Are You a "Messie" Like Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I definitely have messie tendencies; I can never see the point of putting away something I know I'm going to use in the immediate future -- in other words, the several books I'm currently reading will NOT be in the book case, but on the table by whatever piece of furniture I'll be sitting or lying on when I pick it up again. Whatever projects I have going will NOT be cleaned up between efforts at it (i.e., laundry will be all over the laundry/bath/utility room, in sorted piles until it is all clean; my beadwork tables and pallette will be out on the table I use for that project until I'm done with it, ditto sewing). Picking up between stabs at working on something just doubles the amount of work I have to do.

ON THE OTHER HAND, maybe because I've moved so often in my life, every year I look over possessions, if I haven't used/worn something in a year, unless it is seasonal, it goes to trash or Goodwill. I hate having garage sales, but when I've had to, I arrange for pickup immediately after by whatever charity does pickups. I don't know how many times I've arrived at a new home to look at a box of stuff (there always seems to be a box of stuff, you know those odds and ends that defy catagorization) or even what I thought were possessions I could not part with, only to find myself wondering why I brought it with me on the move. Clothes that were more worn out than I remembered, etc. Yes, I do occasionlly find myself thinking, gee I could have used that whatchamicallit that I threw/gave away a couple of years ago. BUT ... not very often, certainly not often enough to change my ways.

I have a friend who calls me her hero for my ability to throw away the unnecessary. I even converted my once-junk-collecting husband to my ways (exactly why DID he need 4 pairs of combat boots when the chances of him needing them again were fractional, and if he did, the Army would have issued him more?).

my messes are being cleaned up by abel the handyman. he does a great job. has finished the sunroom and the bathroom. will be back tomorrow. we are doing curtains, etc. he is very detailed oriented

babe:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:) I used to be a non-messie then got married adopted 3 dogs and 2 cats. DH is a big messie he loves to pile mail etc on kitchen table drives me crazy. I have learned to live with a good bit of clutter because I just can't keep up with it. I like to do crafts and but have no where to put my things. But compared to some it's not that bad. But still I would love to have a home anyone can come over anytime and have it perfect. I chose not to have kids don't know what my mental state would have been if I did.
My motto "My house is a mess because" PEOPLE LIVE HERE!"
If our house was just a little bit bigger and we had more closets it would be better. :rolleyes: Then again if I had more space would it be big enough or would I need more space after that? Think about it most Americans tend to pack rat stuff that they will never use or even remember that we have all that stupid stuff. I give things away all the time to cut down all the useless things that have no other reason but to take up space and collect dust. Don't get me wrong I still have many so called collectibles some I will keep forever but after time it's not hard to give some of the silly things away.
Bottom line we tend to hang on to a lot of stuff that has no real use. Things we need to rearrange and dust. Wasting good money on things that that are not needed has been a big problem for me for a long time. But I am getting better and try to not to purchase things I really do not need. It's way to easy to buy stupid stuff in America because it'so cheap. But I think with food and gas prices the way they are maybe will we will get back to the basics and learn that buying useless things will not make you happy in the long run.

My motto "My house is a mess because" PEOPLE LIVE HERE!"
If our house was just a little bit bigger and we had more closets it would be better. :rolleyes: Then again if I had more space would it be big enough or would I need more space after that? Think about it most Americans tend to pack rat stuff that they will never use or even remember that we have all that stupid stuff. I give things away all the time to cut down all the useless things that have no other reason but to take up space and collect dust. Don't get me wrong I still have many so called collectibles some I will keep forever but after time it's not hard to give some of the silly things away.
Bottom line we tend to hang on to a lot of stuff that has no real use. Things we need to rearrange and dust. Wasting good money on things that that are not needed has been a big problem for me for a long time. But I am getting better and try to not to purchase things I really do not need. It's way to easy to buy stupid stuff in America because it'so cheap. But I think with food and gas prices the way they are maybe will we will get back to the basics and learn that buying useless things will not make you happy in the long run.
You and me both, JP. I've been boxing up stuff I was hanging onto for no good reason and taking it to local charities. (Waaaayy too much fabric, yarn, etc. for one person to use in a lifetime!) I've made a serious dent but I still have to convince my packrat boys that they can live without a lot of this stuff.

you were giving away fabric and yarn and didn't tell me?!?!?!
:)

Aha! The great crafts/hobbies/art mess! It rears its ugly head! This year I was so proud of myself. First step: End Denial. The fact is I hate to sew. There are many reasons why I've done a lot of sewing in my life, but most of them are moot at this point. Second, have a crafty friend over, lay out all the stuff I'll never use, in spite of good intentions, and let her have at it. The rest to Goodwill. In some ways this was harder than the clothes I'll never wear, kitchen ware too specific to get used even annually, etc. This is admitting that I'm too darned lazy and am not going to do it.

I did get rid of a big pile this weekend, my SIL had a baby so I got rid of all my baby boy clothes, and a bunch of my big clothes I bought after my last baby. I feel really bad asking people if they want my big clothes after they had a baby, but I know one thing after 3 kids, you need them for at least a little while, and if you don't have to pay for them to wear only once (like maternity clothes) it's even better!
Now I just have to make the trek to the baby re-sale store to sell my highchair and swing and other bulky baby things, or get over wanting a few bucks for it and donate it.

I did get rid of a big pile this weekend, my SIL had a baby so I got rid of all my baby boy clothes, and a bunch of my big clothes I bought after my last baby. I feel really bad asking people if they want my big clothes after they had a baby, but I know one thing after 3 kids, you need them for at least a little while, and if you don't have to pay for them to wear only once (like maternity clothes) it's even better!
Now I just have to make the trek to the baby re-sale store to sell my highchair and swing and other bulky baby things, or get over wanting a few bucks for it and donate it.
A big High-Five for not needing big clothes anymore!!! Isn't it hard getting rid of the baby things? I still haven't managed to do it with Fisher's stuff. (I keep hoping I'll have a grandchild one day.)

But here's a good idea - if you have a changing table and no use for it - you can re-purpose it. I had a very heavy, sturdy one for Fish. When he was too big for it, I turned it into a rolling bar cart for one of my drunken friends.:LOL: (She's not really a drunk.) I just attached 4 casters and a towel bar on one end to use as a handle/towel bar. It worked great and looked wonderful. A couple of weeks ago, we turned it into a bake station/work table for her kitchen. We took off the "lip" around the top edge and then applied ceramic tile to the top and the two shelves underneath. We added a magnetic knife rail on one long side and a towel rail that we hung from the bottom (underneath) the top of the cart and added s hooks to it so she can hang utensils, etc. from it. We put a few hooks around the sides for hanging things like rolling pins. It looks fabulous and is narrow enough to roll through her very narrow galley kitchen.

Aha! The great crafts/hobbies/art mess! It rears its ugly head! This year I was so proud of myself. First step: End Denial. The fact is I hate to sew. There are many reasons why I've done a lot of sewing in my life, but most of them are moot at this point. Second, have a crafty friend over, lay out all the stuff I'll never use, in spite of good intentions, and let her have at it. The rest to Goodwill. In some ways this was harder than the clothes I'll never wear, kitchen ware too specific to get used even annually, etc. This is admitting that I'm too darned lazy and am not going to do it.
You have nailed it exactly, Claire. Giving away my fabric was admitting my own failure to finish whatever project I bought it for in the first place. I hate that!

you were giving away fabric and yarn and didn't tell me?!?!?!
:)
I know what you mean! In California I sewed a lot (I made almost all of my daughter's and my clothes). Since moving to South Carolina, I have been buying fabric every time I see something I love, but I wasn't getting much sewing done--mainly because I didn't have the room or the time. Now that we have cleaned out our second bedroom (which was full of junk that we finally went through) and turned it into James's computer room and my sewing room, I am finally getting back to it. In addition to all the fabric I already had, a friend's mom died last year, and my friend gave me boxes and bags of fabric and yarn. We needed money, so we ended up selling a lot of the yarn to a little second-hand shop. Little did we know that I was going to learn how to crochet in March. LOL Sewing is my favorite thing, but crocheting and cross-stitch will help keep me busy too.

:)Barbara

:) Dh and I made a pact a few years ago that if someone comes to visit and really admires something he or I own and we are not that attached to the object then we take it off the wall or shelf or whatever and give it to that person. The rule is he can't give away my stuff and I can't give away his stuff unless we both agree at the same time.

:) I'm getting ready ( MENTALLY) to do a big spring clean I'm much better than DH. I will go thru every room, closet, cabinet and so on and rid myself of useless stuff. DH has a harder time. In the past I have gotten rid of some stuff and then wished I had not but I get over it rather quickly. As I said before most Americans are the worst pack rats ever and spend too much money on totally stupid useless things. Someday I hope to conquer this bad habit for good. I have gotten better but want to get much, much better. With the economy as it is I think we will all get better with the useless spending. I think that is a good thing that we should all learn to spend on what really counts. I also believe you should not take good stuff and just throw it in the trash but yet pass it on to someone else that could actually appreciate or benefit from the stuff you no longer want. I have known some people that have absolutely nothing and yet throw it all away rather than share with someone else and I mean great clean unbroken toys and so on. I truly believe that if you think of others and give things away it's better than tossing it in the trash. I also believe that if you even give things you no longer want or need it will come back to you in one way or another.

We have a nice big enclosed service porch off our kitchen, that we use for a pantry and DH also stores some of his tools there - it is also my painting studio. I spent a day this week going through all of my shelves, throwing stuff out, rearranging stuff, etc. DH was taking stuff out of the trash as fast as I was putting it in.....oh dear. I explained to him that I was trying to be ruthless, but he kept finding treasures he wanted to keep. For the past two years he has been collecting beach glass, tiles, shells and rocks for special art projects. At long last, he is making stepping stones for the garden out of cement, and imbedding these objects. They're beautiful. He's very artistic and creative...just a little messy.

Back
Top Bottom