"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #31
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Claire when you talk about stuff like this, you make me so nostalgic about growing up and life with my family.
We didn't eat meat on Friday's either. Friday fish fry's in Wisconsin, a Wisconsin tradition. Especially during lent.
Lent was a time when we had to give up something. Chocolate, candy, something we liked......it was a struggle to figure out what to give up.

I see some people giving up the internet now.
I see some people giving up TV.
I see some people giving up eating out.

It was a question of giving up something that we valued (or a dependance) that had no value in the big picture (the heavenly picture).

I was thinking of my mom. She has a computer virus or someone hacked her account. I am thinking of asking her to give up her viruses (joke).

I wonder what she gave up this year for lent?
Believe me, Friday fish fries are still a big tradition around here during lent. My sis came to visit for my birthday a number of years ago and she saw bunches of signs: Lenten specials: All-You-Can-Eat Fish Fry! All Fridays during Lent!!! She cracked up. "Isn't all you can eat sort of against the theory of Lent???"
__________________

__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #32
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Believe me, Friday fish fries are still a big tradition around here during lent. My sis came to visit for my birthday a number of years ago and she saw bunches of signs: Lenten specials: All-You-Can-Eat Fish Fry! All Fridays during Lent!!! She cracked up. "Isn't all you can eat sort of against the theory of Lent???"
That is very funny and SO TRUE. If you can't eat meat, you'll have fish, and darn it, you have to eat A LOT of it!!!
__________________

__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #33
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And I forgot Son #1. He worked for years with kids in the Little League. So he has never sworn. Never developed he habit.
Addie, I work with adolescents and I'm usually pretty good around them. There are a few moments when I swear for shock value with them, but otherwise I'm good. My downfall is driving though. *sigh* Still working on it.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Addie, I work with adolescents and I'm usually pretty good around them. There are a few moments when I swear for shock value with them, but otherwise I'm good. My downfall is driving though. *sigh* Still working on it.
My mum was known for not swearing. She wouldn't even say, "I hate his guts." She would say, "I dislike his guts."

But, once in a blue moon, she would let out a few of those words. It was always intentional and everyone knew she was really angry, when she did.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
My roommate when I was studying in Quebec City taught me how to swear in French. She was from France, and told me that her great-aunt told her that if she wanted to say merde, to say it as if one were dropping one's hanky. It is very effective. I swear selectively--when I do, I'm MAD, but, I follow my roommate's auntie's advice.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #36
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Addie, I work with adolescents and I'm usually pretty good around them. There are a few moments when I swear for shock value with them, but otherwise I'm good. My downfall is driving though. *sigh* Still working on it.
I know how you feel. I've been working on my "blue" language for a few years now and I've come a long ways in improving that but my job is such that dropping a WTF? bomb is not only cathartic but almost part of the job description!
__________________
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,766
well, i blew it. i had bread last night. i forgot what i was sacrificing, so i had a piece of irish soda bread last night.

looks like it's going to be chocolate.

it'll make easter chocolate that much sweeter.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Now you're doomed, BT. Not even a whole day?
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #39
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady

My mum was known for not swearing. She wouldn't even say, "I hate his guts." She would say, "I dislike his guts."

But, once in a blue moon, she would let out a few of those words. It was always intentional and everyone knew she was really angry, when she did.
That sounds like my grandmother. The first time I heard her swear I thought the world was going to end. I was even more shocked when my grandfather (who was 5'11") ran to his bedroom like death was on his heals and slammed the door shut (he was who she was swearing about). I was baffeled by his behavior because she's only 4'10". I knocked on his door and he peeked out. I asked why he was affraid of grandma since she was little and cute and he was big and tough. His response was "Yeah but she swore!" and then he closed the door again. He didn't come back out for a couple hours.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #40
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
That sounds like my grandmother. The first time I heard her swear I thought the world was going to end. I was even more shocked when my grandfather (who was 5'11") ran to his bedroom like death was on his heals and slammed the door shut (he was who she was swearing about). I was baffeled by his behavior because she's only 4'10". I knocked on his door and he peeked out. I asked why he was affraid of grandma since she was little and cute and he was big and tough. His response was "Yeah but she swore!" and then he closed the door again. He didn't come back out for a couple hours.
I have shared this before, but this reminded me of it. There was never any swearing in our house (as an adult I heard my dad use a couple swear words when he got really angry about something, but I could count those times on one hand). The strongest thing my mom ever said was "darn." I will never forget when I was at the grocery store with her when I was 13 or 14. When she asked the butcher for pork butt, I almost passed out! I was in my 20s before I ever used the word butt (other than in terms like "butt of the joke," "rifle butt," etc.). Even now the strongest word you will generally hear out of my mouth (even if you drop something heavy on my foot) is "shoot." In just the last couple years (I'm 54) I have used the word "crap" but just a handful of times, and I still get the feeling that I am doing something wrong.
I can talk about and write about beaver dams, but I still refer to the other spelling of it as "the D word." I hate to read or hear swearing.
__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.