"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,161
Around the House - Projects, Tips etc.

Are you working on any projects (decorating, etc.) in your home you want to share; or have any questions or tips?

I have some picture/metal wall art & candleholders I want to share. Bought a level & picture hangers, but don't want to make umpteen holes in the walls. Not sure what the walls are made of, & most of the time nails don't hold & anchors are not too easy, for me. Any tips on picture/wall hanging? Would you use nails or screws, & what kind would work best?

Here's the metal art wall sculpture I won at auction (w/ certificate of authenticity & signed by the artist). I don't want to screw it up.


__________________

__________________
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,161
The candle/tealight holder is similar to this one. Will probably hang it over the fireplace or in the bedroom:


__________________

__________________
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Bella99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
Redoing my entire bedroom decor, as i'm moving and think I need a 'fresh' and clean slate. I never realized how many walls my new bedroom has! (7!) but, i'll admit, the kitty-corner walls are pretty gorgeous, just a pain to paint. I ended up pulling a muscle in my hand in the middle of the second coat, went to the doctor today and was told to not use my hand (also the one I write with). So I now have a half-pained room.

Hows that for shabby chic? A half painted room LOL.
__________________
Bella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Bella99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Are you working on any projects (decorating, etc.) in your home you want to share; or have any questions or tips?

I have some picture/metal wall art & candleholders I want to share. Bought a level & picture hangers, but don't want to make umpteen holes in the walls. Not sure what the walls are made of, & most of the time nails don't hold & anchors are not too easy, for me. Any tips on picture/wall hanging? Would you use nails or screws, & what kind would work best?

Here's the metal art wall sculpture I won at auction (w/ certificate of authenticity & signed by the artist). I don't want to screw it up.

They sell those hooks, by that tape brand. (Total mind blank) that come off and go on walls pretty easy. If your art has a border on the back, like a canvas does (the wood part), you can just rest it on top of the plastic hooks.
__________________
Bella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella99 View Post
They sell those hooks, by that tape brand. (Total mind blank) that come off and go on walls pretty easy. If your art has a border on the back, like a canvas does (the wood part), you can just rest it on top of the plastic hooks.
Bella, I think you mean 3m/Scotch. You can get them in various sizes and they do work great. I just took some off the sliding doors in my Dad's room. He used them to keep his cane and picker-uper handy. They didn't leave a mark!

Cerise the hooks probably won't work on the candle display because they would show too much - it is too open. I don't know what to suggest for that one.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Bella99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Bella, I think you mean 3m/Scotch. You can get them in various sizes and they do work great. I just took some off the sliding doors in my Dad's room. He used them to keep his cane and picker-uper handy. They didn't leave a mark!

Cerise the hooks probably won't work on the candle display because they would show too much - it is too open. I don't know what to suggest for that one.

Yes!

If it weren't used for candles, i'd suggest putting two strings on either side, and screwing in O hooks on the ceiling, and tying them. I've seen this done infront of brick walls, so they don't damage. But I wouldn't suggest it for candles
__________________
Bella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Here's the metal art wall sculpture I won at auction (w/ certificate of authenticity & signed by the artist). I don't want to screw it up.
Is it backed by some sort of brackets intended to be used for mounting?

I interpret "not screw it up" as not wanting it to fall off the wall and get ruined. IMO you should use expansion anchors, available in a huge variety at HD and other hardware stores. You select type and size depending on weight of hanging and method of attachment. Assuming 20-30 pounds perhaps two anchors. If you don't have the skills then get somebody to do the job for you.

(You probably have wallboard over studs for your wall. For the anchors you drill a hole--some have sharp points and you pound them in without needing a hole--then they expand as they are tightened down. Some day when they are not needed they are easy to remove and fill over with spackle and paint, wall is then good as new.)
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks
Is it backed by some sort of brackets intended to be used for mounting?

I interpret "not screw it up" as not wanting it to fall off the wall and get ruined. IMO you should use expansion anchors, available in a huge variety at HD and other hardware stores. You select type and size depending on weight of hanging and method of attachment. Assuming 20-30 pounds perhaps two anchors. If you don't have the skills then get somebody to do the job for you.

(You probably have wallboard over studs for your wall. For the anchors you drill a hole--some have sharp points and you pound them in without needing a hole--then they expand as they are tightened down. Some day when they are not needed they are easy to remove and fill over with spackle and paint, wall is then good as new.)
+1

They're really very easy to use.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,324
Don't get me started on "around the house" projects. The bathroom sink/vanity is concrete--I love it, but it was a challenge (and yes, we did it ourselves); the floors, the doors, I assume you mean "around the house" but not for those with a workshop/milling machines/sawmill/forge/cupala/etc. where you can do just about anything you can see in your mind's eye--the hardware in one of the spare rooms was something we casted...the floor is something we did--starting with the saw logs.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
As a total DIY'er I'm constantly overwhelmed by the number of on-going projects I've got going around the house. I get tired of working on one project and will move on to another, then come back to the one I left off 6 months ago....and so on. It's never ending. This is what happens if you're too cheap to hire a contractor.
__________________

__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tips

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.