"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Aha! The great crafts/hobbies/art mess! It rears its ugly head! This year I was so proud of myself. First step: End Denial. The fact is I hate to sew. There are many reasons why I've done a lot of sewing in my life, but most of them are moot at this point. Second, have a crafty friend over, lay out all the stuff I'll never use, in spite of good intentions, and let her have at it. The rest to Goodwill. In some ways this was harder than the clothes I'll never wear, kitchen ware too specific to get used even annually, etc. This is admitting that I'm too darned lazy and am not going to do it.
You have nailed it exactly, Claire. Giving away my fabric was admitting my own failure to finish whatever project I bought it for in the first place. I hate that!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #52
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
you were giving away fabric and yarn and didn't tell me?!?!?!
:)
I know what you mean! In California I sewed a lot (I made almost all of my daughter's and my clothes). Since moving to South Carolina, I have been buying fabric every time I see something I love, but I wasn't getting much sewing done--mainly because I didn't have the room or the time. Now that we have cleaned out our second bedroom (which was full of junk that we finally went through) and turned it into James's computer room and my sewing room, I am finally getting back to it. In addition to all the fabric I already had, a friend's mom died last year, and my friend gave me boxes and bags of fabric and yarn. We needed money, so we ended up selling a lot of the yarn to a little second-hand shop. Little did we know that I was going to learn how to crochet in March. LOL Sewing is my favorite thing, but crocheting and cross-stitch will help keep me busy too.

Barbara

Old 05-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to meshoo96
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I just visited my bottomless pit room today looking for safety pins.
Does he travel?
I'll make a pie......
he says make it cookies and you have a deal....
Old 05-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #54
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
heck yeah.... and MN doesn't have the issues of NJ. ANY excuse to out out of here....
Old 05-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Dh and I made a pact a few years ago that if someone comes to visit and really admires something he or I own and we are not that attached to the object then we take it off the wall or shelf or whatever and give it to that person. The rule is he can't give away my stuff and I can't give away his stuff unless we both agree at the same time.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
lol. sweet. I've been trying to get rid of a bunch of stuff that's not really "ours" for awhile...
Old 05-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #57
Executive Chef

I'm getting ready ( MENTALLY) to do a big spring clean I'm much better than DH. I will go thru every room, closet, cabinet and so on and rid myself of useless stuff. DH has a harder time. In the past I have gotten rid of some stuff and then wished I had not but I get over it rather quickly. As I said before most Americans are the worst pack rats ever and spend too much money on totally stupid useless things. Someday I hope to conquer this bad habit for good. I have gotten better but want to get much, much better. With the economy as it is I think we will all get better with the useless spending. I think that is a good thing that we should all learn to spend on what really counts. I also believe you should not take good stuff and just throw it in the trash but yet pass it on to someone else that could actually appreciate or benefit from the stuff you no longer want. I have known some people that have absolutely nothing and yet throw it all away rather than share with someone else and I mean great clean unbroken toys and so on. I truly believe that if you think of others and give things away it's better than tossing it in the trash. I also believe that if you even give things you no longer want or need it will come back to you in one way or another.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #58
Head Chef

We have a nice big enclosed service porch off our kitchen, that we use for a pantry and DH also stores some of his tools there - it is also my painting studio. I spent a day this week going through all of my shelves, throwing stuff out, rearranging stuff, etc. DH was taking stuff out of the trash as fast as I was putting it in.....oh dear. I explained to him that I was trying to be ruthless, but he kept finding treasures he wanted to keep. For the past two years he has been collecting beach glass, tiles, shells and rocks for special art projects. At long last, he is making stepping stones for the garden out of cement, and imbedding these objects. They're beautiful. He's very artistic and creative...just a little messy.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:05 AM   #59
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to meshoo96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSix210 View Post
lol. sweet. I've been trying to get rid of a bunch of stuff that's not really "ours" for awhile...
not fair.... when we win the lottery, i have no problem getting rid of everything and buying brand new. And by win the lottery, i'm talking BIG jackpot, not just a few thousand....