"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-13-2005, 10:29 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

My Great Grandmother had 18 children. My grandfathers mother had 13.

DragonflyD

Old 10-14-2005, 12:01 PM   #22
Master Chef

I saw them on CNN and couldn't decide if they were sweet or creepy. Just a bit too Stepford-ish.

Old 10-14-2005, 01:07 PM   #23
Head Chef

I saw a tiny blurb, would love to see the Discovery Channel show, but can't find it...Interesting...I think they were home schooled, an old coworker of mine had 8 and he also choose to home school. I wonder if many large families tend to go this route.

I bet the kids really learn to share their parents attention. Having one at home that is used to the sole attention, I think learning to share early on is a really great thing.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:51 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

I have no children of my own... yet. But I'd like to have three or four. My father always tells me: "Have the first, and then we'll talk".
Old 10-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to chefhelper
I think that people had larger families long ago b/c there was a higher chance of losing a child in childbirth, infancy or early childhood. Also, kids worked more - be it on a farm or in a factory. They were important to the survival of the family. Nowadays, it's more economical for families to stay small...so when we hear about 16 kids, it's a shock. Can you imagine how large their college fund needs to be!!! hehe
Jeesh, I'm on #1 and this is fine for me. :)
Old 10-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefhelper
I think that people had larger families long ago b/c there was a higher chance of losing a child in childbirth, infancy or early childhood. Also, kids worked more - be it on a farm or in a factory. They were important to the survival of the family. Nowadays, it's more economical for families to stay small...so when we hear about 16 kids, it's a shock. Can you imagine how large their college fund needs to be!!! hehe
Jeesh, I'm on #1 and this is fine for me. :)
If you go by economic theory the more technologically advanced a society gets the lower the birthrate gets.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:11 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

I live in Arkansas, where this family is from, and I remember when they just had 12 kids!! My mom is the youngest of 13 and my dad is somewhere in a sibship of 8. I get the feeling she just loves to be a mom and gets a real sense of fulfillment out of it. I cannot imaging having more than 2. I'm happy with just the one I have now, but hubby definitely wants more. We'll have to talk. I did love being pregnant, but then comes all the sleeplessness, good bye freedom, etc. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my daughter, but I would be just fine w/o any more!!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:14 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I'm all for the letter "J", especially since my own first name begins with it...But I'm really curious why they would name all 16 kids with names that begin with "J"? I'd personally get really creative and at least try a few different letters of the alphabet

Quote:
Their children include two sets of twins, and each child has a name beginning with the letter "J": Joshua, 17; John David, 15; Janna, 15; Jill, 14; Jessa, 12; Jinger, 11; Joseph, 10; Josiah, 9; Joy-Anna, 8; Jeremiah, 6; Jedidiah, 6; Jason, 5; James, 4; Justin, 2; and Jackson Levi, 1 {and new baby Johannah Faith}

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:57 AM   #29
Head Chef

I agree with you, J is a nice letter (I did name my oldest Jessica) but all 16 with the same intials is just ridiculous.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:47 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

what kind of name is Jinger?????