Arthritis/Dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vagisil, are you serious?? LOL
One of mine has mites and we usually put a drop in it that smells horrible, like old nasty peaches or something. His ears are crusty and stink from a yeast infection. I assume the vagisil will help this too. LOL:LOL:

I can't help you with the mites. I would think you would want to clear them up first in case a cream promotes their spread, but yup, I'm serious about the vagisil. I'm sure he wouldn't be using it if it didn't work on his dog's ears.

Oh yeah, vagisil will definitely work and it's infinitely less messy that gentian violet, but much more expensive. For the mites, use a q-tip and gauze and clean out the ears well. If they have a real mite problem, there will be lots of black gook that looks similar to coffee grinds. After you get as much as you can out, put 10-15 drops of plain mineral oil in each ear. Pull on the ear slightly so you can massage at the bottom to work the oil well down into the ear. Do this a couple of times a day for a couple of weeks. The oil actually drowns the mites - like putting vaseline on a tick. It takes longer than the insecticide drops to completely clear the mites but it's also much safer if you have young children around.

Do any of you have animals with arthritis? If so, could you suggest what I can do till I take him to doctor to try acupuncture?
Thanks

My brothers dog had arthritis and he was giving him Novox, which is the generic equivalent to Rimadyl. My brother said on Novox his dog went from not being able to get up, to running around again like a young pup! So you might want to ask your vet about trying that maybe.

Oh yeah, vagisil will definitely work and it's infinitely less messy that gentian violet, but much more expensive. For the mites, use a q-tip and gauze and clean out the ears well. If they have a real mite problem, there will be lots of black gook that looks similar to coffee grinds. After you get as much as you can out, put 10-15 drops of plain mineral oil in each ear. Pull on the ear slightly so you can massage at the bottom to work the oil well down into the ear. Do this a couple of times a day for a couple of weeks. The oil actually drowns the mites - like putting vaseline on a tick. It takes longer than the insecticide drops to completely clear the mites but it's also much safer if you have young children around.
:)The oil only works if it's a mild case of mites. My redbone hound would get them really bad because his long ears kept it a warm enviroment. The vet wanted to knock him out to flush the insides of his ears but I would not let him as knocking out a dog is so hard on them. So we did it straight up My dear Henry just let him do it and then he got a shot. Worked like a dream. If you have a long eared dog if you can can find a way to tie the ears up every so often to get cooler fresh air they are less prone to ear mites also use the oil to prevent problems before they start.

My brothers dog had arthritis and he was giving him Novox, which is the generic equivalent to Rimadyl. My brother said on Novox his dog went from not being able to get up, to running around again like a young pup! So you might want to ask your vet about trying that maybe.
:) I want to say this one more time from experience Rimadyl,steroids etc only stop the pain/symptoms if you try chondroitin and glucosamine formulas for dogs it addresses the actual problem by filling in the cartilage between the joints. My redbone hound got to the point he could not get up in the morning very well and could not jump into the back of the truck those supplements help greatly which also help humans unless it's Rheumatoid Arthritis. Steroids will kill the pain but they also make the dog extremely thirsty and hungry

:)The oil only works if it's a mild case of mites. My redbone hound would get them really bad because his long ears kept it a warm enviroment. The vet wanted to knock him out to flush the insides of his ears but I would not let him as knocking out a dog is so hard on them. So we did it straight up My dear Henry just let him do it and then he got a shot. Worked like a dream. If you have a long eared dog if you can can find a way to tie the ears up every so often to get cooler fresh air they are less prone to ear mites also use the oil to prevent problems before they start.
Actually, the oil will work even on heavy infestations but it takes cleaning the black gunk out and putting in the oil twice a day for a couple of weeks at least. The shot or even the drops from the vet work faster and are much easier but if finances don't allow for a trip to the vet, the oil will work. They still recommend it for animals who have a sensitivity to insecticides.

You bring up a good point about long-eared dogs. Keeping them clean and dry is a challenge but helps with mites and infections. Also, if your dog is a breed that grows a lot of hair inside his ears, pluck the hair out regularly with tweezers or forceps. It allows wax to drain and air to get in so fewer infections.

:) As a matter of fact it was the steroids that killed my beloved Henry he was so ravenous he went down the hill and chewed up some dead elk bones which in turn splintered and poked a hole in his intestines which gave him peritonitis ( a really bad infection) he was taking steroids as he had problems with his jaw that would send him into howling pain so I had no choice but let him have the steroids but it was never for his arthritis because the chondroitin and glucosamine worked so well.

You could probably do anything you feel like short of giving any type of medication. I'm assuming here that holistic type procedures are what you are after, since that is what acupuncture is?
I would like to hear how this works out for your dog, after you decide to take him in.

Like others have suggested, there comes a time to mask pain to make your pet's life more comortable.

Because you asked, and feel that there is choice when it comes to helping our pets I feel strongly that acupuncture helps the situation. Not only does the dog seem more comfortable but he is barking again when he wants to 'voice' his opinion.

The doctor said the dog is doing some kind of balancing act like he is on a pogo stick as the nerve in his neck is pinched which causes all this biting on his paws. The doctor stuck one big needle in his head, then waited few minutes and dog seemed more relaxed and then he started sticking in different locations around his legs. The dog never resisted at all. Seemed the needles must be so sharp, hardly feel them although to me it sure looked very painful. The doctor said to make appointment for 5-7 days and then return cause to discontinue before full treatment is given would not do any good. He also gave me some herbs to give him. One thing about all this is I know these things aren't going against the body, a natural type of treatment. I cannot believe of all the steroid shots the the regular vet gave him to try to stop him biting his paws which he considered to be due to allergies. The dog hardly bites his paws like he did in past, one thing obvious to me. More relaxed. It truly is blessing when you can give relief to your pets. I only find guilt in not finding out about this sooner. Oh the dog's name is China, mom named him that when she had him. We kept the name and doctor thought unusual for dog named China and come for Chinese treatment. It is strange to me too.

We go back Wednesday for another treatment. I will do everything I can to make all the appointments when it gives such positive results. I only wish he could treat me too for problems I have. He did say he could recommend doctor but I can't pay for myself until the dog gets better. When I questioned my vet about this doctor, he knew of him and said he is very good. Why didn't he suggest I go to him then? Had to go on Internet to local people here to find help.

Thanks for all your help and interest. I would recommend if you want to keep your pets longer that you find someone who uses acupuncture. They had other animals in the office not only dogs. If only animals could talk.

Last edited:
That's great news ITK. Thanks for letting me know. I like to keep up on this stuff.
I don't know if anyone around me does accupuncture to dogs... I know there is a holistic vet semi-nearby. I'll have to check around in case I, or someone I know, needs an alternative cure for our pets.

Cool stuff!

pacanis

That is so appreciated for you to give someone else hope in an alternative way. I was thinking it was the end, but today looks like he wants to give me trouble if I don't do as he wants. (Normal) As long as he still wanted to eat his food I knew he was not wanting to throw in the towel, as my vet seemed to indicate. Now I wonder what happened to his dog since recently had to put down. As long as mine is doing okay is my worry. Hope you have only pets with good health. As I often say, if it wasn't for my dogs I wouldn't feel as if life is worth it. Sure different than when I was married and otherwise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom