Aussie Slang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aussie girl

Senior Cook
An American epal sent this site to me. I though it was hilarious, and may be a helpful reference guide for any non-aussies here in understanding our lingo at times.

http://www.aussieslang.com/slang/australian-slang-a.asp

One of my favourites being;
"Chunder; verb: - to vomit, usually when drunk. Perhaps from 'up and under'.

Legend has it though that the term hails from the time of the long ships that transported convicts to Australia. It was a twelve month trip, and the seas would often be stormy, causing the ships to roll from side to side; a prescription for sea-sickness.

The convicts were housed in bunk-like beds, which was generally where you ended up if you were feeling ill. A convict on the top bunk who was about to vomit would yell "Watch out under" to warn the inhabitants of the lower bunks of the pending delivery.

As with most Australian slang, the phrase "Watch out under" got shortened to "Chunder", or so the story goes."

Thanks aussie girl, those are great! I'll have to remember "a bit more choke & you would have started" the next time TC decides to try & blow us all away.:rolleyes:

Hello Aussie Girl
I was interested to read some of the Australian slang - and more than a little suprised to find many, many of the expressions were English or Cockney rhyming slang!

Heheheeee - are you convicts STILL pinching our stuff? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the link...

After living in Oz for 11 years, many of those terms became part of my natural vocabulary... which caused some raised eyebrows at meetings I facilitated when I returned to the U.S.

Even now, years later, I pronounce certain words or use language differently than others with whom I work or socialize. I'm just never sure anymore how to pronounce certain words - - as both are technically correct.

For the longest time after returning to the U.S. I would occasionally walk up to the wrong side of the car to get in to drive (especially when I was thinking about something else).:wacko:

Ishbel said:
Heheheeee - are you convicts STILL pinching our stuff? :ROFLMAO:

Yep, and then perfecting it! :rolleyes:

But then, just to make things even, a quick visit to a website for UK slang, refers to many of yours that are of Australian origin. eg:
amber nectar - beer
ankle biters - kids
arvo - afternoon
barbie - bbq
bathers - swimming costume (aussie/NZ)

SA slang similar

I see a lots of similarities between UK/NK Aussie and South African slang, and sayings, too.

I've taught the analysts at work that a "thumb suck" is an estimate/guess based on absolutely no analysis. They now know about "Bob's your uncle", "Not Half!" and a bunch of others. It's a big responsibility, this...!

Mr. Z....Towards your comment about your funny accent showing up sometimes...this happends to a lot of people! I've walked to the wrong side of the car often, and once or twice (horrors) accidentally turned onto the wrong side of the road. Growing up all over the place which I did, (spent most of adult life in SA) I'm told I have a really odd accent - with my mom and family and people that I feel really comfortable with, I have a strong SA accent, which is something between Uk/Aussie. With Americans, it's American from all the years of going to school here, no trace of SA except if I get excited. I can't help it, and can't seem to control which accent comes out of my mouth! -Sandyj

aussie girl said:
Yep, and then perfecting it! :rolleyes:

But then, just to make things even, a quick visit to a website for UK slang, refers to many of yours that are of Australian origin. eg:
amber nectar - beer
ankle biters - kids
arvo - afternoon
barbie - bbq
bathers - swimming costume (aussie/NZ)

Blame it on the Aussie soaps over here.... Neighbours has a lot to answer for, believe me!

Sandyj said:
once or twice (horrors) accidentally turned onto the wrong side of the road.

Yeah - - I've done that, too. The good news is that it usually happened when there were no other cars around. It's natural to go with the flow of traffic. Instinct usually kicks in when there are no others around to provide guidance, structure and caution.

Z

Aussie Girl are you trying to compound my problems ? I Haven't Learned American English yet. Then I moved to the South and found they talk really odd here, Ya All , All ya All, Cut off the lights , mash the button. I am just not ever going to get it. And Never ever say Your momma they"The WHOLE Family" Will Hunt You Down and Mount you to the Wall as a trophy :ermm: ! Now you want me to learn something else :wacko: ! HELP...................................:LOL: !

The Z said:
Even now, years later, I pronounce certain words or use language differently than others with whom I work or socialize. I'm just never sure anymore how to pronounce certain words - - as both are technically correct.

I can certainly relate Z. Years ago when holidaying in California, the topic came up with the different cars in our respective countries. Our host was telling us how much she loved the new 'sillycars', and wanted to save up for one. Had no idea what car she was referring to. When we were out and about, she pointed one out to us. She was talking about a Toyota Celica!

US pronounciation - Sillycar
Aussie pronounciation - Cell-ee-ca :LOL:

We lived in Darwin for over a year and there were people from all over Australia. Even though we basically all had the same accent different words were used in different states. We say cossies or swimmers for swimming costumes and SA and VIC say bathers. When I went to Adelaide i had to learn to say Fritz for devon!
The US seems to have developed very different accents between states and dialects as well. We could invent a world English dictionary!

aussie girl said:
US pronounciation - Sillycar
Aussie pronounciation - Cell-ee-ca :LOL:

US = NEEE-sahn
Oz = Nissan

US = LEE-zhur
Oz = Lehh-zhur (I mess this one up all the time)

(I got pretty used to Cel-EE-ca, too and have 'mispronounced' it many times here)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom