Are People Driving Slower?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you find that people are driving slower now that gas prices are higher?

• Total voters
AllenMI said:
I have to drive less than 10 miles to get to my job, and it's not highway driving. I put $25.00 worth of gas (at $2.799/gallon US) into my gas tank Tuesday last week. I still haven't run out of gas yet. It's not so much how fast I'm driving, it's just that I'm not going anywhere except to and from work. I also drive a route that has very few stoplights, so for the most part, it's a constant speed.

AllenMI, I have a similar drive to yours. My drive is 13 miles and I only stop once at the stop sign at where my street joins the highway. Normally, I only meet a half dozen cars or so on the road. So, I am able to keep a constant speed. I have been trying to keep my speed at only 5 mph above the speed limit.

tancowgirl2000 said:
So this brings me to ask....if you are running out of gas....

a) do you drive faster to get to the gas station before you run out...get there quicker use more gas

or

b) do you drive slower to conserve the gas...you drive slower it'll take longer

I believe we will be Driving Electric cars soon. We have alot of Hybrids Here Now. They get 44 MPG on the Highway 49 MPG in the City!:cool:

There are a lot of Golf Carts that people are buying up right now too, they are all electric and they use them in town driving!

Gave up running out of gas when I was in my early 20s, and had a "gas shortage" -- could only buy gas 3 days/week. I never, and mean NEVER, let the tank get below a quarter full. Haven't for three decades.

We have found that what many consider a stupid thing -- driving at 55 mph -- really does conserve gas. Heaven forbid. It also makes it so that you don't have to compete with the big rigs and idiots on the highway. As in "heck, if you want to drive 80 mph, just pass me by". In fact, I tend to set my cruise control at 2-5 mph below the limit when it is over 60, and let everyone pass me by. Driving isn't a competitive sport, it is a method of transportation. And I've driven almost everywhere. Even in LA and other places, (and, no, you can't use cruise control in big cities), if you drive slightly slower than the traffic, people will simply leave you alone, which makes driving easier. I've been a "first time driver" in so many big cities it would turn your head in circles. And it is best to leave the competitive kind of driving some participate in alone. And it just happens to lower your gas prices.

Clair, let me know if you find this too or if it only happens here in MA...

I have been both types of drivers. I have been the one going 80 or faster at times, but I have also been the one to set my cruise control just below the speed limit. Right now I am perfectly content to drive the speed limit or slower, especially when I have my daughter in the car. What I find though is that is can be just as dangerous driving slow as it can driving fast. Maybe even more so. The reason I say this is I CONSTANTLY have 18 wheelers and other cars and trucks come right up behind me and tailgate a foot or two (or less) from my bumper because they are annoyed that I am driving so slow. When they finally get fed up and realize I am not going to speed up they usually (the smaller cars and trucks at least) whip their wheel and slam on the gas to go around me (very dangerous in itself). Does anyone else find this?

This and those people that crank out beside you in town cuz your going to slow...speed limit...JUST to get to the stop light 2 seconds before you!

Well for one I must drive slow because no matter what the speed limit is, i do it and everyone continues to pass me as if i'm not even moving at all.

Yes, I have had that happen to me. As a matter of fact, hubby is thinking of putting our old trailer hitch back on the truck: 40 lbs, sticks out a foot. It is a true pain in the butt when small cars tail-gate me, because .... I can't see them. The blind spot in a regular sized pickup is just the right size for a small car to disappear in. But, you know what? That is their problem. I learned in drivers' ed 30+ years ago that the person behind is virtually always at fault in a rear-ender accident. In other words, stay off my butt. As far as semis go ... yeah, you're right. They are trying to intimidate you. In fact, if you were going 75 and they were going 80, they'd do the same thing, and the results wouldn't be better than when you're going 55 and they want to go 60. They'll get around you. I say you're doing the right thing, and don't let yourself be bullied into driving faster than is safe. Look around you ... what do you see for accidents? Hubby and I conducted a test, and yes, you actually do get better milage going under 60 mph. No, I don't always do it, I simply drive a few mph below the speed limit to get people to leave me alone. One tried-and-true method of driving safety is to put as much space as possible between you and other cars. You cannot control who is behind you, but you can control the space in front of you in most cases (Obviously, not in rush hour traffic in any city in the world)(Oh, I take that back ... you can leave a few feet rather than be on someone's bumper ... not enough for someone to "nose in", but enough that if you are rear-ended, you have a chance to brake before being thrown into someone's trunk).

People tend to drive a bit slower around here since the gas prices have gone out of control. I used to see people doing 65 in a 55 mph zone, not so much anymore though. Most tend to go ten miles over the limit, but as I said, I dont see people doing that as much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom