Ash Wednesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am incurably scatological, learned it from my Mom. I do know how to pick my audience, something my brother never learned.

I try not to swear because it does become an automatic response. I was taught that it is not the word but, how it is said. So in the world I came from shoot or shucks would be just as bad as any other choice of words. I am also intrigued by how we become desensitized to the use of certain words and phrases. One that comes to mind is"We got screwed". That would have sent my grandmother or my mother into orbit and today if you heard it on the evening news you would not bat an eye.

As far as lent goes I follow the no meat on Wednesday and Friday as a tradition. It allow me to dig out some old recipes that I tend to forget about at other times of the year. I usually give up watermelon or booze for lent.:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Margi: Ash Wednesday

My two married daughters Naia and Nathalia and I were just discussing this question ...

I have not decided whether to do so or not ( for my dad and Grandmom ).

M.C.

Mom swore, Dad didn't. I don't think any of us girls (a definitely large, female family) really swear very much. But then, I'll go to read to my shut-in-friends, and say something and their very born-again-Christian care-givers will on occasion give me grief. Well, half of that is the books I'm reading, which I will not censor (one complained about Of Mice and Men. Luckily my gals set them straight on the censorship issue. But I do have a tendency to say something like, "Oh, God!" once in awhile. I explained, and it is true .... I really do mean, please, give me strength. It's closer to praying than it is to swearing! Someone up there, please, I need some help here.

I've been told that you swear and pray in your birth tongue. Daddy always prayed (probably still does) in French. I think swearing probably wasn't allowed in his childhood, and he just never really got in the habit of it. I spent my late teens/early 20s in the service, but never really got the hang of the "F" word. I think the next time I'm mad at someone, just to surprise them, I'll say, "Oh, intercourse you!"

Swearing in Italian and Spanish Are Much Funnier !

Imagining calling someone a Vegetable ( Italians are famous for these expressions )? or a Mule´s Butt in Spanish ? Hilarious word gillipollas,
HILL I POI ASS ... sounds alot better than some of the English equivalents.

M.C.

Between Margi and Claire, I am reminded of how Quebecois swear in French:

Chalice! Tabernacle! Host! or if you are being extreme: Host of the tabernacle!

:ROFLMAO:

Mom swore, Dad didn't. I don't think any of us girls (a definitely large, female family) really swear very much. But then, I'll go to read to my shut-in-friends, and say something and their very born-again-Christian care-givers will on occasion give me grief. Well, half of that is the books I'm reading, which I will not censor (one complained about Of Mice and Men. Luckily my gals set them straight on the censorship issue. But I do have a tendency to say something like, "Oh, God!" once in awhile. I explained, and it is true .... I really do mean, please, give me strength. It's closer to praying than it is to swearing! Someone up there, please, I need some help here.

I've been told that you swear and pray in your birth tongue. Daddy always prayed (probably still does) in French. I think swearing probably wasn't allowed in his childhood, and he just never really got in the habit of it. I spent my late teens/early 20s in the service, but never really got the hang of the "F" word. I think the next time I'm mad at someone, just to surprise them, I'll say, "Oh, intercourse you!"
My grandfather was determined that his family would be raised strictly "American," so my mom said the only time they ever heard Swedish spoken at home was during Christmas and birthday planning, and when her dad hit his thumb with the hammer. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom