"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Arthritis/Dog

Do any of you have animals with arthritis? If so, could you suggest what I can do till I take him to doctor to try acupuncture?
Thanks

Old 02-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Master Chef

PetLabs 360 Arthogen for Dogs dog

Old 02-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Master Chef

I give my dogs these. They do pretty good.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I have also used chondroitin and glucosamine on my redbone hound it worked great. Acupuncture and pain pills will help the symptoms (pain & stiffness) but the supplement actually addresses the problem by building up the cartilage in their joints. It's worth trying a bottle made for dogs just to see if it works Dog Arthritis Medicine: Canine Arthritis Medicine Choices for Dogs from Drs. Foster & Smith
Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
Executive Chef

It's been many years since I had a dog with arthritis but at the time, I gave him one aspirin daily. He was a fairly big dog - a Chesapeake Bay Retriever - and I'm not sure what the dosage would be for smaller dogs. Also, I vaguely recall reading something about not giving chihuahuas aspirin. I don't know what kind of dog you have or if they even give aspirin to dogs anymore so hopefully someone here will know more about this.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Master Chef

We used to give our dog (a collie) an aspirin a day as well. We stopped when she died three years ago, but it did help the whole time.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Here is a list of human medicines that work for dogs. They tell you the milligrams and to use buffered aspirin.
A:\meds.htm
Old 02-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Do any of you have animals with arthritis? If so, could you suggest what I can do till I take him to doctor to try acupuncture?
Thanks
You could probably do anything you feel like short of giving any type of medication. I'm assuming here that holistic type procedures are what you are after, since that is what acupuncture is?
I would like to hear how this works out for your dog, after you decide to take him in.

Like others have suggested, there comes a time to mask pain to make your pet's life more comortable.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Here is a list of human medicines that work for dogs. They tell you the milligrams and to use buffered aspirin.
A:\meds.htm
Thank you for posting this site. Our dog Cubbie is showing most of the symptoms of a skin allergy (Atopy), and the things I have read said to change his diet (no wheat or corn) and that an antihistamine might help. We have switched him to a lamb and rice food. I have heard that Benadryl is okay for dogs, and this says it is okay. I will, of course, also talk to the vet about this and about my suspicions about Cubbie having Atopy.

Barbara
Old 02-24-2008, 02:05 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Of course the other thing is to make sure the dog stays off of cold floors, a nice warm sheepskin over his bed is ideal. I had a very old cat (pushing 19 at the time) with arthritis so I just took her to the vet once a month for an injection, steroids I think but wouldn't swear to it. Over exposure can cause kidney damage, or exaccerbate existing damage, which it did in her case but she was able to move a lot better for those last few months.

You could also try massage.