"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-14-2005, 09:49 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Floridagirl Send a message via MSN to Floridagirl
Well. I'd say I'm not a picky eater. I like to try new things and I try everything before I say I don't like it. But I'm also picky with the freshness of the ingredients and how the food is prepared!

Old 09-14-2005, 09:52 AM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
Im not sure if I can be considered picky. I wont eat broscht(bad experience with my grandma when I was a kid and it still scares me), and I wont eat headcheese. Dad used to make it all the time and I just cant get over it. Ill eat variety meats, wild meats, oh I wont eat lamb again ick!, veggies and fruits. I dont care a whole lot for fruits but I do tolerate them. And I dont like anything sweet.....marshmellows, sweet cakes, gives me a tummy ache thinking of it, chocolate I can handle in very small doses......am I picky...im not sure

Old 09-14-2005, 11:24 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
Im not sure if I can be considered picky. I wont eat broscht(bad experience with my grandma when I was a kid and it still scares me), and I wont eat headcheese. Dad used to make it all the time and I just cant get over it. Ill eat variety meats, wild meats, oh I wont eat lamb again ick!, veggies and fruits. I dont care a whole lot for fruits but I do tolerate them. And I dont like anything sweet.....marshmellows, sweet cakes, gives me a tummy ache thinking of it, chocolate I can handle in very small
doses......am I picky...im not sure
Nah......your just Selective
Old 09-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Wondering if the term "picky" eater came from people picking off the stuff they don't like, & eating the rest or vice versa. You couldn't keep a chocolate cake in the fridge with my aunt around. She would sneak into the fridge & eat all the chocolate frosting off, leaving a bare ugly cake. In that regard, I'm not "picky."

I like what I like, and am willing to try new things. There are certain foods, where I draw the line. For me, it's mostly about personal preference. Don't want to give a stereotypical (sp?) response here, but "some" of my experience has been that men are not fond of vegetables. Some (not all) are more in favor of meat and potatoes. Men (sorry) mostly rave about their mother's cooking. I think children tend to be picky because they have a limited experience with different kinds of foods - or because it's about power/attention. Could it be that food means a lot of different things to people? Perhaps there's some psychology behind food/eating habits/preferences.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:00 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

I'm not picky, although I do believe that there's no point in eating food you don't absolutely love. It takes effort to prepare a meal, and I try to make it worth it every time. If I try a new recipe and it's nothing special, I won't bother with it again. But I'll use the same ingredients in different dishes...

But I draw the line at asparagus.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:56 AM   #16
Master Chef

Definitely, firmly in the "not" category. Even if I don't like something, I can manage to eat it and be sociable. Perhaps it is my military brat upbringing. Food is an essential part of culture, and if you want to enjoy travel (and I do), you must be able to enjoy the food of the area you are visiting. It is why I could never be a vegan or even a vegetarian in all the other forms. I simply love the experience of cooking and eating. Limiting that when you don't have to strikes me as a shame. Hubby recently was diagnosed with diabetes. We're doing OK, but I sure wish we'd have done that trip to Europe before this happened.