"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Everymom

Are we there yet?

I feel like a little kid. I have two trips coming up and I'm sooooo looking forward to some time away from what has become a truly frantic month.

What are you looking forward to?

Old 01-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

LOL the very first time our daughter said "Are we there yet" when we were in the car I turned to my wife and declared that we were now officially parents

We are taking our daughter to Disney in just a few short days (that will feel like very long days). She is ultra-excited, but I think I am more excited than she is. Not only do I get to enjoy Disney and the warm weather and not working, but I get to enjoy watching my daughter enjoy the magic of Disney for the first time. I think that will top everything else for me.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Everymom

GB, that sounds just magical! Will you be there on your birthday? I think I'd be looking forward to that too.

Its dreary and cold and wintery here. Somewhere warm and slightly tropical beckons.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

We are actually going for Rachel's birthday although we won't be going until a few days after her actual date which is in the beginning of Feb. I can't wait. We are staying in the Animal Kingdom Lodge because Rach loves animals. Our balcony overlooks the wildlife preserve so we may have giraffes poking their head up onto our balcony as we have our morning coffee. That should be interesting.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Everymom

COOL!!! I trust you will be sharing pictures?

My trips are not nearly as exciting as that. I'm off to Vegas in February with Kate and her ball team. There is a Valentines day tournament. (Coincidentally my birthday that weekend!) And in March we are off to Cuba. Ken is hosting another trip. It just can't seem to come quickly enough for me!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
COOL!!! I trust you will be sharing pictures?
You know me too well

Your trips sound pretty exciting to me. I am not a gambler, but have wanted to visit Vegas for a long time. And Cuba just sounds amazing to me, but being from the US I can not visit. Being forbidden just makes the want to go there stronger. I hope some day the restriction is lifted and I am able to visit.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Everymom

I honestly think the restrictions will be lifted soon. Its a long time since things were so icky between the two countries and governments have changed and evolved. Cuba really is beautiful.

I've never been to Vegas either! I'm just hoping the weather will be hot when we go. It feels like its been a long winter already and its only January!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I sure hope you are right, and not just because I want to visit.

I am with you on the weather. I am so done with the cold. I was nervous about the Florida weather since they went through that major cold snap a short while ago, but they seemed to have pulled out of it so I am not worried anymore. As long as it is 50 degrees or warmer I will be happy.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Everymom

We went about this time of year and we played in the pools and wore our summer clothes. It was between 60-70 most of the time. We were the only ones who ever went in the pools and strangely, everyone seemed to know we were Canadian!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

LOL I remember visiting my grandparents with my brother one year. It was in the 60's, but there was no way in hell that we were going back to Boston without a Florida tan. So there we were, the only two people at the pool, laying out in bathing suits and socks
And all the Floridians who saw us just shook their heads and mumbled "Northerners" under their breath as they walked by in their coats and sweaters.