Auld lang Syne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
What the heck does that mean? Happy New Year? all my life sing it and ashamed I don't know what or who it is.

I've heard that it is an 18th century Robert Burns song, but I don't know what those words themselves mean - good question! :)[FONT=comic sans ms, papyrus,arial, helvetica, verdana][FONT=comic sans ms, papyrus,arial, helvetica, verdana][FONT=comic sans ms, papyrus,arial, helvetica, verdana][FONT=comic sans ms, papyrus,arial, helvetica, verdana][FONT=comic sans ms, papyrus,arial, helvetica, verdana][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

It was written by Robert Burns (from an earlier poem) in about 1780s. The Scots when they emigrated took the song to the far corners of the earth. It is sung (with varying amounts of original Lallans words) throughout the world. 'For auld lang syne' is accepted as meaning 'For old times, long gone'.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!

Chorus.-For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

And surely ye'll be your pint stowp!
And surely I'll be mine!
And we'll tak a cup o'kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.
For auld lang syne etc.

We twa hae run about the braes,
And pou'd the gowans fine;
But we've wander'd mony a weary fit,
Sin' auld lang syne.
For auld, &c.

Wet wa hae paidl'd in the burn,
Frae morning sun till dine;
But seas between us braid hae roar'd
Sin' auld lang syne.
For auld, etc

And there's a hand, my trusty fere!
And gie's a hand 'hine!
And we'll tak a richt gude-willie waught,
For auld lang syne.
For auld, etc

This song has been part of my life since I was a very young girl. My Dad was a real Burns fan, and so am I. :)

Thank-you Ishbel, I was really hoping that you would be able to shed more light on this subject, and indeed you did. Very cool, thank-you :)

The Scots are like the Jewish people, we wander the face of the earth, taking our customs with us!

A guid new year tae yeese aw.:)

Wonderful Ishbel

Ishbel said:
The Scots are like the Jewish people, we wander the face of the earth, taking our customs with us!

A guid new year tae yeese aw.:)

Now I will know all the words, not just the auld lang syne. Will sing this tonite and have copy yo provided. Thanks

It would be nice to know what some of it means. I understand the first verse and the chorus, but after that I'm lost.

In today's Sacramento Bee they had the song and also what it meant.Very interesting reading. Since I am a two fingered typeset I'd be here tell next year posting it.......:LOL:

Modern English Translation of Auld Lang Syne

Should old acquaintances be forgotten
and never remembered
Should old acquaintances be
forgotten
and days long ago

Chorus
For days long ago , my dear,for days long ago!
We'll drink a cup of kindness yet
For days long ago.

And surely you'll have your pint tankard
and surely I'll have mine
And we'll drink a cup of kindness yet
for days long ago

Chorus
We two have run about the hills
And pulled the daisies fine
But we've wandered many a weary mile
Since the days long ago.

Chorus
We two have paddled in the stream
From morning sun tell dinner time
But the broad seas have roared between us
Since the days long ago

Chorus
So take my hand my trusty friend
And give me your hand
And we will take a Hearty drink together
In memory of those days now past.

Last edited:
Since no one has commented on the Modern Version of Auld Lang Syne...( and I typed it all using the two fingers method ( You all must have read it before.
Marge :ermm:

Twenty out of ten for your effort, Dove :)

I didn't comment because I KNOW what the words mean! But thank you for your efforts.

Dove

Thanks and i commend you on your effort. Of course, I know you always give from the heart. Hope you and yours doing okay? Haven't read many comments. Sorry. Did you get to sing this with heart? Your version sounds more familiar from the shows on tv. Did you get to see Dick Clark on New Years? Felt sorry for him. Guess like the doctors don't want to quit. I think Regis and him are th same age? I didn't see Regis but I didn't want to miss Dick Clark. Thanks again Dove for your time and efforts. Just think of you nd hope all is well.Or pretty well.

So far so good..still on my feet..no falls and we are in the second day of the New Year. Pretty good huh..LOL Thanks for asking.
No I missed Dick Clark. We were watching something else but we did see the Ball drop and welcomed in the New Year.
Marge

Happy

So far so good? That is great news! I am keeping you both in my thoughts. I always hope you will not let life get the best of you no matter what it makes you jump through. Already had some bad news for 2006 but have to get passed it. Give my best to your better half and of course Dove. She doesn't want nothing to go wrong either. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my request. I havealways heard it sung but never remembered the words. The best to you both 2006!

Back
Top Bottom