"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Smile Awww.. Look what I found in my Basil

Look what I just found in my Basil :)

It's a baby preying mantis. :)

Sorry about the fuzzy picture, the basket moved just as I took the snap.

I hope he eats plenty of bugs. :)
~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Master Chef

Don't you just love them?? I love finding all the egg cases in my bushes & trees - lots & lots of totally organic insect control.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

raven, do you practice organic gardening?

i see several praying mantises each year in my garden. i've only seen them in organic gardens, or at least in ones that very little chemicals are used.

i wonder if it is because they don't like the chemicals themselves, or there's not as much food for them. hey, maybe my organic bugs are tastier...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Have you ever seen those really big ones? I saw one that had to be 6 inches long on some celery growing out in the yard in California. That thing was UGLY!!!!

Memories -- I also remember a time when my grandmother use to tell me to stay away from them because they spit tobacco at you. :)
Old 06-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Yeah Bucky :)

I didn't start out that way but I have serious respritory troubles (COPD). One year I bought a bottle of Daconil for my tomatoes but after reading the warning on the label (may cause upper respritory infections) I 86'd that idea. That and the fact that we live in an upstairs apartment and one of our downstairs neighbors has 2 kids (one 2 year old and 1 newborn) so I don't want to take any chances with blow-over.

The only chemicals I use in the garden now-a-days is a mouth-wash spray for Spider Mites (which I need to fix up, the plant just underneith that one is infested so I hope that's what he's eating) and usually a milk-mix for powdery mildew, but my tomatoes have Antracose this year so I'm going to have to buy something this year (for the first time in 3 years).

I'm planning on picking up a bottle of Serenade which claims to be "all-purpose organic disease control" and see how that works. :)

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyMist
Have you ever seen those really big ones? I saw one that had to be 6 inches long on some celery growing out in the yard in California. That thing was UGLY!!!!

Memories -- I also remember a time when my grandmother use to tell me to stay away from them because they spit tobacco at you. :)
LOL! I've heard that too!

We used to catch those big ones when we were kids. My oldest sister was scared of them but my yongest sister could have been an entymologist. She loved them.

We never kept them though. Mom always said they would eat the bugs in the garden so don't hurt them and let them go when we were done.

~ Raven ~

Old 06-02-2006, 03:12 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I rarely see them here. Once every couple years or so.
Ugly creatures yet so intriguing. Did you know it's illegal to
kill them ? Unless that's just a law here ?
Old 06-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
Master Chef

When we first bought our farm here in VA 10 years ago, for our first Xmas we went to one of the local cut-your-own Xmas tree & brought one home. Little did we know that it had a couple of Mantis egg cases in it.

Needless to say, with the warmth of the house, within a couple of weeks I had a gazillion baby mantises running all over the house!! It was so sad because it was below freezing with snow on the ground, so I couldn't release them outside. Most of them perished, but believe it or not I did still have some popping up here & there (a testament to my housekeeping. . . . ) when it was warm enough outside to catch & release them, which I did.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #9
Head Chef

I'm not an avid gardener, so when I saw the picture, first thought was quick kill it!! I didn't realize these little guys are good for your garden.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
When we first bought our farm here in VA 10 years ago, for our first Xmas we went to one of the local cut-your-own Xmas tree & brought one home. Little did we know that it had a couple of Mantis egg cases in it.

Needless to say, with the warmth of the house, within a couple of weeks I had a gazillion baby mantises running all over the house!! It was so sad because it was below freezing with snow on the ground, so I couldn't release them outside. Most of them perished, but believe it or not I did still have some popping up here & there (a testament to my housekeeping. . . . ) when it was warm enough outside to catch & release them, which I did.
I just had two mantis cases hatch, one on the house and mind you the case was the color of our house and one on the meyer lemon tree and it was the same bark color as the bark of the lemon tree. The rascals turn color to what they are on!!! Now I've never had a mantis spit at me, but, I can tell you those nasty eat everything in it's path grasshoppers will get ya good if not ..carefull
kadesma