--waiting for s/one to deliver your CSA box? Bottom line, you don't like what is in your CSA box--plant your own garden/raise your own livestock and hope for the best."
I will defend farmers--we farm--but our farm is for our own consumption...so you gotta maintain the tractors, plow the fields, etc., etc., etc. Farmers feed us. It is hard work and it is highly under valued. Nice that you can have a job that pays you a regular pay check every 2 weeks. Some of us don't have that security. Wish I did. If you need an editor or writer, I'd be interested.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay--$7/doz is high. The organic feed I can buy is 3x what I can get at the feed store. My hens hunt and peck on the yard. I haven't put anything on the lawn since........1991. So, I'm pretty sure what the hens are eating is more or less organic. I think the eggs I collect are worth....$10 a dozen. No, $15, no, priceless. (But I do supplement what they eat on the yard with feed from the feed store--and, I don't buy organic feed for them). I barter the eggs--I cannot sell them (legally) so I barter them for curry powder, dog sitting when I go to MN, ground lamb....