Auto ins. NY State??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DawnT

Sous Chef
Question... anyone know if DS can put his own insurance on a car that is not his but that in which he drives to and from work? He sold his car to sister and is turning in plates Mon (ok, I am doing the leg work!). Car is registered, licensed and insured in DH's name currently. Do we have any auto insurance agents out there currently working in NY? Help:ohmy:

There are a few issues here.

Who owns the car (in whose name is the title?) You say he sold it to his sister, but it's registered, licensed and insured in DH name.

I don't think you can register a car you do not legally own, so am I correct to assume that DH is the owner?

If, for some reason your children have been and will be the owners and Dh is the registrant, I think you have a big problem on your hands.

Insurance is mandatory in NY and it must be issued in the name of the registrant and must remain in the name of the registrant at all times.

Most insurance companies require that there be an insurable interest to get insurance. Because your son doesn't own the car, he doesn't have an insurable interest. Thus, most insurance companies won't give him insurance. But it's probably not necessary as most policies cover people you allow to use your car -- in other words DH's insurance will probably cover him. Check your policy and speak to your agent.

I am not an insurance agent but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Jennyema you're a nut! thank you for the laugh!! "I am not an insurance agent but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night" ROFLMAO :>) As to the ? he sold his own car to sister, is driving DH's now. Guess he will have to transfer reg over into his name in order that he does not drop out of insurance heaven and into high risk pool next year when he plans on buying a new car. Since he is 2 mos. shy of 21 his rates drop down if he keeps a car insured from now til then too. Title to DH's car is in both DH's and son's name.

Last edited:
You make me :blush:, Bob!

So he is driving DH's car? Then he should be covered under Dh's insurance. No need to change the registration, etc. Check the policy. Most of the time they have to be listed specifically as drivers on the policy if they live in your house.

If he had insurance before on his car, perhaps he should wait 2 months to sell it to sis if that helps his rates.

Last edited:
I am driving a car right now that is in my FIL's name. We can't get it insured because we are not the owner.
But if he and the sister are both living in your house, they are most likely assumed to be drivers of the vehicle wether they actually do drive it or not, so you are being charged extra for them to be insured on it anyway.
Did I make any sense? I slept at home last night so I ain't too bright......

ROFLMAO(whats left of it, that is!) You make sense,suziequzie! Sister is married and on her own. Son has had own policy for almost 5 yrs now. This is why we want to keep him with insurance. Otherwise it is like lapsing and he goes into the high risk pool. 2xs the amount of $ he is paying already. Ok, no more silly jokes...my sides hurt and the dogs are looking at me like I need to go out!!!

Back
Top Bottom