Arkansas Mother Gives Birth to 16th Child

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw a tiny blurb, would love to see the Discovery Channel show, but can't find it...Interesting...I think they were home schooled, an old coworker of mine had 8 and he also choose to home school. I wonder if many large families tend to go this route.

I bet the kids really learn to share their parents attention. Having one at home that is used to the sole attention, I think learning to share early on is a really great thing.

I have no children of my own... yet. But I'd like to have three or four. My father always tells me: "Have the first, and then we'll talk".

I think that people had larger families long ago b/c there was a higher chance of losing a child in childbirth, infancy or early childhood. Also, kids worked more - be it on a farm or in a factory. They were important to the survival of the family. Nowadays, it's more economical for families to stay small...so when we hear about 16 kids, it's a shock. Can you imagine how large their college fund needs to be!!! hehe
Jeesh, I'm on #1 and this is fine for me. :)

chefhelper said:
I think that people had larger families long ago b/c there was a higher chance of losing a child in childbirth, infancy or early childhood. Also, kids worked more - be it on a farm or in a factory. They were important to the survival of the family. Nowadays, it's more economical for families to stay small...so when we hear about 16 kids, it's a shock. Can you imagine how large their college fund needs to be!!! hehe
Jeesh, I'm on #1 and this is fine for me. :)

If you go by economic theory the more technologically advanced a society gets the lower the birthrate gets.

I live in Arkansas, where this family is from, and I remember when they just had 12 kids!! My mom is the youngest of 13 and my dad is somewhere in a sibship of 8. I get the feeling she just loves to be a mom and gets a real sense of fulfillment out of it. I cannot imaging having more than 2. I'm happy with just the one I have now, but hubby definitely wants more. We'll have to talk. I did love being pregnant, but then comes all the sleeplessness, good bye freedom, etc. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my daughter, but I would be just fine w/o any more!! :rolleyes:

I'm all for the letter "J", especially since my own first name begins with it...But I'm really curious why they would name all 16 kids with names that begin with "J"? I'd personally get really creative and at least try a few different letters of the alphabet :mrgreen:

Their children include two sets of twins, and each child has a name beginning with the letter "J": Joshua, 17; John David, 15; Janna, 15; Jill, 14; Jessa, 12; Jinger, 11; Joseph, 10; Josiah, 9; Joy-Anna, 8; Jeremiah, 6; Jedidiah, 6; Jason, 5; James, 4; Justin, 2; and Jackson Levi, 1 {and new baby Johannah Faith}

I agree with you, J is a nice letter (I did name my oldest Jessica) but all 16 with the same intials is just ridiculous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom