"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

$3.69 a gallon today.... According to an industry insider it's going to $6.99 +++ soon!!! She also predicted it would drop back to the $1.99 range as soon as the Highly successful Wind, Solar, Melting Snowflake, Algae energy gets fully online. Electric cars will probably drive prices to less than a buck!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
$3.69 a gallon today.... According to an industry insider it's going to $6.99 +++ soon!!! She also predicted it would drop back to the $1.99 range as soon as the Highly successful Wind, Solar, Melting Snowflake, Algae energy gets fully online. Electric cars will probably drive prices to less than a buck!!
Don't forget the hydroponic toilets you mentioned in another thread, UB!

Don't remember what I paid today, around $3.70 I think. Have heard our Illinois neighbors in Chicago currently pay the highest in the nation.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Master Chef

In NJ I paid $3.69 a gallon for regular CASH. Some places were higher. If you want to use CREDIT you get raped for ANOTHER 5 to 12 cents a gallon!! This practice SHOULD be against the law!! It is discrimination! NO place else makes you pay more when using your credit card!! There aren't seperate prices on a menu for cash and credit, or at the supermarket. Why should it be legal for the gas station to rob us when we pay for gas with a credit card?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
In NJ I paid $3.69 a gallon for regular CASH. Some places were higher. If you want to use CREDIT you get raped for ANOTHER 5 to 12 cents a gallon!! This practice SHOULD be against the law!! It is discrimination! NO place else makes you pay more when using your credit card!! There aren't seperate prices on a menu for cash and credit, or at the supermarket. Why should it be legal for the gas station to rob us when we pay for gas with a credit card?
Gasoline retailing is very low profit margin. I'm not a market insider nor knowledgeable on the subject but just guessing their profit margin may be 4%-5%, and credit card companies may charge 1%-2% to retailers to redeem charges. For example $4/gallon translates into perhaps 4-8 cents charged to the retailer to have the credit card reimbursed into cash.

I just pay cash. An additional benefit is that your credit card won't be skimmed or shoulder surfed.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Keep your eyes on the business news. There will be reports of oil companies reporting record earnings/profits for the quarter ending in March or June. As surely as day follows night, record profits follow record gas prices.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Keep your eyes on the business news. There will be reports of oil companies reporting record earnings/profits for the quarter ending in March or June. As surely as day follows night, record profits follow record gas prices.
Yeah buddy....and so do State & Federal Tax revenues. What is it now...about 5 or 6 times what the Oil Companies rake in?? Or something like that....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

In upstate NY Monday, it was $4.03/US gal. (3.85 liters).
Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

$3.59 today, we filled up @ $3.23 a week ago. Workdays are 4 miles round trip and the weather is still too dicey to ride my bike. There is a city bus line, but the hours they run do not coincide with my work hours, I would end up waiting an hour for the bus after work and still have to walk 6 blocks to catch it and 4 blocks to get home at the other end.

If I walked home, which I plan on starting soon, it only takes me 45 minutes. But again, the weather is too odd for me to chance walking. Dressing for the weather in the morning, it's too hot for me to walk home and I don't relish carrying my layers home.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

i just filled up at $3.55/gallon on a credit card.

$76 to fill up from nearly empty, and it'll barely last a week if we don't go on any weekend car trips.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Its 1.37 a litre here