"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
In mountain biking we call that a hardtail.

Here's my hardtail....
A guy I ride MX with was a professional downhill rider. He's pushing 40 and has some serious skills on 2 wheels. he's sponsored by Sixsixone and Sunstar.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #62
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Anyone ever ride a plunger frame? I was thinking of using one for the bobber project. Something different.

Ideal for a bobber, imo. Something compact, lean and nasty. I would love to do a build!

Old 08-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
BIKIN' DAYS ARE GONE.....................
but not forgotten

ride of choice today..............

mmmm 66 stang. is it a cruiser or a speedster?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #64
Head Chef

closest thing i have to a bike.
|
|
|
|
V
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grizzly.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	4893  
Old 08-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #65
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
^^^ Do you have other hobbies besides cooking?

I'm a cycling enthusiast and ride on the street in traffic. I have even less protection if hit by any vehicle.

This is what I am thinking of 'no protection'. I don't think riding in traffic would bother me either if it was me, but when it is one of your children, how can you NOT think of these things. I am programmed to worry about the safety of the family, even the dog gives me cause to worry.

As far as having hobbies, could it be that washing dishes takes time the time of hobbies, plus trying to keep obligations in perspective. Taking the time to communicate with the Discuss Cooking family has been getting more priority in my life. so addicting but a good one.

Thanks for caring.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I try to limit my riding after dark, but if I have to, I use the proper gear. like I said though, those times are very few, besides a hop up the road to the store or something...

As for scooters with clutches, most scooters have twist and go CVT(continuously variable transmission) and no shifting is needed. I have seen some old vespas that are manual 3 speeds though. My Baja averages 89mpg at about a top speed of 65-67, depending on road conditions. At $5.76 to fill the tank(every 2 weeks) it is the MOST economic vehicle I have ever owned, and for a scooter, it looks rather nice.
Since my one son has the scooter, we don't know about repairs. Do they need clutches very often? He was told yesterday that he needs another one. He is fortunate to have found someone who works on scooters. As far as going to the store where he bought it, he does not trust those people. These people that sold him the scooter, where the only dealer here in St Louis. He resented doing business with them as he didn't really have lot of trust in them. Questioned their integrity. Kind of sick feeling. My son has told me that Baja are not being made any where.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 AM   #67
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Since my one son has the scooter, we don't know about repairs. Do they need clutches very often? He was told yesterday that he needs another one. He is fortunate to have found someone who works on scooters. As far as going to the store where he bought it, he does not trust those people. These people that sold him the scooter, where the only dealer here in St Louis. He resented doing business with them as he didn't really have lot of trust in them. Questioned their integrity. Kind of sick feeling. My son has told me that Baja are not being made any where.

As far as the maintainance schedule goes, I am not too sure. You can tell when a clutch is going bad, as it slips and you loose drive. I would recommend him looking on craigslist for a mechanic, or join a scooter forum to get the "experts" advice.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #68
Head Chef

I am a member of AMA so technically yes i am a biker