Aren't gas prices going crazy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks TL, now I see my mistake. Set up my problem wrong, it's always where I make the mistake.

I figure I'll understand algebra about the time I retire.

I find that it's best to include the units of measure in the calc. That way when they cancel out, if you are left with the right units, you probably set it up right.

I find that it's best to include the units of measure in the calc. That way when they cancel out, if you are left with the right units, you probably set it up right.

I'll remember that for about the next 6 minutes...math is not my forté, but I do keep trying. If the formula had been evident (to me) I would have just been able to plug in the numbers...

I don't mess around at work, I have all my formulas written down AND I have someone check my answer.

At least I tried...
I did too, but Google conversions failed me. I could have converted liters to gallons and pounds to dollars, but unfortunately my brain exploded and got all over the keyboard and screen, so I had to take a break. :D

I'm generally good at numbers but some days I just don't want to do complex calculations.

oops, steve and taxy are right. about $8.24 at $1.59 for the current exchange rate for british sterling.

that's what i get for trying to do math in my head.

:wacko:

btw, the gas station where i filled up just yesterday at $3.59/gallon was at $3.75/gallon today.

Last edited:
Its £1.37 a litre here

At least I tried...

Okay PF, just to show you I have the right stuff:

£1.37/liter * 1.5973 $US/£ * 3.785 liter/galUS = 8.283 $US/galUS

The units on numerators and denominators cancel out except for the final units. All our answers are in the same ballpark depending on the variances in conversion factors.

No wonder all those EU types drive little cars. Driving in the US vs. driving in EU:

my car at $4.25/gal and 17 mpg: 4.25 $/gal * (1/17) gal/mile = $0.25/mile

EU car at 8.29 $/gal and twice the mpg: 8.29 $/gal * (1/34) gal/mile = $0.24/mile

So you can drive a bigger car in US at lower gasoline cost, or drive a small car in EU with double the MPG, and pay about the same cost per mile.

Last edited:
You know, I don't mind having my mistake explained, I acknowledged it several posts back.

What gave you the idea I was explaining your mistake? I was making up for my laziness in not calculating the conversion earlier, and at least demonstrating I can do it if I want.

My post had nothing to do with you beyond responding to your comment implying that I didn't even try. Now I tried.

Last edited:
lol, steve.
i don't mind shifting lefty because the "H" is the same (can you imagine 1st being upper right?), but driving left and passing right goes against my nature and it must be subdued, especially on roundabouts.
i find i start drifting to the right into oncoming traffic on long straightaways when i get really tired after driving several hours in the uk and ireland.

coast to coast in a day can wear you out.

Pfffff no bloody sympathy just a debate about maths:)

I didn't get any bloody sympathy for gas at $1.444/litre ($5.466/ US gallon) and that's this side of the pond.

BTW, I don't pay that. I pay $0.07 more per litre except on Thursdays when it's "only" $0.04 more per litre. That's for 91 AKI octane gas.

What octane and octane rating method is your regular gas? Here in Québec regular is 87 AKI which is approximately 91 RON.

lol, steve.
i don't mind shifting lefty because the "H" is the same (can you imagine 1st being upper right?), but driving left and passing right goes against my nature and it must be subdued, especially on roundabouts.
i find i start drifting to the right into oncoming traffic on long straightaways when i get really tired after driving several hours in the uk and ireland.

coast to coast in a day can wear you out.
BT, I have the opposite problem. I don't find it hard to adapt to driving on the other side of the car and the road. Probably because 1.) I'm a natural lefty, and 2.) I have to make a conscious effort to adapt.

What throws me is when I come back home after a few weeks of British driving and still have an urge to get into my car on the passenger side. :)

Pfffff no bloody sympathy just a debate about maths:)

hold on there, bolas. we have plenty of sympathy for those spending dollars more per gallon of gasoline than we are. the exact amount of sympathy that would be appropriate to assign did get bogged down, however, as we attempted to do the liter to gallon conversion, true enough. but bolas, you are the one who seemed to be quashing the need for our compassion with your talk of $15 dollar per day cigarettes and harleys. make up your mind, mate....:);)

(i do feel for you anyway, bolas, and am glad you're done with those cigs):)

I cried like a baby when they were sold but at least I can keep my lungs:)

Ps I missed your message, I just replied.

DSCF0234.jpg

Picture 227.jpg

I accept the gas prices for what they are. I currently pay about $4.20 in L.A. for regular. I also have other modes of transportation like my bicycles and the local buses that I can use to commute to work.

I am roughly 33 miles one way to my job, which is why I applied today for a job less than 10 miles away. Gas is taking food off the table. Grr! I like to eat.

Back
Top Bottom