"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Aren't gas prices going crazy?

gas prices are steep and have been escalating at a dizzying rate lately--with no relief in sight, and none expected. since we forum members live in a wide variety of areas in the u.s., canada, europe, australia and a few others, i thought it would be interesting to hear what everybody else is paying at the pumps. also, i'm wondering how many of us have changed our driving habits or modes of transportation because of high gas prices.

here in central virginia, gas costs $3.70 per gallon today....

Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

One of the things we always do when we cross over the border to pick up UPS packages is fill up with gas. Well, we were down on Monday. Gas prices in NY were high and not much lower than here in SE Ontario. To top it off, the gas station where we could get a discount with our loyalty card for groceries was out of regular gas. I am trying to limit my driving into the city to once every 1-2 weeks and do all my errands on one day. This makes for a long day, but limits the number of trips to the City each week. I have put 1000 miles on the Volvo since Feb 27, including the trip from CT to SE Ontario. This is about 1/2 of what I used to drive.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Here in eastern MA, last week I paid $3.75 for a gallon.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Master Chef

The last I bought was 3.99/gal. I saw a couple places today at 4.059. I have not really made any changes. I only use 5 or 6 gallons a week and all of my driving is for fun, so I am lucky compared to many people. I feel the increase in other areas like the grocery store more than at the pump.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Wine Guy

All I can say is I'm glad I don't own a Chevy Suburban anymore. At today's prices it would have cost $150 to fill 'er up.

We've made some changes. My wife and I have down-sized vehicles in recent years. She drives a Ford Fusion (39 mpg) and I have a Toyota Yaris (35 mpg). In addition, we both choose to work from home one or more days a week. All said, we typically spend $25 a week on gas between the two cars, which I think is pretty decent.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
All I can say is I'm glad I don't own a Chevy Suburban anymore. At today's prices it would have cost $150 to fill 'er up.

We've made some changes. My wife and I have down-sized vehicles in recent years. She drives a Ford Fusion (39 mpg) and I have a Toyota Yaris (35 mpg). In addition, we both choose to work from home one or more days a week. All said, we typically spend $25 a week on gas between the two cars, which I think is pretty decent.
With the higher gas prices, I think more companies should be open to people working remotely. I've worked remotely almost exclusively since 1989. I have done this on long-term contracts (up to 4 years) and short-term contracts. It makes sense from a real estate perspective as well. Companies don't need to provide cube space since so many people work on computers, need Internet, phone, and software to attend meetings.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
here in central virginia, gas costs $3.70 per gallon today....
I only wish! Los Angeles gas prices: $4.25-$4.30 and that's the lowest octane at the lowest priced gas stations. Some stations are charging $4.50 and up
Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I only wish! Los Angeles gas prices: $4.25-$4.30 and that's the lowest octane at the lowest priced gas stations. Some stations are charging $4.50 and up
Besides worrying that my van would break down between ON and northern MN, one of the reasons I've been taking the train to MN has been that it was cheaper to book a sleeper and the train ticket than it was to drive. Not to mention, more fun!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
With the higher gas prices, I think more companies should be open to people working remotely. I've worked remotely almost exclusively since 1989. I have done this on long-term contracts (up to 4 years) and short-term contracts. It makes sense from a real estate perspective as well. Companies don't need to provide cube space since so many people work on computers, need Internet, phone, and software to attend meetings.
Same here. Every job I've taken since 1996, working remotely - at least part time - has been an option. The company I currently work for gave all employees 2-day a week telecommuting privileges a few years ago as a cost saving measure. At the time, it was thought that they would keep it in place for 6-12 months and then revert back to the old policy. It proved to be so popular and cost-effective that they just made it permanent.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm not sure but I think that I paid $3.77 per gallon last week.

We both have smallish 4 cylinder cars and live pretty close to work, so luckily we aren't noticing too much.

The reason we bought the place that we did, is that it is close to both jobs and close to pretty much everything. We average 6K miles a year on one car and 5k on the other, so we can keep our cars way past their payments. If we had bought a bigger place on the outskirts of town for the same money, we would be replacing the cars every 5-6 years and our gas costs would be more than double.

We are paying around $170-180 per month at current prices to keep both cars going.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote