Ash Wednesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was a child, we gave up candy. It was the only time of year that my mom absolutely stuck to no meat on Fridays.

Claire when you talk about stuff like this, you make me so nostalgic about growing up and life with my family.
We didn't eat meat on Friday's either. Friday fish fry's in Wisconsin, a Wisconsin tradition. Especially during lent.
Lent was a time when we had to give up something. Chocolate, candy, something we liked......it was a struggle to figure out what to give up.

I see some people giving up the internet now.
I see some people giving up TV.
I see some people giving up eating out.

It was a question of giving up something that we valued (or a dependance) that had no value in the big picture (the heavenly picture).

I was thinking of my mom. She has a computer virus or someone hacked her account. I am thinking of asking her to give up her viruses (joke).

I wonder what she gave up this year for lent?

i'm still tring to decide. i haven't eaten today, so everything's still available.

i can't give up tv or i'd have to quit my job.

my usual foregoings are either chocolate or beef. i need to think of a new one. maybe bread.

i'm still tring to decide. i haven't eaten today, so everything's still available.

i can't give up tv or i'd have to quit my job.

my usual foregoings are either chocolate or beef. i need to think of a new one. maybe bread.

pasta

Cookies, cakes, doughnuts, pastry....all those things that I was supposed to NOT start eating again but fell off the wagon starting at Thanksgiving. They are being banned from the house OR must be hidden out of my sight.

god doesn't love you anymore, zhi... :rolleyes:

j/k.

i know for a fact that he's not real keen on andy right now.

I called my mom. She's not giving chocolate or anything else up. She's going to read the bible everyday.

BuckyTom--how's he feel about me?;)

Growing up, the only time I ever heard about Lent was when my Catholic friends talked about it. I am a devout Christian, but not all Christian religions follow the practice of Lent.

That said, although I don't follow this practice, I did think about it this morning, and rather than give something up, what I have decided to do is to make a real effort to cut down on my portions when I eat. This has been a big problem for me, especially since we went through a couple really lean years, often only having one small "meal" (a cheap TV dinner, or a can of vegetables) a day. The goal, of course, is to continue this, but I figured that since this is when so many are talking about giving something up, it would be a good time to focus on it. :cool:

I'm not Catholic either but I am a Christian (although not a very good one) and instead of observing Lent in the traditional way, I just try and keep what's going on in mind leading up to Easter.

I also look for good fish sammiches. I like me some good fish sammiches! :)

I also love the fact that I can justify going out and getting sea food EVERY Friday night for dinner!

I'm ALWAYS trying to give up swearing. ALWAYS.

I'm also going to make a bigger effort to "turn the other cheek" and not react negatively when I'm provoked.

Alix said:
I'm ALWAYS trying to give up swearing. ALWAYS.

I'm also going to make a bigger effort to "turn the other cheek" and not react negatively when I'm provoked.

Well, why the #%^€ would you want to give up swearing, Alix? &@:*!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom