"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
Master Chef

Thanks Andy, and everyone. This isn't as great a loss as many of our fellow D.C. members have had recently. But it is an important even in the lives of our daughter, and us. It feels like it did when I had to go to sea while in the U.S. Navy for 6 months. It kind of devastates you for a bit. Then, you get on with everything and take care of your family in spite of the seperation.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Goodweed, I'm sorry you and your daughter aren't together, today. You're in her heart and you know she knows. That's not the same as being there, but the "Big Daddy" is watching over both of you.

Good luck, God Bless, and Be Safe.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Awwww, Goodweed, this really bites. It's the part I hate about kids growing up - there are times that we are separated by physical distance and miss things we would never have missed when they were small. I know you are longing to be there with your baby for every second of this new chapter in her life. All I can say is that I'm sure she's longing for you, too, but when you finally arrive, it will all fall away.

I can't even imagine how it must feel to gaze on your daughter, a beautiful bride, pledging her heart and her life to her husband! I'm sure it's an exquisite mixture of pride and heartache. Of course, we expect many pictures and every detail when you get back.

After that, you can always do what I did - just have another kid! It solves that whole grown-up kid thing for at least another 20 years!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
... After that, you can always do what I did - just have another kid! It solves that whole grown-up kid thing for at least another 20 years!
Um, er, grandkids will fill the "I need to have youngun's around me" niche quite nicely. Starting with another baby at 52 would mean I'd have to contend with a teen by 65 and I just don't think I'd have the ability to give that youngster the energy and experiences that only a loving and younger father can provide. I could easlily provide the love, but I'm afraid that boy or girl, they'd wrestly me to the ground too easily and then, I'd be in trouble.

My kids couldn't take me down, even when they ganged up on me all at once, until the oldest was into her twenties, with two brothers and a younger sister not far behind, and even then, they still needed their Mom's help. I was king by right and my might. At 65, I'm afraid I just wouldn't cut the mustard. And so, I'll let them have the kids and I'll be the best grandpa ever.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote