"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Are you smarter than a 2nd grader?

my son was given a book report to do on a story that taught the meaning of 4 words: oxymoron, anagram, palindrome, and onomatopoeia.

i remembered three of them, but i wondered if this was 2nd grade material.

did the teacher make a mistake and give him a 5th grade book? is she testing him to see what he can do without discussing it with us?

he finished his book report, doing a really good job on it. it took a lot of work with him between dw and i, but when he finally read the whole 120 page book by himself, he ended up getting all of the concepts.

we are going to ask the teacher what''s up when we see her next week, but i wondered how many adults would know the definition of those 4 words.

are you smarter than a 2nd grader? or am i nuts?

or both...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Brazil Tom, I suspect the teacher is trying to "stretch" your intelligent son, I also suspect that's what they are payed for.In the UK the term Loco Parentis applies.
Ps what age are 2nd graders.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
Master Chef

The value may be in having them learn to do some research, using the dictionary etc...

I think you and the DW should begin using these words in everyday conversation with him to increase the size of his smile. Similar to the word on Sesame Street.

Palindrome:

"Go Hang a Salami! I'm a Lasagna Hog!" or racecar

and finally Palin-drome

Wasilla’s all I saw
Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

7 years old.

he's still my little boy. believes in santa claus, sits on my lap when he's scared or insecure around strangers, asks questions about everything.

if the teacher wanted to challenge him, she should have consulted with us.

i don't know. was it a mistake? is it normal education?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
7 years old.

he's still my little boy. believes in santa claus, sits on my lap when he's scared or insecure around strangers, asks questions about everything.

He has another life you can't even imagine!

He commutes to his office everyday and does battle with the mice, sort of a miniature rat race!

Kids always amaze me when they put on their game face!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
my son was given a book report to do on a story that taught the meaning of 4 words: oxymoron, anagram, palindrome, and onomatopoeia.

i remembered three of them, but i wondered if this was 2nd grade material.

did the teacher make a mistake and give him a 5th grade book? is she testing him to see what he can do without discussing it with us?

he finished his book report, doing a really good job on it. it took a lot of work with him between dw and i, but when he finally read the whole 120 page book by himself, he ended up getting all of the concepts.

we are going to ask the teacher what''s up when we see her next week, but i wondered how many adults would know the definition of those 4 words.

are you smarter than a 2nd grader? or am i nuts?

or both...
Quote:
7 years old.

Is he in an accelerated program? Was he struggling with the assignment or did it come easily to him? Is all his work at that level, or was that an unusual assignment? That is a lot more advanced than what my students learned in 2nd grade.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Master Chef

My younger son was always the brightest in the class at that age and got bored easily. The teacher gave him a lot of extra work at higher levels to keep his interest. I found this out when I went to the school and he was reading "A Wrinkle in Time" and the other kids were reading Little Golden books. If he struggled with it and got frustrated, talk with the teacher. If he breezed through, assume you have a smart kid and go with the flow. If you're concerned it is never wrong to contact the teacher. Many have email that you can send a quick message about that assignment and see what she says.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sounds like he did an awesome job, it may be he IS reading at a higher grade level, if so, it's completely acceptable to give him something that engages him. I was reading The Hobbit at 5 years old. In 6th grade, in order to find my reading level, I was given College Age reading comprehension tests, the highest the had, and blew them all away.

Go with it.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

I would guess that is normal these days Bucky. They are teaching kids stuff at such an early age. Rachel was learing about ventricles and different chanbers of the heart back in preschool was she was 3. In first grade they taught her about "subatizing" in math. Neither my wife nor I had any idea what that word was. Our first grader had to teach us.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Everymom

I know them all, but I'm an LA teacher. I think its maybe a bit unusual for a grade 2 student, but I think its pretty cool that he got them all! I also think that's a pretty neat way to integrate some literary terms into a curriculum. He is not likely to forget any of those terms now that he's written a report on them.

I'm glad you were able to help him, and I hope you do go chat with the teacher about him. Its extremely important to keep those lines of communication open. I can't comment on what is de rigueur in the US for teaching but here in Canada, they can give your kids aptitude tests to see if they are eligible for either extra assistance or an accelerated program. Once they HAVE the test results they have to run it past the parents to modify the educational program (Individual Program or IP) for the student.

They tested both my kids in grade 3 for the accelerated program and I was plenty irritated about it. (It means extra money for the school) I fought for 7 years for my kids NOT to have to do any extra work because of their academic coding. I don't think its fair for my kids to do more than the standard because they're smart. They were welcome to choose to do any extra credit things they wished, but it was NOT to be made part of what they were initially graded on. Its only now that they are both in high school that I've been able to relax a bit and let them just run with their programs.