"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Will you watch the new FOX Show Hells Kitchen...
Yes 9 32.14%
No 11 39.29%
Not Sure. 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2005, 12:17 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

I watched it too. He may be an awesome chef, but he is certainly a Certified Executive Swearer. Half the dialogue was bleeped. Are we to fear/respect him because of this? Not this kid.

So much for another "reality" show. Demographically correct cast of nobodies, willing to endure humiliation on TV for their 15 minutes (or is it seconds now?) of fame, carefully orchestrated by the network and complete with commercial tie-ins. Snore...

Old 05-31-2005, 04:19 PM   #32
Head Chef

Bucky, unfortunately not enough to experience that kind of euphoria

On a side note, the kitchen on that show looks really nice. I do wonder if I could endure all the name calling and negative comments. I don't mind the swearing though, since I myself have been known to know more swear words than a lumberjack.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:25 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Swearing per se doesn't bother me either, htc (I can do it in several languages.)

It's just his shtick, IMO, and it's pretty annoying to watch someone who is a "pro" use such sophomoronic (just made that one up) tactics to get people to pay attention to him.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #34
Executive Chef

If it is Gordon Ramsay then he IS 'all that'! I've eaten in a couple of his restaurants in London (more than once) and his food is superb.

Swearing is an integral part of the kitchen brigade's lifestyle in the UK and France (don't know about Italy!). It is a tough training, but produces wonderful chefs! And no, I do not swear, don't even like little swear words...

Ramsay has produced many cookbooks and is also has a food column in The Times newspaper http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,4382,00.html

I forgive him a lot of things because of his sublime cooking!

Here's a review on his latest restaurant..... so handy for Harrod's! I hope to eat there next time I'm down in London on business
http://www.london-eating.co.uk/17.htm
Old 05-31-2005, 05:43 PM   #35
Master Chef

It is Gordon Ramsey that does the show.
If he is that good of a chef, then good for him may he prosper long.
{but, a jerk is still a jerk} Most people wouldn't put up with his mouth no matter how good he is, he's NOT god.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:08 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Ah, but in real life his brigade DO stick with him and are loyal to a man (and woman!) In fact, one of his best trainees, a woman, has become head chef at his restaurant at the Connaught Hotel in London. She appeared on one of his ****'s Kitchen programmes over here - I think it was one they did with celebrities (minor ones, only...!) Any chef that trains with him inevitably goes on to bigger and better things here and in France.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:11 PM   #37
Executive Chef

I will give this show a minor thumbs up.

I liked the idea of each person creating a signature dish as the first thing they did on the show. He certainly had some colorful words to describe some of those dishes.

I did not like that they had LESS than one day to get down 15 different recipes before they opened the new restaurant. Good Idea for the show I guess. That never happened in the real world when chef like Bobby Flay opened his las Vegas restaurant.

That certainly killed the quality of the food though, the main reason why Gordon had people do dishes over, easily why people left the place without eating food, any why the restaurant closed early.

I think he can easily be worse than Donald Trump because Gordon is around you more than the Donald is.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:53 PM   #38
Master Chef

Well, then I'll just say this then. Over there, ya'll must have a mild temperment to be able to put up with him, kudos to you.
Over here in Texas,lol, he wouldn't last long.
Some of the guys here would rope him like a cow.
If he has gotten as far as he has with the attitude and hard mouth,and still has the followers ready and eager to learn from him, then he must be good.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:17 PM   #39
Head Chef

After seeing a little of his show and hearinig Ishbel's comments on his food, I would love to try one of his restaurants, if I ever get the chance to.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:17 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The head chef in the kitchen I worked in was similar but not quite (I never got a plate of food squashed on my chest and he never made personal attacks (well, almost). When he saw I kept my cool and asked questions after he made some snotty remarks to me he very kindly answered them and then gradually left me alone - I learned A LOT from him!!!! I left work in tears but he didn't see them. When he left he actually said that he learned some things from me and I helped him remember things he had forgotten.

I learned so much from this man that if he had been any different I wouldn't have.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote