Are you into the survival thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ham Radio operators are some of the most reliable and prepared people you will ever meet. I work with about 7 or 8 of them who have been bugging me for years to join in and get a setup. I don't have the time.
But, there's a Ham Radio club in my building, and they have a shack on the roof. Maybe someday. At least for now I know my Dits and Dahs (Morse Code).

We have a nice set of walkies... somewhere :ermm:

That's why everyone should arrange a spot in their garage, shed, or closet somewhere to collect all of the stuff you need when you need it most. It doesn't have to be some spectacular thing, or special purpose stuff.

As I've mentioned in a few posts, I've made it a habit since i was a Boy Scout to keep all of my backpacking, camping, fishing, hunting, and canoeing stuff on one or two one tall shelves in the garage. (Plus a corner for all of the rods and tackle).

I never planned it to be something that would be a good idea. It just made sense to have stuff organized for when you want to have fun but don't have a lot of time.

We have FRS radios in my skiing stuff, which is the next shelf over from the other that's I'd mentioned. lol.

That's why everyone should arrange a spot in their garage, shed, or closet somewhere to collect all of the stuff you need when you need it most. It doesn't have to be some spectacular thing, or special purpose stuff.

A fairly tall mast antenna is needed for ham radio. I had enough problem picking up shortwave radio stations with my Sony bookshelf audio system way back that included short wave reception. I liked that cool feature. Shortwave and ham radio may someday be vital if and when the big big big one happens.

Last edited:
I realize that - it's just part of the discussion. I've already accepted that if there's a truly catastrophic disaster, I won't last very long. It's sort of top of mind right now - I just finished a really good book about an epidemic that wipes out at least half of the world's population. Internet and reliable medical infrastructure are among the first to go.

Nora Roberts, Year One?

It's shocking that one Xarelto works about to about $15 a day. It would be worth it to buy enough for a few days. If my heart can take it, maybe I'll work out an out of pocket expense for my remaining six prescriptions assuming the pharmacy will sell me less than a month's supply.

Eliquis is over $800 for a month. I wish all medications were off their brand name and into generics.

You can use auxillary battery packs or your car battery.
But I'm sure most folks into amateur radio have everything needed to operate their equipment during emergencies.
In the scenario I was describing in the book, there's no grid at all. After a while, batteries run down and need some new source of energy.

I have a little understanding of how ham radios work. Many years ago, I belonged to a computer user group that was started by a group of engineers at the local GE plant. Some of them were into it and it was a topic of a couple of our monthly meetings. We did a field trip once to someone's house who had a 30-foot or so antenna in his back yard.

One time, when my husband was deployed with the Navy, a ham radio operator called me and arranged a call with him from his ship. That was pretty cool.

Steam power, baby!

More realisticaly, though, I need to look into a wood gasifier. I certainly have enough wood stockpiled from when we cleared the backyard.

Ham Radio operators are some of the most reliable and prepared people you will ever meet. I work with about 7 or 8 of them who have been bugging me for years to join in and get a setup. I don't have the time.
But, there's a Ham Radio club in my building, and they have a shack on the roof. Maybe someday. At least for now I know my Dits and Dahs (Morse Code).

As I've mentioned in a few posts, I've made it a habit since i was a Boy Scout to keep all of my backpacking, camping, fishing, hunting, and canoeing stuff on one or two one tall shelves in the garage. (Plus a corner for all of the rods and tackle).

I never planned it to be something that would be a good idea. It just made sense to have stuff organized for when you want to have fun but don't have a lot of time.

We have FRS radios in my skiing stuff, which is the next shelf over from the other that's I'd mentioned. lol.

Agreed. Good idea keeping all of your stuff in one place. I should probably look for those walkies and put them in the storage room with other "preparedness stuff", just in case.

Right now, however, we're dealing with the coldest air to hit us in "decades", they say. I can't even let my dogs out because their little legs (I have Dachshunds) freeze up within seconds. So it's potty pad time today. They're pretty good about using them. It's way too cold out there for them right now and if they would insist upon going out, I'm going with them. I have to keep a special eye on my mini Dachsie, Casey, because his tiny little legs freeze up so badly that he can't walk and, therefore, can't make it back to the house.

Schools and even some businesses (including ours) are closed today and the wind chill is supposed to be something like -40. I haven't been outside yet, but I'm gonna be going out eventually because I want to start the Honda and the Mustang and let them run for a bit.

Eliquis is over $800 for a month. I wish all medications were off their brand name and into generics.

I have psoriasis. A new ointment came out and my medical plan was willing to pay for it. One day the pharmacy didn't quite put the label on the right side. $500 plus for just one tube. I go through two tubes a month. It is now generic. I get the same ointment, but in a stronger strength. 0.001 to 0.1.

I don't know one person who can afford the price of name brand medication. You would think the pharmaceutical companies would realize this. Potential sales lost.

...I can't even let my dogs out because their little legs (I have Dachshunds) freeze up within seconds...
Saw this and thought of your post immediately.

Screenshot_20190130-142922.jpg

Back
Top Bottom