Are you smarter than a 2nd grader?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, I told my manager he was pusillanimous (a word I learned at a very young age). He was not offended, he had no idea what it meant.:ohmy:

Lucky he didn't decide to get brave and find the dictionary for THAT word! I love your stories blissful. You described so clearly for me what I felt as a kid the day I realized I could READ! I owned the world! I've never lost that moment.

I love your stories blissful. You described so clearly for me what I felt as a kid the day I realized I could READ! I owned the world! I've never lost that moment.

Thanks Alix........it's cool to own the world isn't it? WE OWN THE WORLD of WORDS!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was taught to read with a Dictionary and access to a set of Encyclopedias, it was my job to look things up. I was given assist if I still needed it AFTER. I remember looking up words that would take me 45 minutes to understand, because I had to look up more words in the definitions.

I was taught to read with a Dictionary and access to a set of Encyclopedias, it was my job to look things up. I was given assist if I still needed it AFTER. I remember looking up words that would take me 45 minutes to understand, because I had to look up more words in the definitions.

L. Ron Hubbard the creator of Scientology/Dianetics was very emphatic about the use of a dictionary to "clear words" as he called it. He encouraged everyone to have a dictionary at hand when reading or studying. It makes sense, even if you do not agree with some his other views.

Very clever, but not a palindrome. I actually like it better than a palindrome. It took some thought to write and arrange sentences to have opposite meanings read in reverse order.

lol, whiska.

one of the things that i really liked about the book was that the main character is repeatedly told to use a dictionary to help him discover the 4 words.

i was pleasantly surprised when my son asked for his own dictionary after reading it.

btw, the book is called "punished" by david lubar, in case anyone's interested.

Last edited:
lol, whiska.

one of the things that i really liked about the book was that the main character is repeatedly told to use a dictionary to help him discover the 4 words.

i was pleasently surprised when my son asked for his own dictionary after reading it.

btw, the book is call "punished" by david lubar, in case anyone's interested.

Did he get his own Dictionary? Did he get to pick it out?

not yet. we're going skating with the cub scouts tomorrow, then off to pick up his skis from the shop, so we'll look for a book store in town near the ski shop.

can you recommend one, especially if it's kid oriented?

not yet. we're going skating with the cub scouts tomorrow, then off to pick up his skis from the shop, so we'll look for a book store in town near the ski shop.

can you recommend one, especially if it's kid oriented?

There are so many, I haven't looked for a kids Dictionary for a long time and am not sure what is out there. I am fond of Merriam Webster, here is an Elementary Dictionary. I like the looks of it, make sure to take a look inside.
Amazon.com: Merriam-Webster's Elementary Dictionary (9780877796756): Merriam-Webster: Books

thank you.

i'll look for some to suggest, but i think he wants some big, scary, gothic looking tome. :)

afterall, it is THE dictionary.

thank you.

i'll look for some to suggest, but i think he wants some big, scary, gothic looking tome. :)

afterall, it is THE dictionary.

LOL! At least it will last him a lifetime! Make sure the one you buy has his new words in it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom