"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Head Chef

Around the House - Projects, Tips etc.

Are you working on any projects (decorating, etc.) in your home you want to share; or have any questions or tips?

I have some picture/metal wall art & candleholders I want to share. Bought a level & picture hangers, but don't want to make umpteen holes in the walls. Not sure what the walls are made of, & most of the time nails don't hold & anchors are not too easy, for me. Any tips on picture/wall hanging? Would you use nails or screws, & what kind would work best?

Here's the metal art wall sculpture I won at auction (w/ certificate of authenticity & signed by the artist). I don't want to screw it up.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Head Chef

The candle/tealight holder is similar to this one. Will probably hang it over the fireplace or in the bedroom:

Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Redoing my entire bedroom decor, as i'm moving and think I need a 'fresh' and clean slate. I never realized how many walls my new bedroom has! (7!) but, i'll admit, the kitty-corner walls are pretty gorgeous, just a pain to paint. I ended up pulling a muscle in my hand in the middle of the second coat, went to the doctor today and was told to not use my hand (also the one I write with). So I now have a half-pained room.

Hows that for shabby chic? A half painted room LOL.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Are you working on any projects (decorating, etc.) in your home you want to share; or have any questions or tips?

I have some picture/metal wall art & candleholders I want to share. Bought a level & picture hangers, but don't want to make umpteen holes in the walls. Not sure what the walls are made of, & most of the time nails don't hold & anchors are not too easy, for me. Any tips on picture/wall hanging? Would you use nails or screws, & what kind would work best?

Here's the metal art wall sculpture I won at auction (w/ certificate of authenticity & signed by the artist). I don't want to screw it up.

They sell those hooks, by that tape brand. (Total mind blank) that come off and go on walls pretty easy. If your art has a border on the back, like a canvas does (the wood part), you can just rest it on top of the plastic hooks.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella99 View Post
They sell those hooks, by that tape brand. (Total mind blank) that come off and go on walls pretty easy. If your art has a border on the back, like a canvas does (the wood part), you can just rest it on top of the plastic hooks.
Bella, I think you mean 3m/Scotch. You can get them in various sizes and they do work great. I just took some off the sliding doors in my Dad's room. He used them to keep his cane and picker-uper handy. They didn't leave a mark!

Cerise the hooks probably won't work on the candle display because they would show too much - it is too open. I don't know what to suggest for that one.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Bella, I think you mean 3m/Scotch. You can get them in various sizes and they do work great. I just took some off the sliding doors in my Dad's room. He used them to keep his cane and picker-uper handy. They didn't leave a mark!

Cerise the hooks probably won't work on the candle display because they would show too much - it is too open. I don't know what to suggest for that one.

Yes!

If it weren't used for candles, i'd suggest putting two strings on either side, and screwing in O hooks on the ceiling, and tying them. I've seen this done infront of brick walls, so they don't damage. But I wouldn't suggest it for candles
Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Is it backed by some sort of brackets intended to be used for mounting?

I interpret "not screw it up" as not wanting it to fall off the wall and get ruined. IMO you should use expansion anchors, available in a huge variety at HD and other hardware stores. You select type and size depending on weight of hanging and method of attachment. Assuming 20-30 pounds perhaps two anchors. If you don't have the skills then get somebody to do the job for you.

(You probably have wallboard over studs for your wall. For the anchors you drill a hole--some have sharp points and you pound them in without needing a hole--then they expand as they are tightened down. Some day when they are not needed they are easy to remove and fill over with spackle and paint, wall is then good as new.)
Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks
Is it backed by some sort of brackets intended to be used for mounting?

I interpret "not screw it up" as not wanting it to fall off the wall and get ruined. IMO you should use expansion anchors, available in a huge variety at HD and other hardware stores. You select type and size depending on weight of hanging and method of attachment. Assuming 20-30 pounds perhaps two anchors. If you don't have the skills then get somebody to do the job for you.

(You probably have wallboard over studs for your wall. For the anchors you drill a hole--some have sharp points and you pound them in without needing a hole--then they expand as they are tightened down. Some day when they are not needed they are easy to remove and fill over with spackle and paint, wall is then good as new.)
+1

They're really very easy to use.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't get me started on "around the house" projects. The bathroom sink/vanity is concrete--I love it, but it was a challenge (and yes, we did it ourselves); the floors, the doors, I assume you mean "around the house" but not for those with a workshop/milling machines/sawmill/forge/cupala/etc. where you can do just about anything you can see in your mind's eye--the hardware in one of the spare rooms was something we casted...the floor is something we did--starting with the saw logs.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Master Chef

As a total DIY'er I'm constantly overwhelmed by the number of on-going projects I've got going around the house. I get tired of working on one project and will move on to another, then come back to the one I left off 6 months ago....and so on. It's never ending. This is what happens if you're too cheap to hire a contractor.

Tags
tips