Are you into the survival thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Way back when I was young and the earth was cooling, I was into wilderness camping. I would sling on a backpack, and go wandering into the woods with my dog. I learned a lot from that. Most of all, I learned just how little a person needs to survive.

You learn that the first time you carry sixty f--ing pounds on your back. The next trip, it's 40 pounds, and it just keeps getting smaller.

I am not an armageddon, end times, whatever kind of person. But, it does make sense to be prepared for a few days of inconvenience -- like my parents who live in hurricane country.

The most important thing you need is clean drinking water. I had a state-of-the-art filter back in my backpacking days. My parents have gallon jugs of water stashed in closets and cabinets during hurricane season. Thats the low-hanging fruit of survival prep. Drinking water.

I live in Tornado Alley. If a tornado hits my house, it won't matter how much stuff I have stored away, because all that stuff will be scattered across two counties. I have my shelter, and if I need to go to that shelter, my wallet, with credit cards, will be in my pocket. I figure a wallet full of credit cards will get me through a few days in a hotel.

CD

But not if the machines are down in the hotels and they can't run the credit cards, though....

I know. And it would be very difficult to have to turn anyone away. But even though many people don't think about the consequences of disaster until it actually happens, they probably should have. And no one who has planned for disaster should feel guilty of simply wanting to protect their own families.

To use an overused 'cliche', it is what it is.

Chill out, people. We live in the United States. Yes, bad s--t happens, but bad s--t in the US is a walk in the park compared to bad s--t in a third-world country.

I've survived an F5 tornado (Google Sayler Park Tornado). People become amazingly caring and helpful in those kinds of events. People came out of their basements, and ran to the leveled homes looking for people -- people they had never met.

After Harvey, people drove from three states away with boats to rescue people from their rooftops. Need more? Look at what people did on 9-11. New Yorkers!!! Supposedly the least caring people on the planet -- but on 9-11, even New Yorkers proved that wrong.

Please, be careful what you CHOOSE to believe. People, by nature, want to do good. That is how we are wired. Have a little faith.

Okay, rant off. Have a nice day.

CD

We can manage in an emergency. If not, we'll be OK after we crack this supply box open...
IMG_20190119_225837197.jpg

Chill out, people. We live in the United States. Yes, bad s--t happens, but bad s--t in the US is a walk in the park compared to bad s--t in a third-world country.

I've survived an F5 tornado (Google Sayler Park Tornado). People become amazingly caring and helpful in those kinds of events. People came out of their basements, and ran to the leveled homes looking for people -- people they had never met.

After Harvey, people drove from three states away with boats to rescue people from their rooftops. Need more? Look at what people did on 9-11. New Yorkers!!! Supposedly the least caring people on the planet -- but on 9-11, even New Yorkers proved that wrong.

Please, be careful what you CHOOSE to believe. People, by nature, want to do good. That is how we are wired. Have a little faith.

CD

:huh:

Sorry... the discussion just seemed to get a bit dark. Turning people away, and that kind of stuff.

Hey, look at this!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZSe6N_BXs

CD :)

I simply meant that, in a crisis situation, if you've got 50 people at your door because they know you're more prepared than they are, it's not going to be possible to take care of many more than what you've planned for, i.e. your own family. I didn't mean to imply I would enjoy turning people away, but that I may have to in order to keep my own family protected.

CD

This is really true, we had bad earthquakes in 2010, the liquefaction was unbelievable in some areas. My daughter lost her house so I moved her. While loading her stuff a group of guys came down the street shovelling the mud stuff into piles to be removed, so people could use their driveways. A group came to my daughters house and one of the guys was a guy I coached in sport. He said his home was ok, but knew others weren't. He rang 6 of his mates to help other people. I was astounded. I couldn't lift anything due to an injury, but my wife and I made dozens of loaves of bread into sammiches and delivered them to groups clearing up after quakes. You just do,what you can, if you have any empathy.

Russ

On the other hand, there are also bad folks who take advantage of disasters like looters for just one example. That's not being cynical, only realistic. I believe most people are just like we are but there are those who aren't. Personally, I've never had the need to protect myself but the day may come. Jes sayin.

On the other hand, there are also bad folks who take advantage of disasters like looters for just one example. That's not being cynical, only realistic. I believe most people are just like we are but there are those who aren't. Personally, I've never had the need to protect myself but the day may come. Jes sayin.

During the L.A. riots in 1992 I had 3 small business locations to protect. There were looting and property damage at shopping centers and strip malls where my businesses were located. They completely looted the Sears store across the street from one of my shops. Police and Fire were outnumbered until they brought in the National Guards 3 days too late.
Fortunately my shops sustained very little damage but I was prepared to defend my business, I even spent 2 nights at one location, fully armed. Other business owners did the same. Being in the middle of it that whole riot thing seemed so surreal.

Last edited:
During the L.A. riots in 1992 I had 3 small business locations to protect. There were looting and property damage at shopping centers and strip malls where my businesses were located. They completely looted the Sears store across the street from one of my shops. Police and Fire were outnumbered until they brought in the National Guards 3 days too late.
Fortunately my shops sustained very little damage but I was prepared to defend my business, I even spent 2 nights at one location, fully armed. Being in the middle of it that whole riot thing seemed so surreal.

While I was typing I was thinking of the L.A. riots Roadfix. Gosh you have first hand knowledge of how bad it can really get.
I also remember the Watt's riots of 1965. Horrible times.

Last edited:
While I was joking about machine guns, I wasn't really referring to zombie in the larger sense.

Food is good, water is essential. But you have be able to hide and/or protect it.

Lots of folks store gold, ammo, and alcohol as commodities if that day comes.

Like NY, the majority of our city has underground wiring. What few poles there are with wires are usually in someone's back yard. If any trees or poles with wires come down, it is usually the ice that does the damage. The biggest worry in this part of the country is that the triple deckers are so close together. We had some horrific fires last week. During the night and folks standing outside wrapped in blankets. A sight no one should have to see or live through.

On the rare occasion that a hurricane might reach us, the only way everyone prepares, is to head for Market Basket. On the news the other night, Market basket had lines in every checkout going up the aisles well after their closing time of 10 p.m..

We could survive pretty easily for a couple months. After that it would start getting rough. If whatever happened happens early in the year and we could plant a larger garden that would help. We could easily grow enough for all of us. I have chickens, ducks, geese 2 sheep and a goat for eggs and meat. We also raise a couple hundred head of cattle.
One of our draw backs are all the generators rely on diesel or gas. That will run out sooner or later. We would have to only run them for fore a few hours a day. The owner here won't even listen to any suggestions about adding solar power.
The other drawback is this place would be hard to defend. We could easily be over run by a small group of well armed people. The owner here hates guns. We are pretty much defenceless.
If we needed to get out in a hurry that would be no problem. I keep my vehicles in good repair and generally full of fuel. I built a semi truck to pull my camper. Holds 200 gallons of fuel. Has an on board generator with 50 gallon gas tank. It burns a gallon an hour.
Being in the middle of the country we could just about make it to either coast without needing fuel. I averaged 9.5 mpg. Should have a range of 1800 miles. Probably More realisticly 1500 with idle time and taking back roads. If we had an hour to pack up we could be well stocked on the camper. However I think if we REALLY had to we could do it in half hour or less and have most essentials. If I had the hour I could pack up extra fuel and even grab some of my birds.
My wife would likely follow in my pickup. It has a range of 300-400 miles. Being able to carry even more supplies. I have CB radios installed in both vehicles so we can keep in contact. I have an actual paper atlas. I am a country boy. I am not afraid to cut across on gravel and secondary roads. The interstate will be packed.
We have plenty of home canned goods and the ability to can more. I have plenty of supplies on hand and tons of jars. If we were to "bug in" I believe one of the first things I would do is start cleaning out the freezers and get to canning. Reducing the need for electricity.

My big ole bug out vehicle.IMG_20180605_143858.jpg

Worse than looters are the "roofers" who show up every spring when we have hail storms. They replace your shingles in half a day, and the roof leaks for 20 years. The insurance companies don't care -- they just want the job done cheap.

People love to hate the "looters" they see on FAUXnews, but the criminals who work for the insurance companies get fat and happy with no consequences.

CD

I am a person who strongly believes in the innate goodness of people. These past two or three weeks, we have been having some horrendous fires. In the middle of the cold nights, people are finding themselves with their small children standing across the street watching their whole world go up in flames and smoke. The hardest part to swallow was that these fires were all during the late night when the families were sleeping.

Yet before the flames were finally quenched, funds were already being raised to help some of the 30 plus families affected. We are a very caring nation. I wouldn't want it any other way. And for that I always say a silent prayer for the safety and well being of everyone. Including the fire fighters.

I am so glad I live in this country. I know in my heart that should any disaster enter my world, there are friends and total strangers out there who will lend me a hand and help me get back on my "foot." I also know that my family will close ranks and help each other as much as they all can.

Am I prepared for survival? Probably not. But neither are any of my friends. I refuse to be a pessimist. Nor do I want to be around those who are pessimistic. This morning it was zero. Now the temp has climbed up and the sun is shining. What is there to be pessimistic about?

We could survive pretty easily for a couple months. After that it would start getting rough. If whatever happened happens early in the year and we could plant a larger garden that would help. We could easily grow enough for all of us. I have chickens, ducks, geese 2 sheep and a goat for eggs and meat. We also raise a couple hundred head of cattle.
One of our draw backs are all the generators rely on diesel or gas. That will run out sooner or later. We would have to only run them for fore a few hours a day. The owner here won't even listen to any suggestions about adding solar power.
The other drawback is this place would be hard to defend. We could easily be over run by a small group of well armed people. The owner here hates guns. We are pretty much defenceless.
If we needed to get out in a hurry that would be no problem. I keep my vehicles in good repair and generally full of fuel. I built a semi truck to pull my camper. Holds 200 gallons of fuel. Has an on board generator with 50 gallon gas tank. It burns a gallon an hour.
Being in the middle of the country we could just about make it to either coast without needing fuel. I averaged 9.5 mpg. Should have a range of 1800 miles. Probably More realisticly 1500 with idle time and taking back roads. If we had an hour to pack up we could be well stocked on the camper. However I think if we REALLY had to we could do it in half hour or less and have most essentials. If I had the hour I could pack up extra fuel and even grab some of my birds.
My wife would likely follow in my pickup. It has a range of 300-400 miles. Being able to carry even more supplies. I have CB radios installed in both vehicles so we can keep in contact. I have an actual paper atlas. I am a country boy. I am not afraid to cut across on gravel and secondary roads. The interstate will be packed.
We have plenty of home canned goods and the ability to can more. I have plenty of supplies on hand and tons of jars. If we were to "bug in" I believe one of the first things I would do is start cleaning out the freezers and get to canning. Reducing the need for electricity.

My big ole bug out vehicle.View attachment 33202

Wow, that's really something. Very impressive!

Back
Top Bottom