Arthritis/Dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Do any of you have animals with arthritis? If so, could you suggest what I can do till I take him to doctor to try acupuncture?
Thanks

Last edited:
It's been many years since I had a dog with arthritis but at the time, I gave him one aspirin daily. He was a fairly big dog - a Chesapeake Bay Retriever - and I'm not sure what the dosage would be for smaller dogs. Also, I vaguely recall reading something about not giving chihuahuas aspirin. I don't know what kind of dog you have or if they even give aspirin to dogs anymore so hopefully someone here will know more about this.

We used to give our dog (a collie) an aspirin a day as well. We stopped when she died three years ago, but it did help the whole time.

Do any of you have animals with arthritis? If so, could you suggest what I can do till I take him to doctor to try acupuncture?
Thanks

You could probably do anything you feel like short of giving any type of medication. I'm assuming here that holistic type procedures are what you are after, since that is what acupuncture is?
I would like to hear how this works out for your dog, after you decide to take him in.

Like others have suggested, there comes a time to mask pain to make your pet's life more comortable.

:) Here is a list of human medicines that work for dogs. They tell you the milligrams and to use buffered aspirin.
A:\meds.htm
Thank you for posting this site. Our dog Cubbie is showing most of the symptoms of a skin allergy (Atopy), and the things I have read said to change his diet (no wheat or corn) and that an antihistamine might help. We have switched him to a lamb and rice food. I have heard that Benadryl is okay for dogs, and this says it is okay. I will, of course, also talk to the vet about this and about my suspicions about Cubbie having Atopy.

:)Barbara

Of course the other thing is to make sure the dog stays off of cold floors, a nice warm sheepskin over his bed is ideal. I had a very old cat (pushing 19 at the time) with arthritis so I just took her to the vet once a month for an injection, steroids I think but wouldn't swear to it. Over exposure can cause kidney damage, or exaccerbate existing damage, which it did in her case but she was able to move a lot better for those last few months.

You could also try massage.

Aspirin is OK for a dog if it DOESN'T have ibuproffen in it. Then it could kill your pet. I did not see mention of that on the site that was posted.
No ibuproffen!

Barbara, you could talk to your vet, but it's been my experience that they would rather put your dog on prednisone and tell you to keep giving him benedryl than addressing the actual problem. I have seen this first hand with dozens of vets.

True, corn wheat and soy are major allergy culprits when it comes to dog food. Eliminate those and you usually eliminate your problem(s), and that goes for treats, too.
Switching to a lamb and rice food may or may not have eliminated those grains. It depends which L & R food you chose. There aren't many that are true L & R foods, especially if they aren't a holistic or all natural food. Take Iams for instance. Their L & R food has chicken in it :ohmy: and brewers rice, which is one of the off products from making beer. And if I'm not mistaken, does not contain taurine. Their sister co., Eukanuba, has started adding taurine to their lamb and rice food. Taurine is a chemical not found in lamb protein. Crufts medical university did a study and found that dogs fed a lamb and rice diet for five years developed heart problems and that was related to the lack of taurine in their diet. So you want a L & R food that contains taurine.

Yeap, I was giving my Molly baby aspirin. When we took her to the vet, they prescribed her Rimadyl, but, had to wait 72 hours to get the aspirin out of her system. I don't remember why they said it wasn't good, but, I won't give any of them aspirin again.
Poor baby suffered 3 days because I was doing what I thought was okay. Just watch the aspirin.

Last edited:
It may have been the coating on the baby aspirin, too.
Don't ask me why, because dogs can eat raw meat and bones without a problem, but a candy coated aspirin (or any pill) can eat their stomach lining if given on a regular basis.

Prayers

How truly GRATEFUL I am to all who responded. It is absolutely humbling to know people care so much for their pets. Thank you for your sincere concern. My prayers are answered and I will take your suggestions and try to see which ones do the best until the appointment with the vet for the acupuncture. (My brother who has serious problem with arthritis is afraid to get the shots. So when I told him about the dog, he wants me to be sure to let him know how well he does with them. Kind of backwards to me, but that is my family)

I was so frantic last night with him moaning everytime he was trying to move. That is why I asked about your experience with your pets. It is such a grateful feeling to have all of you to take the time to try to help my dog. He would definitely appreciate it. My regular vet seemed so depressed when he took the xray and gave him t he strong steroid injection which he knows I don't care for but as someone said the dog's comfort is my main concern right now. I do feed him lamb and rice food by Science Diet but I am going to definitely check the label to find out about this taurine ingredient that someone mentioned. All this information I am going to forward to my niece who now has '18 fosters' (told me this week one she just got has to be bathed every other day for some kind of yeast trouble that made the dog lose its hair. Owners gave the dog up when the vet told them what had to be done. My niece is now doing it.) She could write a book on how to really show love for animals. Got off the track with this topic. When he lays there moaning and can't tell you why to see him relaxed and comfortable is a blessing.

Once again, you are an answer to my prayer and may God bless you and your dogs with good health. Thanks for caring. You have truly touched my heart.

...Barbara, you could talk to your vet, but it's been my experience that they would rather put your dog on prednisone and tell you to keep giving him benedryl than addressing the actual problem. I have seen this first hand with dozens of vets.

True, corn wheat and soy are major allergy culprits when it comes to dog food. Eliminate those and you usually eliminate your problem(s), and that goes for treats, too. Switching to a lamb and rice food may or may not have eliminated those grains. It depends which L & R food you chose. There aren't many that are true L & R foods, especially if they aren't a holistic or all natural food. Take Iams for instance. Their L & R food has chicken in it :ohmy: and brewers rice, which is one of the off products from making beer. And if I'm not mistaken, does not contain taurine. Their sister co., Eukanuba, has started adding taurine to their lamb and rice food. Taurine is a chemical not found in lamb protein. Crufts medical university did a study and found that dogs fed a lamb and rice diet for five years developed heart problems and that was related to the lack of taurine in their diet. So you want a L & R food that contains taurine.
Thanks! Can you buy taurine separately? With both of us being out of work and being down to our last few dollars, we couldn't buy the most expensive food, but we didn't want to keep giving him what he had been eating (1st ingredient was corn and it had a lot of wheat too). We went to Tractor Supply Co., and I bought Diamond brand Lamb and Rice formula. It doesn't list taurine. It lists: Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, millet, egg product, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), rice bran, beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hyrocholoride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, and folic acid. Sorry that is so long! I just wanted to include everything it said was in it, since you know more about these things than I do. I figured this has to be better than what he was eating (Alpo Prime Cuts, and Pedigree), but if it ends up giving him heart problems, I don't know! I also give him fish oil capsules. He needs a bath (I bought some oatmeal shampoo for him) but I am waiting for it to warm up a bit. I think this week will be okay for it. Cubbie has been on the new food for a week now. He still scratches, but it seems to have slowed a bit, and he isn't shaking his head as much.

P.S. Sorry to slightly hijack this thread!

Last edited:
Gee, I could have looked it up :LOL: thanks for typing that out though.

Those ingredients are a LOT better than Hill's science diet L & R, which I did look up. It surprises me to see how good they are as a matter of fact. Which is a good thing. I imagine Diamond had to do something to bolster their image after the aflotoxin debacle a few years ago.
OK, I had to go look. This is their Diamond "Naturals" isn't it? No wonder the ingredients aren't half bad. They didn't have a Naturals a few years ago. I didn't see a L & R in their regular formulas.

All I know is what the study said. It was a five years study and dogs were suffering heart problems after that time. I also know some people first hand whose dogs were on a L & R diet and who died prematurely for heart problems around 5-6 years of age. The food they were feeding also did not contain taurine, which is not found in lamb, but is in other sources of meat protein. I'm sorry I don't know the recommended amount and also don't know if you can pick up some pills or powder at GNC or something.

But, that said, Cubbie may not have needed the L & R diet. He may have just needed something without corn, wheat and soy. Dogs are typically more allergic to those than meat protein sources (with the exception of beef).

And, something else to consider, you buy a bag of food, you get some fish oil pills, some other supplement, a few benedryl every day, special shampoo, a trip or two to the vet.... Is that really worth saving 10 bucks on a bag of food? Just trying to make a point here. 10 bucks is a lot of money, but so are the things I mentioned.

BTW, if he's shaking his head he probably has ear infections which can also be food related, typically a yeast infection. There are cleaners you can try and some homemade ones on the internet, but someone I know said the only thing that will work for his Westie is white vinegar put on a gauze pad (or paper towel) and swabbed out every day and Vagisil for when it gets really bad.

And usually it takes a few weeks for something like a food change to take effect on what you are trying to correct, so it sounds like you're on the right path with Cubbie if his itching is slowing down. The ear infection won't go away on its own unfortunately.

Since we had already made an appointment to have him neutered (which we have to change because I won't be here, and because we probably just won't have the money) I thought I would ask about it then. Since I'm not a vet, I obviously can't diagnose him, but Cubbie had just about all the symptoms listed in the article I found about Atopy (shaking head, scratching armpits, etc.). To the naked eye his ears seem fine (and he doesn't mind me looking in them or touching them). His head shaking has slowed as well as the scratching, so I am praying it isn't an infection. I'd rather spend the money on him and eat less myself, since he is just an innocent party in this, but we are down to our last $400 and have bills to pay, so we will all have to deal with whatever we have. Hopefully I will find a job when I get back from California (my daughter bought the ticket, and it will actually save us money since I won't be here for 2 weeks), and we are praying that James will get a good job when he is finished with his CAD training in June. Sorry to go so far off topic with this. Life just crashed in on me for a second. I have total faith that things will work out, and when things do get better we will be able to get whatever we and Cubbie need. In the meantime, he is well fed, and he is very loved. Other than a little itching, he doesn't seem to be bothered by anything. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Vagisil, are you serious?? LOL
One of mine has mites and we usually put a drop in it that smells horrible, like old nasty peaches or something. His ears are crusty and stink from a yeast infection. I assume the vagisil will help this too. LOL:LOL:

If your dog or cat has a yeast overgrowth in his ears, here's a cheap and very effective remedy. Clean the ear well with soap and water on a cotton ball and then dry it. Then, apply gentian violet to the entire inside of the ear using a q-tip. I recommend doing this outside because it is a bright purple and will stain. (But once it's dry, it doesn't rub off.) Do this twice a day until it clears up. Sometimes it can take a week or 2. You can buy it at most pharmacies and a little $10 bottle will last you forever.

okay, I guess I should have just come here for ideas. LOL

Wait, I just looked this up. It is the same as what we use for thrush, isn't it?:LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom