"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
That would depend whether you're in the northern or southern hemisphere.

Ceiling fans in general should direct air straight down during the warmer months and reverse during the winter.
Yea, I know that, I stil don't know which way they should turn

Old 06-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Claire,

I would go with a stunning terracotta rustic non shine tile and for the walls, I would go with either a similar Pale Icy Mint in the same hue and tone as the cabinetry and /or I would pick a lighter icy pale tone of the terracotta in the same hue and tone of course, and use this color with ivory cream and pale mint as your scheme.

The yellow would be a 4th color --- and I am very mono chromatic and neutral when it comes to color palettes fashion wise or decorative wise ...

Kind regards,
Ciao. Margi.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Neutral with accents works very well. Unfortunately that is not a well known or well understood concept. I've been house hunting the last several months, and one thing I know for sure: "gross" is a well understood concept, at least if numbers are any indication.

I'm amazed that so few people have understood the concept of "neutral" considering all the disgusting primary and glaring colors I've seen in homes that are purportedly up for sale. I sometimes wonder if people in foreclosure paint their homes in these clashing colors and strew their personal garbage and clutter around the homes, in the hope that they can continue living mortgage payment free for many months to come, secure in their knowledge that nobody is going to want to buy a house like that.

In one house the kid's room was so full of ... stuff ... that I couldn't even open the door enough to see the whole room. I think the walls were painted black.
We ran into the same thing house hunting! I think that with all of the design shows on TV, people get "inspired" to decorate with bold colors. When a professional designer does it, it can look great, but not everyone has the talent that they do.

When the contractors built this place, they put wallpaper directly on the drywall, so in the kitchen, I'm stuck with wallpaper, luckily the previous owner put up a very neutral, very subtle wallpaper that I can live with. They painted all of the downstairs, hallways, and stairways in a light tan, which looks very nice and makes the white trim and crown molding pop. We bought neutral furniture and brought in colors with artwork and accessories. This makes redecorating very easy and affordable.

One of the masters was done in a terrible shade of yellow, it is now the Blue room which I really love, But I like the neutrals in the common areas, gives them a lighter, more airy feeling. I don't care for white walls though, I had too many of those living in apartments, I prefer a warmer neutral.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #44
Executive Chef

I prefer the same thing, neutral walls with colors/accents provided by artwork and accessories.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Charlie D., Buonasera,

My ceiling fan in the Loft dining room goes Clockwise ...
The store which we bought it, installed it ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano
Charlie D., Buonasera,

My ceiling fan in the Loft dining room goes Clockwise ...
The store which we bought it, installed it ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Ciao, Margi.
The one in our sunroom also goes clockwise.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I, too, prefer neutral tones. They seem much more restful and calming. Any "wow" colors in our home come in the form of accessories and/or artwork.

I was a decorator and owned my own business for many years and saw many homes decorated in a manner the owner thought was House Beautiful worthy but, in reality, was more like a disaster.

People can get carried away with bold colors and when it comes time to sell their property those vibrant colors can be a real turn-off for prospective buyers.

One of my dearest friends is a very successful realtor and she always counsels her sellers to declutter their homes and, if there are what would be considered "decorator colors" on any of the walls, she recommends spending the few dollars on paint to change them to a neutral tone.

I like vibrant colors, but tend to restrict them to my dress and prefer that my castle be a place of peace and calm.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Yea, I know that, I stil don't know which way they should turn
Just look and see which way the fan blades are pitched. Then determine whether you want to go clock or counter clock wise...
Old 06-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That is amazingly beautiful and that closet is to die for, CWS! Now I want that closet!
PF--I waited 17 years for that closet. The closet is 11.5 ft x 8 ft. It was built in sections, much like one would build kitchen cabinets. The bottom drawers are very deep (I think 28" and 16" high) and the doors are standard 80" doors, 34" wide. The interior stuff is set back 8.5" so that I could stand on top of the drawers to reach the top cubbies. And, the clothes are color-coordinated in the cubbies--all my purple tops are together--oh, I guess that has nothing to do with the design. I'd have to open the doors to give you an idea of how I designed the inside. It holds all of my clothes, and then some. And those bottom drawers are great. But I like that things don't fall on my head and that I can reach to the very back of the uppermost cubby (the ceiling is 8 ft 3 ", and the closet utilizes all of the space. There is no dead air in this closet. I canceled the closet to the bedroom and built this along the wall. The bedroom closet then was opened up to be part of the living room. Obviously, the people who design closets don't think outside of the box. This closet is to die for. I threaten to take it with me if I sell the house.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Katie H.,

I agree ... Neutral colors and use a color that you truly enjoy as the accent tones or for 1 wall however, cautions and make sure that you can live in that color.

I did fashion journalism way back when in San Francisco ... I had also studied some Interior Decorating as an elective as well as Fashion Design and Photography at University ... I dislike clashing tones and loudness. Brights can be an accent done intelligently without brassiness.

Kind regards. Margi

Tags
tips