Are you into the survival thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good place to keep cash is in the freezer in a container labeled liver. Nobody would steal liver, and if the house burned down it wouldn't burn.

After reading Casey's post..forget my idea linda. lol

Haha, actually, no, it's a very good idea. I've got it in a safe place ;)

I do have a bunch of stuff that are considered survival gear since I backpack and camp alot. I would say I'm semi-prepared in the event of a disaster.

But like in the movies, if a zombie apocalypse were to happen you need to be well armed as well...

Got 'em both covered, plus some, although I'm no where near a true "prepper".

I've always kept my camping, fishing, and hunting stuff well organized. Pretty much ready to go as we walk out the door.

I also live on top of a mountain (we could survive a 1000 foot tsunami), with 2 potable streams within a half mile. One North of me, one South of me; both within thousands of acres of a wildlife preserve. But we always keep water and firewood in the garage, a split cord out back, and extra propane for the grill in the shed.

I have the high ground by 20 feet or more down to the road in front of my house, and a stone breastworks out back with a rocky depression in front of that.

I'm a little exposed on the flanks, though, lol. But there's attic windows on those sides, so...

Lol,, when I first told someone all of that in front of my wife, she asked me if that really was part of my reasoning of why we bought this house. She just loved the way it looked.

I figured it couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Got 'em both covered, plus some, although I'm no where near a true "prepper".

I've always kept my camping, fishing, and hunting stuff well organized. Pretty much ready to go as we walk out the door.

I also live on top of a mountain (we could survive a 1000 foot tsunami), with 2 potable streams within a half mile. On North of me, one South of me; both within thousands of acres of a wildlife preserve. But we always keep water and firewood in the garage, a split cord out back, and extra propane for the grill in the shed.

I have the high ground by 20 feet or more down to the road in front of my house, and a stone breastworks out back with a rocky depression in front of that.

I'm a little exposed on the flanks, though, lol. But there's attic windows on those sides, so...

Lol,, when I first told someone all of that in front of my wife, she asked me if that really was part of my reasoning of why we bought this house. She just loved the way it looked.

I figured it couldn't hurt.

Oooooooooo, perfect situation for sniping zombies. I'd have way too much fun with that :LOL:

Being an outdoors, camping was always done when kids were young. We would be OK here for a week or two. I bought a gen set after the earthquakes here. 3 freezers full. Think I'd have trouble with neighbours wanting food though.?

Russ

Being an outdoors, camping was always done when kids were young. We would be OK here for a week or two. I bought a gen set after the earthquakes here. 3 freezers full. Think I'd have trouble with neighbours wanting food though.?

Russ

Kinda like that one episode of Twilight Zone? Yeah, something like that would scare me and worry me a bit. I'd be worried about them coming to my door, not only wanting inside for shelter, but asking me to store their food. I would hate to say no, but would probably have to. I'd politely tell them, "Look, I'm sorry, but I just don't have the room for anymore food."

Because if you give just one person the green light, the others may want the same.

We do these things to protect ourselves and our own families. It's not up to us to take care of everyone else as well. There's nothing wrong with helping your fellow man, but we're not superheroes.

Zombies aren't fiction. We live amongst them every day. They look like real humans, but they walk and even drive with their faces stuck in electronic devices. In fact, I almost hit a couple of people with my car that walked out in front of me whilst texting.

Around here we call them The Digital Deadwalkers.

That's about as close to a zombie as you can get :LOL:

:LOL::ROFLMAO: Isn't that the truth?!

:LOL::ROFLMAO: Isn't that the truth?!

You'd really think that people would have learned by now how dangerous it is to do things like that. But they haven't.

Speaking of bad weather and possibly losing power, the winter storm is moving in now and it's raining ice. Then we're supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow on top of that. The snow I don't mind. In fact I love snow. But the ice worries me because it weighs on the power lines.

:(

Like others have said, I'm sort of prepared. I have a good amount of canned and pantry goods, can opener, plastic flatware, quite a lot of bottled water, cash, and usually close to a full tank in my car.

Even though I'm in an earthquake state, I think I've gotten kind of complacent about natural disasters out here. :ermm: I'm in the flatland in the middle of nowhere, no tall buildings around, have lived here most of my life, and the worst we get are desert 'floods' which aren't really that bad.

There are minor earthquakes here every day, but if a big one were to hit and destroy the two highways heading in and out of town, we'd be in trouble as far as food deliveries to the grocery stores.

Once in a while the power goes out, but not for very long.

Definitely something to re-think every now and then, though. Good thread, Linda. :)

Oh, an afterthought.....I also have one of those big plastic totes in my trunk of my car that has water, dried food, TP, blankets, and other things I can't recall right now....

Last edited:
Like others have said, I'm sort of prepared. I have a good amount of canned and pantry goods, can opener, plastic flatware, quite a lot of bottled water, cash, and usually close to a full tank in my car.

Even though I'm in an earthquake state, I think I've gotten kind of complacent about natural disasters out here. :ermm: I'm in the flatland in the middle of nowhere, no tall buildings around, have lived here most of my life, and the worst we get are desert 'floods' which aren't really that bad.

There are minor earthquakes here every day, but if a big one were to hit and destroy the two highways heading in and out of town, we'd be in trouble as far as food deliveries to the grocery stores.

Once in a while the power goes out, but not for very long.

Definitely something to re-think every now and then, though. Good thread, Linda. :)

Thank you. I'm really enjoying it because I like learning what others are doing to prepare for things from major disasters to simple power outages.

About 9 years ago, we had an ice storm that was pretty major. Everything was just covered in ice and our neighborhood lost power for about 3 days. All of us (my son, his dad (rest his soul) myself and our animals) stayed holed up in the back living room by the fireplace to stay warm. We lost most of our food and I had to throw out a lot of stuff once it was all over. But the thing I remember the most is, once the ice storm was said and done, stepping outside. And it was just dead silent. No cars on the road, no furnaces from nearby homes running, not even any birds singing. All I could hear was cracking of the ice, mostly coming from the trees. It was very eerie, like life had come to a standstill.

I'll never forget it as long as I live.

Kinda like that one episode of Twilight Zone? Yeah, something like that would scare me and worry me a bit. I'd be worried about them coming to my door, not only wanting inside for shelter, but asking me to store their food. I would hate to say no, but would probably have to. I'd politely tell them, "Look, I'm sorry, but I just don't have the room for anymore food."

Because if you give just one person the green light, the others may want the same.

We do these things to protect ourselves and our own families. It's not up to us to take care of everyone else as well. There's nothing wrong with helping your fellow man, but we're not superheroes.

Yeah, that's the scary thing...in a horrific disaster, I'd be afraid of some folks using the 'desperate times call for desperate measures' thing...:(

Yeah, that's the scary thing...in a horrific disaster, I'd be afraid of some folks using the 'desperate times call for desperate measures' thing...:(

I know. And it would be very difficult to have to turn anyone away. But even though many people don't think about the consequences of disaster until it actually happens, they probably should have. And no one who has planned for disaster should feel guilty of simply wanting to protect their own families.

To use an overused 'cliche', it is what it is.

Way back when I was young and the earth was cooling, I was into wilderness camping. I would sling on a backpack, and go wandering into the woods with my dog. I learned a lot from that. Most of all, I learned just how little a person needs to survive.

You learn that the first time you carry sixty f--ing pounds on your back. The next trip, it's 40 pounds, and it just keeps getting smaller.

I am not an armageddon, end times, whatever kind of person. But, it does make sense to be prepared for a few days of inconvenience -- like my parents who live in hurricane country.

The most important thing you need is clean drinking water. I had a state-of-the-art filter back in my backpacking days. My parents have gallon jugs of water stashed in closets and cabinets during hurricane season. Thats the low-hanging fruit of survival prep. Drinking water.

I live in Tornado Alley. If a tornado hits my house, it won't matter how much stuff I have stored away, because all that stuff will be scattered across two counties. I have my shelter, and if I need to go to that shelter, my wallet, with credit cards, will be in my pocket. I figure a wallet full of credit cards will get me through a few days in a hotel.

CD

Way back when I was young and the earth was cooling, I was into wilderness camping. I would sling on a backpack, and go wandering into the woods with my dog. I learned a lot from that. Most of all, I learned just how little a person needs to survive.

You learn that the first time you carry sixty f--ing pounds on your back. The next trip, it's 40 pounds, and it just keeps getting smaller.

I am not an armageddon, end times, whatever kind of person. But, it does make sense to be prepared for a few days of inconvenience -- like my parents who live in hurricane country.

The most important thing you need is clean drinking water. I had a state-of-the-art filter back in my backpacking days. My parents have gallon jugs of water stashed in closets and cabinets during hurricane season. Thats the low-hanging fruit of survival prep. Drinking water.

I live in Tornado Alley. If a tornado hits my house, it won't matter how much stuff I have stored away, because all that stuff will be scattered across two counties. I have my shelter, and if I need to go to that shelter, my wallet, with credit cards, will be in my pocket. I figure a wallet full of credit cards will get me through a few days in a hotel.

CD

Very good points, CD, all the way around.

By the way, I've been meaning to mention, since your username is caseydog, that my miniature Dachshunds name is Casey. I don't know if Casey is your name or your dog's name, but just thought I'd mention that :)

Back
Top Bottom