"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-03-2006, 08:00 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Praying mantis is very good joo-joo for your garden!

Raven - I'd love to hear about your mouth-wash spray!

Old 06-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Oh sure! :)

To 1 Gallon Water add:

1 Tbl. Mouthwash. - This is the actual bug-killer. (I find Scope works best, though I've only tried the original green)
1 Tbl Canola Oil - To stick to the plant and the bugs
1 tsp Liquid Dish Soap - Wetting Agent - Just make sure that it's NOT anti-bacterial.
1/2 Cup 3% Hydrogen Peroxide - Optional - Supposed to have various benefits

Stir well and spray.

It works great on soft-bodied insects like Aphids and Spider Mites but, since it's not as powerful as a chemical insecticide, repeated spraying is necessary to kill them all off. I usually spray once a day for 3 days being sure to completly soak the stems and leaves (top and bottom) until the bugs are gone.

Oh and this is strictly a contact killer. It dosen't stay on the plant long and is not an effective repellant.

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #13
Master Chef

If I remember from when I worked in an entomology dept, aren't praying mantis carnivores? I don't know what a baby one looks like. You WANT them in your garden, ugly and startling 'though they may be if so. People spend money to buy them for their gardens!!
Old 06-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #14
Master Chef

Praying Mantis are one of the VERY BEST things your garden can have!!! I thank my lucky stars that we have dozens & dozens if not more on our property. There's nothing "nasty" about them at all.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Oh yeah I definately hope he hangs around and calls my place home for a while and eats anything that wants to eat my plants (except me of course LOL!)

I'm one of the wierd people who have never seen them as ugly, I actually think they are one of the prettier bugs in the garden, and I took this one's picture because he's just a baby and so cute!!! He looked right at the camera just as I snapped the picture :D

When I went out to water the pot this morning he was still sitting there, but by noon he had flown off somewhere (hopefully a bird didn't get him)

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #16
Master Chef

Back in NY, I once watched one sit outside a hornet nest & catch & eat the hornets like they were fried chicken. Entertaining & beneficial at the same time - lol!!
Old 06-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to 240brickman Send a message via Yahoo to 240brickman
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Back in NY, I once watched one sit outside a hornet nest & catch & eat the hornets like they were fried chicken. Entertaining & beneficial at the same time - lol!!
I don't see many preying mantises around here; I think I've seen maybe 3 or 4 in the 20+ years I've lived here. But when I lived in NY (not real far from the Hudson River), they were abundant all through the summer. So I think it has to do with having a major water source nearby.

I agree that aside from their fearsome appearance, they're quite beneficial.

Anyone remember that movie (from the 70's, I think) where the 100-foot mantises attacked the town? I'm pretty sure it was mostly special effects. They probably only had one 100-foot mantis, and used him in all of the scenes.

--J

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/103...75_1037746.jpg
240brickman is offline   Reply With Quote