"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella99
Done painting :)

6-8 hours of painting
4 coats of white
3 coats of purple
A sprained thumb
A couple dog paws around the house, in paint of course
A Barney impersonation

AND a partridge in a pear tree

Before :

After :
Very nice, Bella!

I once spent a summer painting the whole inside of our 2 story house, did some sponging and faux finishing, now we hire a guy and his parents, they get it done in a day with sprayers and such.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Very nice, Bella!

I once spent a summer painting the whole inside of our 2 story house, did some sponging and faux finishing, now we hire a guy and his parents, they get it done in a day with sprayers and such.
Thank you!
I'm going to hang this picture there in the middle (with my bed & headboard under)

Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella99

Thank you!
I'm going to hang this picture there in the middle (with my bed & headboard under)
Sweet! There are a few of us here ( myself included) who love purple and lavendar. What a pretty picture!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I so need artwork in my bedroom. I have painted it a beautiful blue, have some really nice white faux wood white blinds and white trim. The artwork I do have is some of my own black and white floral photography in black frames with white mattes. I just need a stunning piece for over the bed, and the room will come together. I also have some floating shelves with antique cameras that I've collected over the years. I like to inject my hobbies and interests in my decor but without them being the whole decor.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I so need artwork in my bedroom. I have painted it a beautiful blue, have some really nice white faux wood white blinds and white trim. The artwork I do have is some of my own black and white floral photography in black frames with white mattes. I just need a stunning piece for over the bed, and the room will come together. I also have some floating shelves with antique cameras that I've collected over the years. I like to inject my hobbies and interests in my decor but without them being the whole decor.
To add texture to the walls, paint a base coat. Then sponge some colors you like. Get brown Kraft paper. Cut it as if it were wallpaper. Paint the wall a 2nd color (I go dark for the base, light for the 2nd color). Oops=do this first before painting the wall a 2nd time: Measure the Kraft paper, tear the edges so they aren't straight. Crumble it. Paint the 2nd color on the wall, apply (one strip of Kraft paper wide, but feather the edges) as if it were wallpaper. Starting at the top, apply the Kraft paper. Pull it off. What happens is some of the 2nd coat of paint comes off--you end up with a wall that looks as if it were an old stone wall. Some color combinations to consider would be a dark grey, 2nd coat would be a light blue grey. Or you could go white on white. I did a slate grey with a sky blue in one room, a custom-mixed lilac with a lighter lilac in another room; a sage green with vanilla in another room. Toss the piece of Kraft paper and repeat for the next section. The end result is a wall that looks sort of like a stone wall. Hides dog drool, nicks, dirt. I keep wanting to do a deep purple with a light purple, and then a third application of silver or gold...someday.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella99 View Post
Done painting :)

6-8 hours of painting
4 coats of white
3 coats of purple
A sprained thumb
A couple dog paws around the house, in paint of course
A Barney impersonation

AND a partridge in a pear tree
I LOVE that purple wall! Beauty!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I LOVE that purple wall! Beauty!
Thanks! I'm thinking I want more purple around the room, maybe some stripes.. but the painters tape we got was horrid. (You can see some purple marks on the ceiling in the pics) and the baseboards you can see it in person).

NEVER buy it. (Scotch green painters tape)

Old 06-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Supposedly the "Frog" tape is supposed to not allow "bleeding." I too love purple. The master bedroom and two other bedrooms are lavender. The bathroom has royal purple accessories (walls are a light, light grey). If you don't like purple, don't come stay at my house!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I like doing an accent wall and then bringing that color around the room with accessories, fabrics and such. I find that a bold accent wall with the other walls being more neutral, keeps the room feeling light and the accent color not too overbearing.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Neutral with accents works very well. Unfortunately that is not a well known or well understood concept. I've been house hunting the last several months, and one thing I know for sure: "gross" is a well understood concept, at least if numbers are any indication.

I'm amazed that so few people have understood the concept of "neutral" considering all the disgusting primary and glaring colors I've seen in homes that are purportedly up for sale. I sometimes wonder if people in foreclosure paint their homes in these clashing colors and strew their personal garbage and clutter around the homes, in the hope that they can continue living mortgage payment free for many months to come, secure in their knowledge that nobody is going to want to buy a house like that.

In one house the kid's room was so full of ... stuff ... that I couldn't even open the door enough to see the whole room. I think the walls were painted black.

Tags
tips