"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I had a Siberian Husky. Sasha was so smart it was a nuisance. She could figure out more ways of bending the rules...

E.g., Sasha had been taught not to chew through her leash. A friend's husky, Quinn, stayed with us while the friend was on vacation. Sasha chewed through Quinn's leash.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I had a Siberian Husky. Sasha was so smart it was a nuisance. She could figure out more ways of bending the rules...

E.g., Sasha had been taught not to chew through her leash. A friend's husky, Quinn, stayed with us while the friend was on vacation. Sasha chewed through Quinn's leash.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

Shrek says, yup too smart for their own good sometimes.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
BTW, I had three indoor cats when I had Sasha and one when Quinn came to stay. There was a truce. The dogs wanted to sniff the cats' bums and eat their food. The cats seemed to think that the dogs were just too uncouth. There wasn't any fighting.

The cats did gang up on Sasha. When we got her she was skinny. We put out two large bowls of canned dog food. We took her for a walk. When we came home the dog food bowls were empty. There were three, very uncomfortable, football shaped cats lying on their sides on the kitchen floor. They were practically moaning.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

That sounds like many of the Great Danes I've known.

To better explain the difference between say a Newfoundland and a Sibe, a Newfoundland has about a 10-ft comfort zone re: away from it's people when out walking, a Sibe...a mile. We used to take the Newfs out walking with about 30-40 other Newfoundlands at a dog park. The Newfs walked in single file either alongside their people or right behind them. A young Saint joined us one month (this was a monthly event). The young Saint took off. My Newf looked at another Newf, nodded his head left, the other nodded right. They took off at a gallop after the Saint and aligned themselves on either side of him, and then made a Newf-Saint-Newf sandwich--squeezing said Saint between them until he stopped. They stood with him between them for about 7 seconds (I counted). Then the two Newfs pivoted and came back to the group. The Saint did the same.

I often dog-sat a friend's Sibe. She was not other-dog friendly nor was she cat-friendly. She killed a stray cat that made the mistake of coming on the property one time while she was staying with me. Not pretty. And, I had to tie her in a fenced yard--she could jump the 6-ft fence (and did). She was a DOLL with people.

As a general rule-of-thumb, working breeds are much tougher for the average pet owner than sporting breeds. Newfoundlands, as a breed, were developed to be companion animals (during the Victorian period). They are a working breed because they have this desire to please their people (most of the time, although, I've also have met Newfs that were handfuls).

Do your research before getting a dog. There are many breeds from which to choose. And, the "mutts are healthy" is a myth--it is because the statistics are not kept about mutts that people think that. A hereditary disease/condition can be inherited as often by a mixed breed as a purebred.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
When we were in the market for a dog seven years ago...

See, she gets buys dog at the market too!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Markets here don't usually sell dogs...
Old 08-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #38
Senior Cook

We have a dog, two cats, a fish, a bird and a snake.

Here's a good question for you.....
Cats are independent, they don't listen, they don't come in when you call, they like to stay out all night, and when they're home they like to be left alone and sleep. In other words, every quality that women hate in a man, they love in a cat! WHY?
Old 08-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Markets here don't usually sell dogs...
Check the Vietnamese market!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Just for the record...I am not on the same page as Sir Loin of Beef!!! ;)