Aren't gas prices going crazy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
gas prices are steep and have been escalating at a dizzying rate lately--with no relief in sight, and none expected. since we forum members live in a wide variety of areas in the u.s., canada, europe, australia and a few others, i thought it would be interesting to hear what everybody else is paying at the pumps. also, i'm wondering how many of us have changed our driving habits or modes of transportation because of high gas prices.

here in central virginia, gas costs $3.70 per gallon today....:ohmy:

One of the things we always do when we cross over the border to pick up UPS packages is fill up with gas. Well, we were down on Monday. Gas prices in NY were high and not much lower than here in SE Ontario. To top it off, the gas station where we could get a discount with our loyalty card for groceries was out of regular gas. I am trying to limit my driving into the city to once every 1-2 weeks and do all my errands on one day. This makes for a long day, but limits the number of trips to the City each week. I have put 1000 miles on the Volvo since Feb 27, including the trip from CT to SE Ontario. This is about 1/2 of what I used to drive.

The last I bought was 3.99/gal. I saw a couple places today at 4.059. I have not really made any changes. I only use 5 or 6 gallons a week and all of my driving is for fun, so I am lucky compared to many people. I feel the increase in other areas like the grocery store more than at the pump.

All I can say is I'm glad I don't own a Chevy Suburban anymore. At today's prices it would have cost $150 to fill 'er up. :)

We've made some changes. My wife and I have down-sized vehicles in recent years. She drives a Ford Fusion (39 mpg) and I have a Toyota Yaris (35 mpg). In addition, we both choose to work from home one or more days a week. All said, we typically spend $25 a week on gas between the two cars, which I think is pretty decent.

All I can say is I'm glad I don't own a Chevy Suburban anymore. At today's prices it would have cost $150 to fill 'er up. :)

We've made some changes. My wife and I have down-sized vehicles in recent years. She drives a Ford Fusion (39 mpg) and I have a Toyota Yaris (35 mpg). In addition, we both choose to work from home one or more days a week. All said, we typically spend $25 a week on gas between the two cars, which I think is pretty decent.
With the higher gas prices, I think more companies should be open to people working remotely. I've worked remotely almost exclusively since 1989. I have done this on long-term contracts (up to 4 years) and short-term contracts. It makes sense from a real estate perspective as well. Companies don't need to provide cube space since so many people work on computers, need Internet, phone, and software to attend meetings.

I only wish! Los Angeles gas prices: $4.25-$4.30 and that's the lowest octane at the lowest priced gas stations. Some stations are charging $4.50 and up
Besides worrying that my van would break down between ON and northern MN, one of the reasons I've been taking the train to MN has been that it was cheaper to book a sleeper and the train ticket than it was to drive. Not to mention, more fun!

With the higher gas prices, I think more companies should be open to people working remotely. I've worked remotely almost exclusively since 1989. I have done this on long-term contracts (up to 4 years) and short-term contracts. It makes sense from a real estate perspective as well. Companies don't need to provide cube space since so many people work on computers, need Internet, phone, and software to attend meetings.
Same here. Every job I've taken since 1996, working remotely - at least part time - has been an option. The company I currently work for gave all employees 2-day a week telecommuting privileges a few years ago as a cost saving measure. At the time, it was thought that they would keep it in place for 6-12 months and then revert back to the old policy. It proved to be so popular and cost-effective that they just made it permanent.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I think that I paid $3.77 per gallon last week.

We both have smallish 4 cylinder cars and live pretty close to work, so luckily we aren't noticing too much.

The reason we bought the place that we did, is that it is close to both jobs and close to pretty much everything. We average 6K miles a year on one car and 5k on the other, so we can keep our cars way past their payments. If we had bought a bigger place on the outskirts of town for the same money, we would be replacing the cars every 5-6 years and our gas costs would be more than double.

We are paying around $170-180 per month at current prices to keep both cars going.

$3.69 a gallon today.... According to an industry insider it's going to $6.99 +++ soon!!! She also predicted it would drop back to the $1.99 range as soon as the Highly successful Wind, Solar, Melting Snowflake, Algae energy gets fully online. Electric cars will probably drive prices to less than a buck!!

Uncle Bob said:
$3.69 a gallon today.... According to an industry insider it's going to $6.99 +++ soon!!! She also predicted it would drop back to the $1.99 range as soon as the Highly successful Wind, Solar, Melting Snowflake, Algae energy gets fully online. Electric cars will probably drive prices to less than a buck!!

Don't forget the hydroponic toilets you mentioned in another thread, UB!

Don't remember what I paid today, around $3.70 I think. Have heard our Illinois neighbors in Chicago currently pay the highest in the nation.

Last edited:
In NJ I paid $3.69 a gallon for regular CASH. Some places were higher. If you want to use CREDIT you get raped for ANOTHER 5 to 12 cents a gallon!! This practice SHOULD be against the law!! It is discrimination! NO place else makes you pay more when using your credit card!! There aren't seperate prices on a menu for cash and credit, or at the supermarket. Why should it be legal for the gas station to rob us when we pay for gas with a credit card?

In NJ I paid $3.69 a gallon for regular CASH. Some places were higher. If you want to use CREDIT you get raped for ANOTHER 5 to 12 cents a gallon!! This practice SHOULD be against the law!! It is discrimination! NO place else makes you pay more when using your credit card!! There aren't seperate prices on a menu for cash and credit, or at the supermarket. Why should it be legal for the gas station to rob us when we pay for gas with a credit card?
Gasoline retailing is very low profit margin. I'm not a market insider nor knowledgeable on the subject but just guessing their profit margin may be 4%-5%, and credit card companies may charge 1%-2% to retailers to redeem charges. For example $4/gallon translates into perhaps 4-8 cents charged to the retailer to have the credit card reimbursed into cash.

I just pay cash. An additional benefit is that your credit card won't be skimmed or shoulder surfed.

Keep your eyes on the business news. There will be reports of oil companies reporting record earnings/profits for the quarter ending in March or June. As surely as day follows night, record profits follow record gas prices.

Keep your eyes on the business news. There will be reports of oil companies reporting record earnings/profits for the quarter ending in March or June. As surely as day follows night, record profits follow record gas prices.

Yeah buddy....and so do State & Federal Tax revenues. What is it now...about 5 or 6 times what the Oil Companies rake in?? Or something like that....

$3.59 today, we filled up @ $3.23 a week ago. Workdays are 4 miles round trip and the weather is still too dicey to ride my bike. There is a city bus line, but the hours they run do not coincide with my work hours, I would end up waiting an hour for the bus after work and still have to walk 6 blocks to catch it and 4 blocks to get home at the other end.

If I walked home, which I plan on starting soon, it only takes me 45 minutes. But again, the weather is too odd for me to chance walking. Dressing for the weather in the morning, it's too hot for me to walk home and I don't relish carrying my layers home.

i just filled up at $3.55/gallon on a credit card.

$76 to fill up from nearly empty, and it'll barely last a week if we don't go on any weekend car trips.

Back
Top Bottom