Are you a dog man or cat person?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I have mentioned many times, the Vet and I feed the kit kat alley strays ... Sometimes, I am tempted to take home a twosome ( cushion for each other ) however, we cannot make that commitment at this moment with my Mom and his Mom in distinct parts of the world ...

Thanks for all your input.
Margi.

Last edited:
I assume you have never seen the Painted Dogs of the Australian outback? They are packs, and hunt with great cunning, and ability. Hell, even stray dogs seem to get by fine.

Any animal, in the absence of humans, can survive just fine. They were wild animals, before humans domesticated them.
The evolution of the domestic dog has resulted in most of the breeds that humans have engineered do not have the "tear apart and eat" instinct--domestic dogs when they become strays are scavengers--they are found near garbage dumps, etc., not generally hunting and killing other animals. Although dogs, wolves, and coyotes have 78 chromosomes, dogs differ from the wild canids in that dogs have 76 autosomonal and 2 sexual chromosomes, foxes only have 72 chromosomes.

Some breeds will chase down and kill animals, but rarely will they rip the carcass apart and eat it. This is what sets domestic dogs apart from wild canids. Some domestic breeds will shake and kill, but they will not eat what they have killed. I have a book somewhere that was written by a biologist who studied these traits in dogs. It is a very interesting read. I just don't know which box it is in. I do know that one of my Saints would climb a tree, shake the branch until the fledgling robins fell out. She would squeak them to death. She never ate them, however. Ironically, she is fine around the chickens (mind you, her tree-climbing days are long behind her--she will not be with us much longer). I picked up a stray dog on the road once--she weighed 35 lb, When she died 12 years later, she weighed 68 lb. She obviously had been wandering for some time and was starving. The vet was surprised that she did not have internal organ damage. She could run like the wind, catch a frisbee on the fly, but she never caught any animals and, most likely, would never have torn them open to eat them. I had a dog once that caught and killed a rabbit. She didn't eat it. My father's hunting dog used to catch partridges and bring them to my dad--who would then have to either kill them or release them. Cats have the instinct to eat what they kill--most domestic dogs do not.

Last edited:
Very much so a dog person here, and just dof but big dogs. Had 3 thruout my life. All 3 were more than 100 pounds. But no more. Cannot hadle the pain of loosing a friend.

CharlieD said:
Very much so a dog person here, and just dof but big dogs. Had 3 thruout my life. All 3 were more than 100 pounds. But no more. Cannot hadle the pain of loosing a friend.

That's the problem, dogs never last long enough. It's like losing a teenager.

I used to lament that dogs did not live long enough, and threatened to get parrots. A friend said that not all dogs are kept in the environment mine were, and would I want dogs that were tied in yards without human companionship to live as long as parrots. No.

I am on my last dog (well, I thought Isabelle was my last dog). The DH will always have dogs, but I have had many, many dogs, sometimes as many as seven at a time. I loved each and every one of them, miss them still, BUT life without dogs (or with only one) is a a lot easier than with seven. And, my house stays a lot cleaner so I can spend more time doing other things--like hanging out on the forum!

CWS4322 said:
I used to lament that dogs did not live long enough, and threatened to get parrots. A friend said that not all dogs are kept in the environment mine were, and would I want dogs that were tied in yards without human companionship to live as long as parrots. No.

I am on my last dog (well, I thought Isabelle was my last dog). The DH will always have dogs, but I have had many, many dogs, sometimes as many as seven at a time. I loved each and every one of them, miss them still, BUT life without dogs (or with only one) is a a lot easier than with seven. And, my house stays a lot cleaner so I can spend more time doing other things--like hanging out on the forum!

You have done so much for so many dogs, CWS! I can understand why you might be totally burned out. Most of us have only one or two at a time, and they become our children.

I've had a lot of dogs, the most at one time was three, with an occasional dog or two for fostering or babysitting. That was enough! Love being a single beagle family now!

Last edited:
The evolution of the domestic dog has resulted in most of the breeds that humans have engineered do not have the "tear apart and eat" instinct--domestic dogs when they become strays are scavengers--they are found near garbage dumps, etc., not generally hunting and killing other animals. Although dogs, wolves, and coyotes have 78 chromosomes, dogs differ from the wild canids in that dogs have 76 autosomonal and 2 sexual chromosomes, foxes only have 72 chromosomes.

Some breeds will chase down and kill animals, but rarely will they rip the carcass apart and eat it. This is what sets domestic dogs apart from wild canids. Some domestic breeds will shake and kill, but they will not eat what they have killed. I have a book somewhere that was written by a biologist who studied these traits in dogs. It is a very interesting read. I just don't know which box it is in. I do know that one of my Saints would climb a tree, shake the branch until the fledgling robins fell out. She would squeak them to death. She never ate them, however. Ironically, she is fine around the chickens (mind you, her tree-climbing days are long behind her--she will not be with us much longer). I picked up a stray dog on the road once--she weighed 35 lb, When she died 12 years later, she weighed 68 lb. She obviously had been wandering for some time and was starving. The vet was surprised that she did not have internal organ damage. She could run like the wind, catch a frisbee on the fly, but she never caught any animals and, most likely, would never have torn them open to eat them. I had a dog once that caught and killed a rabbit. She didn't eat it. My father's hunting dog used to catch partridges and bring them to my dad--who would then have to either kill them or release them. Cats have the instinct to eat what they kill--most domestic dogs do not.

Certainly informative, very much so.

My point was being, dogs, given the absence of man, would still do fine, and there are loads of examples where that is the case.

Living in Costa Rica, the neighbor next door hated the feral dogs, as they killed, and ate his chickens. These were pups of strays. He had a disdain for dogs, unparalleled by anyone I had ever met. When seeing the dogs, and trying to be "friendly" to them, they certainly had NO interest in humans, nor hand outs. . . a different story if you leave them food, and leave, of course it would be gone in the A.M.

I appreciate the genealogy/science behind it, that is some cool info. I still think though that there is still an element of dogs, that given the right circumstance, can revert back to the way nature had them at first, before man got into breeding certain traits both in, and out. Some breeds will do better than others, of course, but dogs as a whole wouldn't go extinct.

I used to lament that dogs did not live long enough, and threatened to get parrots.

My mother has an Umbrella Cockatoo, and an African Timneh Grey. . . .they will be mine, one day. . .the longevity of the birds is pretty amazing! I LOVE Pee Wee, the Cockatoo, but the Grey. . .well, while an amazing talker, remarkably smart for a bird, is a little less than personable, and I am NOT looking forward to having a living alarm clock, lol. That bird has a better internal clock than anything I have ever seen. . .5:10-5:20, every single day. let the circus begin.

Couldn't agree more, especially with the breeds that I have a particular affection towards: Great Danes, Newffies, Irish Wolf Hounds, St.Bernards. .. basically any of the LARGE dog breeds, I just LOVE! But, the bigger the dog, the shorter the life, poor hearts.

Couldn't agree more, especially with the breeds that I have a particular affection towards: Great Danes, Newffies, Irish Wolf Hounds, St.Bernards. .. basically any of the LARGE dog breeds, I just LOVE! But, the bigger the dog, the shorter the life, poor hearts.
I've shared my life with two of those breeds. I had one Saint die at the age of 8, another at the age of 12. Isabelle is somewhere between 12-14. I have fostered and placed Danes...none of them lived to be a double-digit age. One Newf died at 6, another at 12, another at 13. And there are all those Saints, Newfs, and others that were my rescue dogs and I am their rescue mom...over 80. I've done my bit for unwanted dogs and loved them all. I've only had one puppy in my adult life--he was the thank you gift that the first Newf we rescued gave us. All the others were somebody else's cast-offs.

Last edited:
CWS4322 said:
I've shared my life with two of those breeds. I had one Saint die at the age of 8, another at the age of 12. Isabelle is somewhere between 12-14. I have fostered and placed Danes...none of them lived to be a double-digit age. One Newf died at 6, another at 12, another at 13. And there are all those Saints, Newfs, and others that were my rescue dogs and I am their rescue mom...over 80. I've done my bit for unwanted dogs and loved them all. I've only had one puppy in my adult life--he was the thank you gift that the first Newf we rescued gave us. All the others were somebody else's cast-offs.

Beagle and I went on our walk tonight and we ran into one of her favorite boyfriends, a Black Mouth Cur, a massive dog that's patterned like a tiger. He's had several surgeries on his knees and hip, and his owner said he's about 7. He's recovering from his latest surgery, but loves everyone, and obviously his owners love him too!

I agree, if the only life for a dog is to be tied up, don't get a dog. That's no life. However, I suspect most of the DC gang might baby our furbabies a bit....

I would LOVE to get a Komondor, preferably black, and I would have a little Rasta hat for him, lol.

A good old mate, Mark had one, named Teddy. One of the most amazing, loveable, well tempered dogs I had ever seen. Smart too! REALLY SMART. The unique coat is certainly not something you see everyday, but it's surprisingly soft. I just loved that dog, and he was quite the conversation starter whenever I got to dog sit, and take him out to the beach.

Puli-Puppies-For-Sale-3.jpg

Last edited:
TATTRAT said:
I would LOVE to get a Komondor, preferably black, and I would have a little Rasta hat for him, lol.

A good old mate, Mark had one, named Teddy. One of the most amazing, loveable, well tempered dogs I had ever seen. Smart too! REALLY SMART. The unique coat is certainly not something you see everyday, but it's surprisingly soft. I just loved that dog, and he was quite the conversation starter whenever I got to dog sit, and take him out to the beach.

I watched a special on Komodors, wow, the grooming and upkeep! They are really cool dogs, though.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Why are you sorry?

Roe is so cute and she's my puppy of the moment and I can give her back to her Mom anytime.:LOL: As an apartment dweller, I only get to dream.

True.

Back
Top Bottom