Average Measurements Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
It's been a long time since I've lived in an apartment. Miss those days.

I'm getting a great deal on some whole chickens. Already in for 1 case. 4 cases are possibly available. 14 whole chickens per case.Average size is between 4 & 5 Lbs.

I'm planning on keeping a few chickens, maybe 2, and donating the rest.

The neighbor doesn't know it yet but she's going to be helping me to find family's and people that are older with heath issues & have a hard time getting around that could use them. She knows more people around here then I do. If she's not available I'll check with the local church and see if they have the freezer space for them, then do as they see fit. 56 whole chickens. Oh man! :ROFLMAO: I better get cleaning out the kitchen fridge for this job. My upright freezer might not hold all 4 cases. 3 tops 4 is now iffy.

What is the average size of a freezer? Not sure how many to pack up for an average family of 5. Singles to..?

I'll check back in a while. It's rush hour for me.
Open to any and all suggestions on what to do with all of them.

Thank you.

Munky.

Pack the chickens individually. That gives you the most flexibility for distribution and finding spaces in the freezer to stick them. If a larger family needs more, just give them two bags. If you're not going to have them long, you can put them in cheapo plastic bags and freeze them. For longer term storage, put two bagged chickens in a larger freezer bag.

I have no idea what the average freezer size is, sorry.

Last edited:
Update: Workin' Already

Ok, I'm definitely in for 3 cases. Butcher called.. Gee thanks Wally! :LOL:

They're already frozen and placed into single cryovaced (sp) bags. Labeled, dated, weighed. Will be delivered here tonight. That frees me up to get them outta here asap.

Munky.

Ok, I'm definitely in for 3 cases. Butcher called.. Gee thanks Wally! :LOL:

They're already frozen and placed into single cryovaced (sp) bags. Labeled, dated, weighed. Will be delivered here tonight. That frees me up to get them outta here asap.

Munky.

Well that's good it'll save you a lot of extra work.

Pack the chickens individually. That gives you the most flexibility for distribution and finding spaces in the freezer to stick them. If a larger family needs more, just give them two bags. If you're not going to have them long, you can put them in cheapo plastic bags and freeze them. For longer term storage, put two bagged chickens in a larger freezer bag.

I have no idea what the average freezer size is, sorry.

Luckily they had already thought to package them individually. Didn't know that until this morning. Labels are a little extra work for them. I'm thinking long term down the road people will wonder where those free range chickens came from. Now they will know. Makes them look good to!

The reason why I asked what's the average size freezer is because some of the family's that I'll be delivering them to only have small freezers. I just want to make sure that yes, if 4 are enough to help them out is enough. I don't want to drop a case of chicken off on her lap and now make it her problem. This is my doing. All I'll ask is that my name be kept out of it entirely.

I just happened to luck into this deal. I'm getting them @ cost. It doesn't happen often. He remembered me when I ordered a case to feed my dog. He must have thought I was insane. Well yeah, I am.. And..?:LOL:

Anyways he's also sending over a stack of paper bags to make it easier for me. All I have to do is mark them with names.

If I cooked a few up in the Rotisserie, then put them is a flavor sealed bag is that a safe thing to do?

Thank you for the help

Munky.

What a lovely idea. I do not believe there is such a thing as an "average" size freezer. I think the smallest of the home freezers is something like 7-8 cubic feet (that's what I had most of my married life). On the other hand, most of my childhood we had a huge one. It was too large for my folks' current house, so now it's smaller. But a lot of people you're donating to will NOT have separate freezers, so individual packing is important. I'm not in need, but right now if someone gave me four chickens that were frozen together, I'd either have to turn them down, or thaw and cook, then freeze.

Addie's food bank suggestion is the best. They know how to manage such things.

Munky,
you are such a special woman. I'm so glad I had the pleasure of meeting you and your family at Phil's. What a sweet and generous thing you're doing.
cj

Luckily they had already thought to package them individually. Didn't know that until this morning. Labels are a little extra work for them. I'm thinking long term down the road people will wonder where those free range chickens came from. Now they will know. Makes them look good to!

The reason why I asked what's the average size freezer is because some of the family's that I'll be delivering them to only have small freezers. I just want to make sure that yes, if 4 are enough to help them out is enough. I don't want to drop a case of chicken off on her lap and now make it her problem. This is my doing. All I'll ask is that my name be kept out of it entirely.

I just happened to luck into this deal. I'm getting them @ cost. It doesn't happen often. He remembered me when I ordered a case to feed my dog. He must have thought I was insane. Well yeah, I am.. And..?:LOL:

Anyways he's also sending over a stack of paper bags to make it easier for me. All I have to do is mark them with names.

If I cooked a few up in the Rotisserie, then put them is a flavor sealed bag is that a safe thing to do?

Thank you for the help

Munky.

Munky, you do understand that that is the highest form of giving. I'm pleased to be in your company. Bless you.

Yes, rotisserie cooking then refreezing is a definite way to go if you're so inclined. That's what people (and yes, I've been among them) do when a natural disaster leaves them w/o electricity for long enough to thaw the freezer. You cook all the raw, thawed meat then, when the electricity comes back on, you freeze the sauces, stews, chilis, etc.

Chef Munky said:
I'm getting a great deal on some whole chickens...I'm planning on keeping a few chickens, maybe 2, and donating the rest....The neighbor doesn't know it yet but she's going to be helping me to find family's and people that are older with heath issues & have a hard time getting around that could use them.
I loved ready this thread. It's very heartwarming to know that older people with health issues are being cared for and your thoughtfulness will not go unnoticed. God is watching us. Thank you Munky. :flowers:

Yes, rotisserie cooking then refreezing is a definite way to go if you're so inclined. That's what people (and yes, I've been among them) do when a natural disaster leaves them w/o electricity for long enough to thaw the freezer. You cook all the raw, thawed meat then, when the electricity comes back on, you freeze the sauces, stews, chilis, etc.
That's a great way to handle it, if you can still cook. All electric here, so no power means no regular, indoor cooking.

Back
Top Bottom