"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Are you getting too much water in your canned food???

Consumer Reports test finds only 52-66 percent of canned foods' net weight is actual food, rest is water | abc13.com

Old 12-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

The only canned good where this isn't so much, is cream style corn. I sometimes buy canned veggies to make a salad with HV cressing. I keep the cans in the fridge and open one for a quick healthy snack. But I think I am going to be switching to frozen. It only takes a coule of seconds to steam them and then freeze them for later snacking. Come to think of it, they are going on my next grocery list. No more canned goods. If everyone stopped buying the cans, the companies would change back quickly. I noticed also that the tuna packet I bought last month was wetter than usual.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Tuna .. that has become such a huge rip-off. Used to be 6+ oz can. Now it's only 5 oz .. drain the liquid and weigh what's left ... 3 oz !!!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Tuna .. that has become such a huge rip-off. Used to be 6+ oz can. Now it's only 5 oz .. drain the liquid and weigh what's left ... 3 oz !!!
Just barely enough for one sandwich. That is why I changed over to the packets. Mostly tuna with a miniscule amount of water. And now that is changing also. I found that the last packet I bought, the tuna was wetter than usual. I had to press it dry. Before it was just damp enough to use as it came out of the packet.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If I got tuna without much water, Shreddy would be very disappointed. His favourite part is the tuna water.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That's the only part my cats will touch, they scream up a good game when it's opened and then shun it. They will lap up the tuna water, though.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Just barely enough for one sandwich. That is why I changed over to the packets. Mostly tuna with a miniscule amount of water. And now that is changing also. I found that the last packet I bought, the tuna was wetter than usual. I had to press it dry. Before it was just damp enough to use as it came out of the packet.
Not quite the same thing, but when I was making fudge (using the Kraft Fantasy Fudge recipe I've used for years), I had to figure out quantities because the amounts in the jar of marshmallow cream, bag of chips (used to be 12 oz, now 10 oz), and can of evap. milk have changed. I've encountered the same with other recipes I have that use certain things. Most annoying.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The only canned good where this isn't so much, is cream style corn. I sometimes buy canned veggies to make a salad with HV cressing. I keep the cans in the fridge and open one for a quick healthy snack. But I think I am going to be switching to frozen. It only takes a coule of seconds to steam them and then freeze them for later snacking. Come to think of it, they are going on my next grocery list. No more canned goods. If everyone stopped buying the cans, the companies would change back quickly. I noticed also that the tuna packet I bought last month was wetter than usual.
Addie--you probably will cut down on sodium by switching to frozen. I don't buy canned veggies, but the amount of sodium in canned soups is horrible. The difference re: the amount of sodium in canned tomatoes and sauce made from fresh or frozen tomatoes is unbelievable.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Addie--you probably will cut down on sodium by switching to frozen. I don't buy canned veggies, but the amount of sodium in canned soups is horrible. The difference re: the amount of sodium in canned tomatoes and sauce made from fresh or frozen tomatoes is unbelievable.
Many canned soups and veggies are available in low-sodium versions - they are here, anyway.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Master Chef

We must just be lucky in SA. Not much liquid in our canned foods.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, water