"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I will defend farmers--we farm--but our farm is for our own consumption...so you gotta maintain the tractors, plow the fields, etc., etc., etc. Farmers feed us. It is hard work and it is highly under valued. Nice that you can have a job that pays you a regular pay check every 2 weeks. Some of us don't have that security. Wish I did. If you need an editor or writer, I'd be interested.
We all make decisions that effect our life and income. To each his own. I'm retired and living on a fixed income.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I had a look at the typical basket and it really didn't appeal to me. So I never signed up.

I have no objection to the idea that I get a percentage of what the farmers produce. I understand that in a bad year, it will be less, but I expect it to be more in a good year.

I would expect that if the chickens didn't lay enough eggs one week, that I would get less eggs that week. I wouldn't expect the farmer to buy eggs to "fulfill the contract". I don't think that was the idea with CSAs.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #33
Master Chef

I checked it out too, but never signed up. With it being just me here most of the time, even the small box would be more than I could eat. They also charge $7/dozen for their eggs, that is way more than I'll spend.

There are locals here that sell fresh eggs for $4/dozen, and I buy from them. I also buy from the farmer's market, it's only 3 miles up the road and fresh from Central CA. I can choose what and how much I want, so that works well for me.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
BS--if the CSA farmer doesn't have the crops promised, the CSA farmer has to find them--my friend who does this was short on eggs last week--she had to buy eggs from s/one else to satisfy her CSA egg contract. Come on out to my gardens and see how much fun it is and how much $ we actually make at the end of the day. We can't even qualify re: taxes and what the ON government requires for us to take the farm deductions at the farm. You've got the wrong idea about how small farms operate. And, those are a lot of the CSA folks.
It's not BS, that is how it's supposed to work... You don't know how much the yield is going to be until the harvest. They originally started out with people who pooled money, bought the land, and hired a farmer and each took a percentage. Very few of those exist now- it developed into the CSA we know now, but it's supposed to be the same principle. You are supposed to benefit from the lower cost, and fresher produce, but take a risk of suffering though the bad years with the farmers. No CSA I know of has a specific amount they agree to fulfill, and if they do, it defeats the purpose, in my opinion.

Oh another side note, the CSA's I know, have a specific pickup day, and if you miss it, you just miss out that week. Another benefit to the farmer.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

These same farmers have booths at the local farmer's markets. In town "A" on Thursdays, town "B" on Friday, etc. Several have told me they make more from these FMs than selling through conventional means. I visited our local FM last week and saw prices I thought were out of line so I haven't been back since.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #36
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I visited our local FM last week and saw prices I thought were out of line so I haven't been back since.
I guess things must be different in other parts of the country. I love farmers markets. Seriously, I can walk into almost any FM around here and come away with as many vegetables as I can carry for about 12 bucks. With the exception of fruit, which is expensive, I find the prices overall to be about half of what they are in the grocery stores.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll
I guess things must be different in other parts of the country. I love farmers markets. Seriously, I can walk into almost any FM around here and come away with as many vegetables as I can carry for about 12 bucks. With the exception of fruit, which is expensive, I find the prices overall to be about half of what they are in the grocery stores.
The ones I've been to the prices have been just slightly more. Worth it for the higher quality.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Sadly, not the case here. One tomato - $2.50.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Veggies at the big FM here are cheaper than the grocery stores. Fruit can be a little more, but is usually much fresher and local, the grocery store's peaches couldn't compare to the local ones.

Farmer's markets have become trendy, so the prices have jumped as a result. Go to a farmer's market in a trendy or upscale part of town and prepare to pay. The big farmer's market that I go to is poo pooed by many because there are vendors that aren't selling "local" products, so it isn't the "trendy" market and can't command the highest prices.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Veggies at the big FM here are cheaper than the grocery stores. Fruit can be a little more, but is usually much fresher and local, the grocery store's peaches couldn't compare to the local ones.

Farmer's markets have become trendy, so the prices have jumped as a result. Go to a farmer's market in a trendy or upscale part of town and prepare to pay. The big farmer's market that I go to is poo pooed by many because there are vendors that aren't selling "local" products, so it isn't the "trendy" market and can't command the highest prices.
The cost of farming has gone up--fuel, seed costs, labor, feed, processing costs, (it costs $13 to have a duck processed here--to sell that duck as meat, it must be processed in a government-inspected facility), everything has gone up. I think farming is one of those industries that one does not make minimum wage for the number of hours one spends. It is a lifestyle choice, but not one that is going to make one a lot of money and it definitely is one that takes a lot of money to do--most school bus drivers were I live are farmers. The cows can get milked before one has to go to work.

Around here, most FM vendors are small farmers, not corporate farms. My friend does the FM and spends all of Friday getting ready--baking artisan breads, gathering eggs, picking, etc. We did the FM one year--it was a waste of time (not to mention, it was a LONG day because you have to pick in the a.m. and be ready at the FM at 9 a.m.). Also, one doesn't make a lot of $ after paying for the gas, the booth fee, and, the number of hours it takes to pick. Here in ON, things are regulated--if one cuts the tops off carrots, for example, those are processed and one has to do that in a commerical, inspected kitchen. I think the same rule applies if you wash the veggies. I am not allowed to sell my eggs--I don't have a grading license.

My friend that does the CSA sells with/without egg shares (she's in MN), she also sells raw milk. I think she also does 1/2 share for folks who aren't going to eat all the veggies. Her husband has a real job. I have heard people complain about how much stuff they get in their boxes...I've got my own CSA box on the table right now....