Are you a dog man or cat person?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greg, I really enjoyed reading that, thank you .

I am also a dog person. We have a retired greyhound from a rescue centre. You hear some terrible stories about greyhounds being mistreated and some are just shot when they finish racing (they retire them at around age 4 or 5). Happily we met our dogs previous owners and he was treated well . They are lovely placid dogs and incredibly lazy, he loves being retired .

Gravy Queen & Greg: Thanks for your Contributions

:) Thanks for your feedback and lovely anecdotes.

I do recall when we were visiting my parents at their Condo on South Miami Beach back in the 1980s, many people were adopting Greyhounds from the Greyhound Race Track ... They were treated terribly from what I had understood. As a matter of fact, I knew a gal from Italia who wrote articles on the subject ... and had one female she rescued ...

I am veered toward felines, however, I have always lived in Skyscraper Turf, and walking a pooch, is just not in my stars. I like large breeds and they need space, and exercise.

All I can say is, it is an enormous commitment that one makes for a long time, and we travel alot at the moment, thus, it is best, not to have any mascots at home.

After León and Onyx, my 2 British Short Hair Kit Kats, a blue cream tiger and an all black, passed on at the age of 22, we said, no more ...

All my best,
Margi.

I got my dog from the dog pound. He was a year old and statistics show that more puppies get adopted and often older dogs are euthanized. People want to adopt cute puppies. I often wonder if I saved his life. When I met him I made a 10 minute decision to adopt him. I was afraid if I didn't that somebody else would so it was one of those life decisions where you have to make up your mind right that instant. I've had him almost 14 years now, he's about 15. He's a cute breed, looks mostly cocker spaniel to me. Probably a lot of other breeds in there too. He looks even cuter IMO as a sr. citizen dog.

That is lovely Greg :)

What is his name?

Definitely dog. One beagle, though she would dearly love to have her own kitty, to hug, squeeze, wub, and call it her squooshy. Unfortunately, kitties don't care for beagle.

Yeah ,,, a proper dog. I have one, too; and a domestic short-hair female cat, a runt rescued from a woodpile mother who'd lost her milk. They're the same age (5) and working out a relationship -- I think she likes it ruff!

taxlady said:
I'm a cat person. I like dogs, but I like cats more. I find dogs too excitable. "Oh I'm so glad you're home!" bounce, bounce, bounce. "I just took out the garbage. I was only gone two minutes." bounce, bounce.

Again ROFL! You folks are too much.

Ok now that I've stopped laughing...

When I bought my home in 2000 the owner had two feral cats hanging around.

He asked me if I wanted them or should he drop them off at the pound.

Duh!

I'm a sucker for the elderly, children and critters so they stayed.

One was a little black and white female who was very timid.

It took eight years for her to let me pet her and another year for her highness to allow me to pick her up.

She passed this year and rests under my irises.

The other is a male named Max.
He and I have been best buds from the beginning. He's getting old but then aren't we all.

Here he is hanging out with me in my shop.

When he goes he'll rest beside baby girl.

Then I want a kitten and a puppy and we can all be pals.

A

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120827_221443.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120827_221443.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 176
Good grief, how did I miss this one (my computer was down for the better part of a month, that's how!). So many people say they just love XYZ. Dogs, children, cats, etc. In fact, I take them as I find them. In recent years it has been dogs. My husband of 30 years is much more allergic to cats than he is to dogs. We've had both and loved them. I love cats for their independence. I can go away for a day or two, have someone kind of watching the house, and those gals will be pretty happy having their own house to themselves.

On the other hand, there is nothing like the welcome you get when you come home to your doggie. My last two were JR mutts, and this one, Rosebud, you pretty much all know. She came to us totally crate trained, so we didn't want to un-do that. But there is something to be said for a doggie who wants nothing more than to see you, period. In my experience, a cat is never all that happy to see you.

i am a cat person. i love the fact that the relationship is on their terms. when i cat loves you , you are really loves. mostly cats don't like anyone.

i like dogs and have had two or three along the way. they need to be able to run and play. that can't happen where i live and i couldn't walk a dog.

my daughter has a thirteen month old great dane, that weighs 110 pounds. she lives in the back country and so the dog gets to run and chase the rabbits.,

babetoo said:
i am a cat person. i love the fact that the relationship is on their terms. when i cat loves you , you are really loves. mostly cats don't like anyone.

i like dogs and have had two or three along the way. they need to be able to run and play. that can't happen where i live and i couldn't walk a dog.

my daughter has a thirteen month old great dane, that weighs 110 pounds. she lives in the back country and so the dog gets to run and chase the rabbits.,

My dogs live to chase rabbits too Babe. They have five acres to chase them.

I am a dog person also. Now if I say 'dog woman' does that mean I look like a dog? Good grief, I hope not. I prefer small dogs. Easier to care for. :angel:

The latest with Rosebud is that I was snoozing this afternoon. Not something I do a lot, but since I broke the hip, more than usual. We'd had people over for a few snacks yesterday, so hubby, doggie, and I were all taking it easy. Although Rosebud only weighs 25 lbs, she is a heavy chewer, and I buy her these enormous rawhide bone for her to jaw on when we have company. I'm talking, they are almost as long as she is, chest-to-butt. Anyway, I was napping and she tried to put the damned rawhide bone in my mouth. I could see the message in her eyes: Here, Claire, eat this, you will feel better! I almost died laughing. It was so funny.

The latest with Rosebud is that I was snoozing this afternoon. Not something I do a lot, but since I broke the hip, more than usual. We'd had people over for a few snacks yesterday, so hubby, doggie, and I were all taking it easy. Although Rosebud only weighs 25 lbs, she is a heavy chewer, and I buy her these enormous rawhide bone for her to jaw on when we have company. I'm talking, they are almost as long as she is, chest-to-butt. Anyway, I was napping and she tried to put the damned rawhide bone in my mouth. I could see the message in her eyes: Here, Claire, eat this, you will feel better! I almost died laughing. It was so funny.
That's so sweet and funny.

Claire said:

Rosebud might have something there, Claire, glucosomine and condroitin!

Our previous dogs have gifted us with a very dead mole (wedding present) and a live toad ( just because).

Roe wouldn't let me have whatever she was chewing on...about 20 minutes later she spit out a cherry pit. I hope she liked the dried cherry.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Roe wouldn't let me have whatever she was chewing on...about 20 minutes later she spit out a cherry pit. I hope she liked the dried cherry.

Dogs can be so stubborn! DH struggled with beagle and a mummified chicken breast she found on a walk, she nearly won.

When Teddy was just a puppy, he would pick up anything that caught his fancy when he was out walking. My son taught him very early on, to "drop it" and he does.

Last year someone up his way tossed out some dcon where pigeons liked to gather. Before you knew it there were a bunch of dead pigeons around. Some of the neighborhood dogs got sick eating them. When my son got wind of this, he changed his walking routine into another direction. Why take chances? :angel:

Non discriminatory. I love critters. Some I love because they're beautiful in their own wonderful way.

Some I love because they are delicious!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom